Home Technical Talk

Has anyone ever baked mr bump to normal map in maya?

I am trying to bake a mental ray bump shader to a normal map using maya transfer maps however I can't seem to get it to recognize the mr shader. Has anyone ever tried this? Is there a way to render a normal map using the custom shader option?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I've never been able to manage it either, unfortunately. I'd love to know if someone has, though! It'd be really useful for baking LOD models from normal-mapped lowpolys.
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guriamo polycounter lvl 17
    usually when you click on the tickbox "include materials" in the transfer maps tab, it should include the normal map on the model into the bake...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Guriamo: Hmm, whenever I've tried that it's always baked out really weird, like it's ignoring my map settings (eg. baking world space normals instead of tangent-space)... maybe I just set it up wrong... I'll have a mess around now and see if I can get something working.
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guriamo polycounter lvl 17
    i just used it recently to bake out a rock wall made out of single rocks that were already normal mapped.

its not perfect but it works quite well.... maybe its different with more technical stuff.