Home Technical Talk

Problems with Deep Paint 3D

Hi,

I was wanting to learn Deep Paint 3D, but pretty quickly found out that the project seems a little dead. My problem seems to be that Photoshop doesn't want to load the plug-ins. Does anyone know if it's able to support CS4?

Also, are there any alternatives out there? That is: a program that can export a "screen grab" into PS, then paint with your familiar tools in PS, then export it back and have it projected onto the model. I know there's some good alternatives out now, but I would be the most interested in something that lets me texture with Photoshop in a projection based manner.

I was very inspired by this guy, http://slipgatecentral.livejournal.com/26118.html, and that got me interested in a more projection based workflow of texturing.

I'm a noob with this stuff, and almost only done high-res stuff before (my first venture into low-poly stuff) so any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks!:)

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I think you can do this with Zbrush and ZappLink.But in prefer to use mudbox for things like that.

Here is a video of Zbrush+ZappLink+Photoshop:
    http://vimeo.com/8232901

There are more options to do this, but i actually forgot the names.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Mudbox works really well for this as does blender.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah fletch thats my opinion too, but i think he wants to use photoshop for texturing but in combination with projektion painting.Is that possible with mudbox?

I really should try blender when it´s final.I hated it when it had this old interface but i liked the new one in the alpha/beta and my hate towards blender was gone :D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    yeah, its not a very known feature but Mudbox can indeed export a screenshot as PSD and reimport in once painted over (it smartly saves camera coords as a layer name too, meaning that you dont have to worry about rotating the cam by accident)

Thats my favorite workflow too for heavily painted (oldschool) textures. Seems like for nextgenish stuff, actual 3D painting fits things best tho.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn´t know that despite using mudbox for quite some time now. Good to know :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find regardless of how nice Mudbox's tools get i still need photoshop to colour grade and heal photo sources as I work. Im itching to try out Mari. that has colour grading tools aparently and a healing tool.

Can Viewport Canvas do camera projection?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    using cs4 here and deeppaint 3d, you have to search for the plugin updates on the right hemisphere forums, it definitely works
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully you can get Deeppaint working, but if you can't and don't have Mudbox, here's how it works in Blender:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNd54jgesgk&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

The last time I checked it worked with Photoshop CS2 and I think it should work with CS4 as well without any issues.

The buttons have changed a little in the newer version of Blender but it's pretty much the same.

Get Blender 2.53 beta here or a newer build from here.
  • DMRadford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DMRadford polycounter lvl 9
    Unless I'm working on a super high poly model, I use Photoshop CS4 Extended to paint all my textures. Extended allows you to load your model right into photoshop for projection painting onto your diffuse, spec, ambient, bump and normal maps. It also makes a really clean pipe between 3d painting and 2d painting... some stuff is just easier (or only possible) in 2D.

-David
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dunno even 1k poly models where pretty slow in PS on my machine, 10k models have been unusably sloooooowwww
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Neox wrote: »
    dunno even 1k poly models where pretty slow in PS on my machine, 10k models have been unusably sloooooowwww

I experienced the very same issue, but I thought it was because of my relatively old graphic card, a GeForce 7950 GT, even if it sounded quite strange, as UT3 (a fairly larger amount of tris than 1K) runs very smooth at maximum quality.

I know Photoshop is OpenGL based and my card was not even supposed to work with it (why?), but the question is: How do newer cards from 2xx and 4xx series perform with PS?

Sorry for derailing the thread a little bit.
  • Angroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies, people. I was away, so I didn't get to respond.

I got a working version of the PS plug-in running, but I am having problems with DP3D still. When I click to export to photoshop, no screencap appears in PS. Been trying too look at the Help File, but havent found any clues so far.

And I wasn't aware that mudbox had projection painting with screencaps to Phootoshop. This sounds pretty awesome, since I am a big fan of Mudbox's simplicity towards workflows.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take a look at Mudwalker , awesome plugin :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i thought mudwalker is the bridge between the big 3d apps and mudbox? a save screen to psd is already built in in mudbox, what does mudwalker differen? :O
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Another alternative: In BodyPaint3d you can also save a .psd image of your camera view. Then you can paint in PS and reload and reproject as a layer in BP.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @neox: basically it just seems to be faster and should work in both ways(as far as i know didn´t test that to be honest, just read about it recently and photoshop was on it´s list)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is about texture projection not mesh transfer. Rather than screenshots the 'export to photoshop' option exports a screenshot, camera coords and splits the viewport shading into a sepeate layer so you can paint on the model then project it into the texture in mudbox
  • bugworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3d coat, definitely 3d coat. That thing has the best photoshop projection tools I've ever used. Zbrush is a pain compared to it, never projected stuff to PS from mudbox tho.
    In 3D Coat its dead easy, I'd say even easier than in Deep Paint. It one-button projects the whole thing to PS, preserve all layers back and forth, work with all channels(color, spec .etc), won't matter if u changed camera by accident. And moreover it projects flat UVs into photoshop too, quite like 3d paint in Photoshop CS4 itself. The software is designed to work with game texturing specificly with easy to use and photoshop integration in mind. You can texture the entire model this way in PS, just like how he did the bust with DeepPaint. I strongly recommend you check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg5XI5dGnZY&feature=channel
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    here a mudbox tutorial about the PS bridge...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqwsjLaJ-lc[/ame]

thats an official free tutorial from the autodesk channel...

and here an other one from Jonas Thornqvist...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB5KGwxKqjc[/ame]
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing about 3DCoat is there is no multiple material support so if your character has more than 1 tile you have to split it up. which is a pain.
  • Angroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow. Mudbox has gotten pretty sweet recently. Last time I checked I wasn't all that impressed with its painting capabilities, but now its pretty awesome. I got to try it out. I had a problem with its PSD export/import functionality, but the screen-to-PS worked like a charm. I wished i discovered projection painting with PS long time ago, because in my estimate it marries 2d and 3d texturing excellently. Brilliant for handpainting textures! Thanks folks for the help. Ill see if I can get a WIP thread started. : )
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Turns out I need to make a post and have the admins take a gander at it to make sure I'm not an android before I can make my own threads. So I figured this would be a good one, what up Johan? Is the whole Mudbox deal working out?

Now I don't mean to hijack your thread, but being a zBrush user myself I've tried out the zApplink plugin and I ran into a bit of a snag. Texture data in zBrush isn't stored in a bitmap but rather in its own pixol system which is essentially vertex color as far as I can tell. This means that my model needs to be really hipoly in order to get a good texture resolution, which I find rather counterproductive. Also when I tried it out I got some odd artefacts along uv seams when I exported it as a bitmap file.

What I'm essentially asking is if there's a way of working on a bitmap when texturing in zBrush?
  • bugworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    assign a texture and zappLink from Projection master?
    As far as I know this way cleans seams nicely.