Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hydra AA Tank

Hey guys, I'm working on a Hydra Tank that is going off the base tank of a Chimera from Warhammer 40k, Chimara Picture.

So the Idea is having this piece as like an upgrade that would sit ontop of the tank hull. I've spent a couple hours on it, and started fleshing out the gun, still need to flesh out the piece sitting on the hull.

hydra_wip_02.jpg

Let me know what you guys think :)

Replies

• Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could do with moving your model up when you render, you've cut off some at the bottom and left some blank space at the top ;)

the model looks nice, you've stayed pretty true to the GW chimera, I'm pretty sure on forgeworld theres an actual model of this, have you looked at that? also is this a Subd project or just a high poly one?
  • pbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dig your tire treads, cool!
  • Silth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, Forge World has there version of it, it's pretty neat, a bit expensive though.

That's why I'm designing my own, so that I can do a 3D print of it. I also want it to be like an upgrade, so that it can just sit on top the chimera body. That's why I actually have it cut off at the moment, more interested in the turret design the the chimera body :)

The reason I'm changing it from what FW has is because I don't want to step on there IP when I do my print. For some reason companies get prickly about stuff like that.

I'm going to start working on the actual top piece that sits on the chimera hull next, and see what I can do to make that look good.

Here's what I'm using as reference for the turret
    gepard1.jpg
  • Silth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forge World is a company out of Great Britain that does resin casts of Table Top Miniatures. I don't like the price they charge for such things so I'm creating my own. But here's the website and tank I'm referring to.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Imperial_Guard_Tanks/HYDRA-FLAK-TANK-COMPLETE-KIT_.html
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    By "creating my own", do you mean that you will be making a 3d sculpt with this? Or is it just for fun?
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sort of has that mechanical robot dr. who feel to it. Looks really impractical, first thoughts in my head.
  • Silth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophecies wrote: »
    By "creating my own", do you mean that you will be making a 3d sculpt with this? Or is it just for fun?

Yeah, I'll be doing a 3d sculpt of it, and then resin casts. I was going to do some work on it today, but unfortunantly I brought the wrong file with me up to the school :( total fail. But I'll have most of the day tomorrow and should get some good progress in.

n88tr wrote:
    sort of has that mechanical robot dr. who feel to it. Looks really impractical, first thoughts in my head.

Could you tell me what feels impratical about it to you, the hull design I can't change because that is what I'm building off of, but if there is something with the turret design that screams, wow this doesn't work. I'd love to know.

Thanks
  • Silth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, So just a little extra work done but I've got to go to talk to the Dean at my school.

But I figured I'd do some renders to help show what I'm trying to do, pardon the bad camera matching but I was running out of time. Hope this helps illustrate the concept :)

Original Real Life Model
    Chimera%20-%20001.jpg

Side View with out Original Turret, but with new Hull Topper and Hydra Turret.

hydra_wip_03.jpg

Front View
    hydra_wip_04.jpg

Back View
    hydra_wip_05.jpg

Any comments you guys have on the aesthetics or whatever of the model would be appreciated :)