Home Technical Talk

3dsmax - radial symmetry

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
Does anyone know of a plugin for max that would let you select and manipulate a single mesh (without modifiers) via radial symmetry? Basically what I want to do is be able to do is, based of the objects pivot, have a specified number of instanced invisible cursors that perform the same operations as the user with an exact radial offset from each other over a single axis. This has been done before in both sculpt and paint programs. Examples:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf56JstJxsY[/ame]

http://vimeo.com/13776640

Now the question is, why? Why would someone want to do things that way instead of using the already perfectly good symmetry modifier or rotated instanced objects instead? The answer is speed and accuracy.

Say you have a 21 sided cylinder and every 3 segments of that is unique:

- With symmetry modifiers you can stack them (3x) for 24 segments and add an Edit_Poly modifier at the top to remove the extra segments and the merge edges. But because symmetry modifiers work based off of mirroring your geometry along its xform axis, not only is the geometry offset extremely difficult to calculate if you wish to rotate the mirror into place (meaning necessary 'eyeballing'), but it being mirrored means every section of 3 will be upside down.

- Rotation offset for instances can easily be calculated (3 / 21 * 360), but now you have separate meshes which means the borders are all unwelded and you can't preview them subdivided to see how they flow together. You could write a macro to merge all identical instances weld them at the borders, and add a turbosmooth, but this would be both tricky and dangerous (incorrectly combines objects, merges the wrong verts, undo que fails afterwords, etc.).

An edit poly modifier could be used to duplicate, rotate, and merge the sections, and then the user would work on the base object. However anyone who has used the edit poly modifier knows this would not work well, as its not designed to handle this sort of tasks and glitches would occur.

So now that you understand the problem, and the potential solutions issues, whats your take on how to best achieve Radial symmetry?

Edit: Updated for clarity

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Can you not just move the pivot then shift rotate the object with multiple instances or am i misunderstanding your question?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I think the array tool will help you out a ton here. Place your pivot point at the right spot, and bam. As for a plugin... not sure. Haven't seen one.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No copying/instancing objects like that isn't an issue, its selecting/manipulating/working on cylindrical objects with odd segments that is. Stacking symmetry modifiers isn't really ideal for this, and using all instanced objects comes with its own set of problems.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True true. I must admit this would be nice, not only in Max, but in Mudbox as well. I'm super jealous that Zbrush has it!
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    You're looking for the Lathe modifier :)
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure the lathe will do it. It depends on what you want done, but I can see some limitations to what it can do.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not quite, lathe is used to create a radial mesh from a shape, not modify components of a pre-existing radial mesh. Keep em coming though, I'm sure someone will uncover an equivalent eventually if it exists.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    What I usually do is plan ahead then use the array tool as Prophecies suggested. If it's a cylinder I'll make it with the needed number of sides, delete all but one then use the array tool to create the same number of instances, rotated accordingly.
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    I use a Symmetry with roatated point of mirror.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well say you have a 21 sided cylinder and every 3 segments of that is unique, you could use 3x symmetry modifiers and an edit poly modifier at the top to remove the excess slice geo that remained. But you'd have to eyeball the mirror rotations, unless you know how to get the symmetrical slices exact degree offset considering its aligned to an xform axis that's not in line with your existing pieces.

Now on the other hand, if were to use rotated instances they would all be disconnected from one another, so you couldn't use something like a turbosmooth on them and see how they look when combined. And an instanced Edit Poly modifier lets you manipulate all objects it's applied to simultaneously, but doesn't let you merge them.
  • Cap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap triangle
    From what google has told me, the gnomon dvd "Introduction to 3ds max" has a bit on radial symmetry. Its not on their actual website but its in every summary of the dvd on other websites. I'm not sure what it covers on the subject though as I dont own the dvd, but it might be something to look into if you can't find anything else.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updated first post for clarity.