Home Technical Talk

Photoshop and ESC

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
McGreed polycounter lvl 15
So I have had this problem for a while and its really starting to annoy me. When I got Photoshop open (CS3), my ESC doesn't work outside of Photoshop, unless I use Shift+ESC, which is quite frankly annoying.
How come Adobe hasn't fixed this problem yet, from my research its been there for years. Apparently they fixed it in CS5, but I really don't want to upgrade (pay more money) to fix a bug (and get a more heavy/bloat version).
Anyone found a way around this problem?

Replies

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I'm in cs4 at work and don't have the problem. Haven't used cs3 in 2 years but I never noticed that issue?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Works fine here, on WinXP 32bit. ESC stops a Firefox reload just fine.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    You can read about others who has the problem here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/372523 Just do a search for "Photoshop Esc not working" to find others. Some talk about another program you can have running to fix it, but I rather fix the problem, not work around it.
    I did some tests and it looks like Photoshop intercepts ESC press when I do it with other programs such as XnView. Instead of closing fullscreen in XnView, it affects the thing I'm doing in Photoshop instead (if it normally can be with ESC, like used for cancel). Its quite annoying when I'm testing maps with UDK, because I can't close the window unless I ALT+TAB out and close it from the menubar.