Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scottish Claymore for Mount & Blade: Warband mod - WIP

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tristamus polycounter lvl 9
My "Generic Scottish Claymore"

I tried to put all I could into this prop, mainly cause it's going to actually be used for a Mount & Blade: Warband mod. I can't believe how good Marmoset makes your models look...it's really an awesome presentation tool.

Anyways, here's my pimp of my Scottish Claymore! I plan on doing some nice designs with the new alpha tools on it in Zbrush 4 soon ^_^

claymorebeautyshot3web.jpg

claymorebeautyshot2web.jpg

claymorebeautyshot4web.jpg

I'd put up the maps I used, but I'm super tired right now.... =P

thanks for any input guys, I'd like a critique if possible.

-Tristamus

Replies

• zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    This is all very nice, but how about some wires and textures, when you aren't that tired that is?
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why does this remind me of Braveheart?
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Bishop wrote: »
    Why does this remind me of Braveheart?

Scottish 2 handed sword :D

And awesome sword man
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    It looks good, but it would be nice to have some shots of the whole thing with wires, texture flats, etc.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
      It looks good, but it would be nice to have some shots of the whole thing with wires, texture flats, etc.

Haha yes, definitely will go ahead with posting those tonight. I'll post everything! Especially because I'd like to know if there is a better way of laying the UV's out for something like this....
    • MoP
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      MoP polycounter lvl 18
      Nice, it looks way better than the default weapon models :)
      How many polys? Looks pretty detailed, just wondering if you're in the high hundreds or high thousands...
    • tristamus
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      MoP wrote: »
      Nice, it looks way better than the default weapon models :)
      How many polys? Looks pretty detailed, just wondering if you're in the high hundreds or high thousands...

Thanks alot man, very encouraging to hear such things =)

Here's the maps, uv layout and wireframe. i am wondering, that before I send it off to be in the game, maybe I should just get rid of a bunch of those edge loops on the blade?

claymorecomp1.jpg
    • OpethRockr55
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      There's a lot of room for optimization here. There are a lot of needless loops on the blade (as you've said), and the hilt. Given how little of the detail you'll actually see in M&B, dropping the number of sides of those decorative rings wouldn't make much of an impact on the final product, especially once you get the normals on there.
    • tristamus
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      There's a lot of room for optimization here. There are a lot of needless loops on the blade (as you've said), and the hilt. Given how little of the detail you'll actually see in M&B, dropping the number of sides of those decorative rings wouldn't make much of an impact on the final product, especially once you get the normals on there.

You know, I definitely thought that'd be the case, but wasn't sure!!

I'll go ahead and do that now...
    • tristamus
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      tristamus wrote: »
      You know, I definitely thought that'd be the case, but wasn't sure!!

I'll go ahead and do that now...

Hey man, I have done what you suggested and I need to just ask a final question...

When the low-poly is at the point where it can be thrown into a game, if I am able to delete any edges that don't detract to much from it's overall detail and silhouette, should I?

What I mean is this...

claymorewireframe1.jpg

Should I just get rid of those edges and call it a day or what? They don't really serve any purpose as far as detail goes, because the blade is completely straight and I'm no longer doing anymore sculpting etc. in those sections...
    • ZacD
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      ZacD ngon master
      yup, when your doing the final low poly, anything that isn't affecting silhouette should be removed.
    • Dan!
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Dan! polycounter lvl 6
      something you may want to try is to toggle -use lights(with no lights in the scene) and model that way you only see silhouette.
    • odium
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      odium polycounter lvl 18
      Whats with the seriously off UV layout man? The handle takes up more space than the blade, theres like 50% wastage on the texture, and the blade isn't even straight...? And even though its not done, and it needs polygons removed, why did you do the texture...?

Seems a bit... Backwards...?
    • pior
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      pior grand marshal polycounter
      Sure thing about the UVs, but I gotta disagree on the whole 'if its not in the silhouette, remove the edges' talk. In this one case its not terribly costly and it might have helped quite a bit in terms of baking. Of course in Object Space it would have been a different story but here I would say its fine. Something to be careful with, but not anal with. (similar to "OMG quads are evil!" BS)

Good job on the screenshots!
    • odium
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      odium polycounter lvl 18
      What a second, Mount and Blade...? As in that indie game that looks third personish...?

I think you waaaaaay overdid the specs here, a 128x256 would likely be far more than enough.
    • tristamus
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      odium wrote: »
      What a second, Mount and Blade...? As in that indie game that looks third personish...?

I think you waaaaaay overdid the specs here, a 128x256 would likely be far more than enough.

Hey Odium!

As far as texture scale goes - I always work at 2048, and then go down in resolution from there - you can always go down from a high-Rez, but not the other way around, so I don't think working at a high res is a bad thing...

As far as why I textured it...what do you mean? I gave more uv space to the handle/hilt, because I plan on using this area for decorative purposes in the future and therefore I want more resolution for textures in that area. I started with the ambient occlusion and went from there!

Thank you for all the info guys :D. Keep it coming, thank you!
    • odium
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      odium polycounter lvl 18
      Well, going down in res isn't always a bad thing but there are limits. Most of the detailing you will do, just wont down sample if you plan on resizing down a huge ammount, so I would never go over, say, twice the size.

As the the pixel density issues, the handle (the leather part) would never be seen... its a sword...? So if anything wouldn't the BLADE be given more uv space (not that i would do it that way either but i make everythign 1:1 if possible).
    • Zipfinator
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
      odium wrote: »
      As the the pixel density issues, the handle (the leather part) would never be seen... its a sword...? So if anything wouldn't the BLADE be given more uv space (not that i would do it that way either but i make everythign 1:1 if possible).

This. When a sword is being used the character model's hands will be covering the hilt. It definitely shouldn't use the most texture space on the model.
    • tristamus
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Zipfinator wrote: »
      This. When a sword is being used the character model's hands will be covering the hilt. It definitely shouldn't use the most texture space on the model.

You know what - I definitely see your point! However, in laying out the uv's for the blade part, how am I actually supposed to make them any bigger than they already are, how do I fit them into the space in a way in which I can give more emphasis to the blade? I feel like it's already as large as it can / possibly should be...am I wrong?
    • Zipfinator
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
      You could either angle it which is bad for texturing or use a 256x512 or512x1024 sized texture which would be the better choice. This way you'll be texturing on a rectangle instead of a square which means your sword will have more room.
    • tristamus
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Zipfinator wrote: »
      You could either angle it which is bad for texturing or use a 256x512 or512x1024 sized texture which would be the better choice. This way you'll be texturing on a rectangle instead of a square which means your sword will have more room.

Hmm...I don't know if this is actually a concern for nowadays game engines, but what if a certain game engine does not support textures in that ratio? Or is it just generally accepted nowadays that next-gen game engines (UE3 for example) that it will be accepted, as long as it's ^2 size textures?
    • tristamus
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Hey odium, thanks for the pm about the engines and texture sizes man!

However, I'd still love to know how you produce your spec maps! What's your workflow??
    • Lt_Nicolas
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Sorry for resurrecting such an old post. But i love Claymores and can't find one for Warband. Is this project dead?