Home General Discussion

Go Gearbox, GO!!!!!

polycounter lvl 17

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Haha watch Gearbox accomplish an awesome DNF in 2-3 years that 3d Realms couldn't in over a decade!
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    ebagg wrote: »
    Haha watch Gearbox accomplish an awesome DNF in 2-3 years that 3d Realms couldn't in over a decade!

I dunno....I'm still waiting for their Aliens: colonial marines.... hahahha.
    The titles Gearbox puts out are always pretty stellar so I dont mind waiting though :P
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I want to believe!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Where's my annoying Pig Cop sidekick character?
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Certainly hope this is true, I'm a big DN fan, one of the first ever games I've played. In fact I'm playing it again with the high resolution texture pack, they've taken it pretty damn far there's even some sort of parallax on a few textures, it breathes new life into the game.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    afaik the game was only about 6 months away from completion when it died, easy money for gearbox and take 2

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/12/fail_duke_nukem/all/1

Gearbox can spend maybe another year on it and make it on the cheap and then take 2 won't have to pay nearly as much in royaltees as they would have had to pay to 3drealms. The game comes out and everyone wins, except 3drealms and all their employees, I guess that only goes for those who are not going to be working on this at gearbox...
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I would rather Gearbox work on something new, unique, and great like they did with Borderlands. No need to redo some crappy ass old over hyped game that maybe less then 5% of the gaming population played that will most likely never live up the hype.

Then again if what rawkstar was saying how the game might be almost finished is indeed true, no need to throw away something that could turn a quick buck.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Well September is around the corner we will find out.

I remember a concept art or 3D Model of the Pig-Cop by someone, anyone got that laying around?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    rawkstar wrote: »
    afaik the game was only about 6 months away from completion when it died, easy money for gearbox and take 2

so that means they about finished pre-production then? ;)
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon, I don't share your pessimistic view. Duke Nukem as IP is still very strong. We haven't seen a true Duke Nukem game in years(big-budged FPS). Considering the background Gearbox has - it's a dream project from them too.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Autocon what are you smoking. The old Duke Nukems were incredible. I'd say almost every gamer who has been gaming for over 15 years played them. Hell I did and I was like 10.

That IP has a huge following and it'd be right up Gearbox's alley. The bits of humor from Borderlands would carry right over. I'm crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath... sounds like a rumor to me.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    vcortis wrote: »
    I'd say almost every gamer who has been gaming for over 15 years played them.

thats the thing though, most gamers haven't been gaming for 15 years. sure there is defiantly a hard core audience but the majority of gamers are casual gamers. And I think the majority of hardcore gamers is like the high school to mid 20's bracket. I defnatly know the game has a hardcore fan base/following but most people who own a console did not play it.

Yes the old duke nukems were great back then. And why not leave it that way. Why not create a few game universe that is just as great or better.

IDK maybe I think there are just to many sequels nowadays and not enough unique and compelling games. Some games deserve a sequel, but it seems most games dont.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Totaly agree with you Autocon,give me a new IP over that overhyped garbage
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    "most gamers haven't been gaming for 15 years"

there are more 30+ gamers than you would think

It would be great if they packaged it with quake 2 build they did of the game... I don't blame people for being negative about it ..if 3d realms came back online and said "we're back at making DNF, and it'll be done when it's be done.." I'd boo and hiss too....But like Rockstar said, quick win for Gearbox.....Didn't one of the founders of Gearbox start @ 3drealms...did ShadownWarrior..Now that game was entertaining as FUCK.....first time I had Sticky Bombs in a multi-player FPS...how fun was it to put sticky bombs at the spawn points to get a double kill when you offed your opponent..."Lo Wang wash you goood"
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    "Do you want to wash Wang, or do you want to watch Wang wash wang?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    This is one of few games I think really deserves a grandios collectors edition release, with hours of 'making of' footage and samples of the original versions in action (even if they're only being played through in video). Even if the game doesn't end up being that great in the end its got enough history behind it that it deserves to see some sort of release.

If it being good or bad is all that matters to you you're missing the point.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    if Duke Nukem Forever doesn't come out in the next 10 years, i'll make it my damned self!! I don't care who owns the IP - fuck em!!!
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    The writing in Borderlands was the best part of the game and a lot of those characters would fit in pretty well with Duke, so this could actually be a decent scenario. I wouldn't buy it but it'd warm my heart to know it was - if nothing else - funny.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    I loved Duke games when I was younger but I wasn't impressed with the little I saw from 10 Years of development at 3Drealms, 6 months to go or not.
    If Gearbox did get it then I'd rather they start from scratch and put their own take on it, even if it meant waiting another 2-3 years.

I thought stats showed the majority of gamers are around 30 years old?
    If so then a large percentage of them probably have played for 15+ years.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus wrote: »
    I loved Duke games when I was younger but I wasn't impressed with the little I saw from 10 Years of development at 3Drealms, 6 months to go or not.

WAAAAT~? I've been impressed by every single iteration of the game they've showed, they were all inovative given the time they would be released at. I do think the latest one is a bit generic and "next-gen" (dark brownish environments and so forth) but it still captured the vibe of the original game.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmP_vQAHaB8[/ame]
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    WAAAAT~? I've been impressed by every single iteration of the game they've showed, they were all inovative given the time they would be released at. I do think the latest one is a bit generic and "next-gen" (dark brownish environments and so forth) but it still captured the vibe of the original game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmP_vQAHaB8

I was talking about DK: Forever not the previous titles. As I said, they all rocked.
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    I think he was as well.

Anyway
    poker-chips.jpg

All on duke please.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I was talking about all the different iterations of Duke Nukem Forever that have been shown to the public. It's a very peculiar situation cause it's not one game being developed for 10 years, but several different games that were close to completion at different levels that could've been released on their own as different titles, development has been such a mess cause they've done everything from scratch multiple times. The point I was trying to make was that each of these attempts seemed to rock hard at the time they were supposed to be released.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=698llLo1T94[/ame]

Obligatory.

Anyway, didn't Gearbox bring Destructoid's Anthony Burch on? Mr. rants about character development, motivation and moral choices? I kinda doubt they brought him on to write "I'm gonna shit in your face while getting a lapdance."

Well, actually...
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    $!nz wrote: »
    Well September is around the corner we will find out.

I remember a concept art or 3D Model of the Pig-Cop by someone, anyone got that laying around?

Looking for this?
    http://www.tasmediafile.com/3dcg/pigcop.jpg
    http://www.tasmediafile.com/concepts/PigCop.jpg