Home General Discussion

Are Mobile games the wave of the future?

I noticed this article on the BBC News website and thought it would be a good read. Check it out, it kind feels like it's a throwback to when an individual programmer could sit in his room and make a new phenom game etc etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10937388

Replies

• Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I think eyeball games will be the games of the future. Images projected onto people eyeballs, will allow people to play and become fully immersed in the pixelated worlds. So much so they wont want to leave them, then humanity will cease to do and die...probably.
  • ivanushka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    God, I hope not. That would be the day I quit gaming.
  • amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But the Iphone apps are getting bigger and it does generate a fair bit of revenue, not every game is going to be Crysis or Arkham Asylum.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Mobile games are a great opportunity going forward, especially for smaller developers. However, it probably isn't correct to say they are the "wave of the future." The buzz over them right now is simply over the emerging market that they represent. In the past ten years or so, phones and other mobile devices have advanced to the point that they are viable for playing games.

But mobile gaming certainly isn't going to replace more conventional efforts. I have a laptop, but I still prefer to game on my desktop PC. It is just more powerful and has a better screen. I may play the occasional game on my iPod Touch, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop playing games on my XBox 360 or PS3. They are different experiences.

I do like the fact that mobile gaming is expanding the market for electronic games overall, and I do appreciate that it is lowering the expectations on the production values of games. Some people see those lowered expectations as a bad thing. I don't. Not every game needs to have the latest and greatest technology behind it. It pleases me that titles with more old-school sensibilities and resources are able to thrive in the mobile space.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Well console gaming is on the decline. Perhaps Mobile gaming will take it over, and that will become more of a norm. I know lots of women whom play them and prefer them, they dont see them in the geeky elitist way the consoles appear and are portrayed.
  • amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Richard - Yes I agree I'm very impressed how hand held consoles have come along over the last 20 years from having black and white gameboy's to things like the PSP and Nintendo DS it wouldn't be too inconceivable if within another 10 years we got a another leap in the quality of Iphone/ Mobile games.

When the article hit's upon a Golden Era I think that sentiment is true to some extent.

@Calabi - The one thing I like about mobile gaming is that I can play it on the fly with consoles I need to be indoors and sat down in a room somewhere. With mobile gaming I can decide to go out take my phone with me and I have decent games to play to kill time during the journey.

Instead of having to lug around a phone and a hand held console.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    define 'wave of the future'
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Define... 'define'

/troll
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    What about in browser and webgames?
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    How did this article manage to time-warp out of August 2008? Seriously? The iPhone is a goldrush? Nooooooooooo. You're shittin' me.
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    says 2010? has a typo been corrected?