Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Alex Tooth

Hi I'm new, starting a sketchbook here :)

Studies

armstudies.jpg

arms1.jpg

Memory

memoryarm.jpg

Pissing about with Painter11.

portrait2.jpg

portrait1.jpg

portrait3.jpg

portrait4.jpg

studiiiies.jpg

Some thumbs from imagination

collection.jpg

This is my first ever commission, woo, hopefully I'l get some more soon. Not really my cup of tea but I guess commissions aren't and that's what makes them interesting and a challenge.

atoothOgreWEB.jpg

Replies

• Sayanora
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    These are awesome Alex! Great first sketchbook post.

Would you mind sharing your workflow for those landscapes you've done? I'm never sure what the most effective approach is for that stuff. (i.e. do i establish atmospheric perspective with soft brushes and then slowly use harder brushes until it's refined or vice versa. I've tried both and everything in between it seems and haven't settled on something I'm comfortable with)
  • A.Kincade
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    All these are awesome. Really like the range of values you use to do the arms. Good stuff.
  • wake
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Some cool stuff AlexTooth. For now all I would say is that on that last image the ogre could use a more dynamic pose, and there are some wonky things going on with the figure diminishing in space, particularly around his face.

But nice work on the portraits, esp. the first redhead.
  • GoodAsNew
    Looking great, You got some great flow going on in your paintings and fluid lines in those anatomical studies. :thumbup:
    ..Would you mind sharing your workflow for those landscapes you've done?...
    I'm not Alex but here's what I usually do.

It's a bit hard to see the composition if you start with soft brushes. I would start with hard brushes and for blending i would change opacity pretty often.

What i usually think first is the valua range for ground plane, vertical plane(like trees, buildings, mountains,..) and sky. All of them are signifacantly differently lit.

Then mess with value and colour.

-Worry about the values more than color.

-Avoid eye dropper untill later rendering.

-Pick new colours to get more variation.
  • AlexTooth
    Thanks guys :)

Lets see...

Sayonara -

Not sure if my workflow is necessarily any good :) I start with a line sketch always - work out the shape masses, get a nice feeling, balanced composition. Like you would imagine the old Japanese Woodcut masters would do.

Painting is generally large masses of colour to begin with, I usually establish a sky colour and a sun position, as obviously these will be lighting the scene. Then block in big masses again background -> foreground. Once the canvas is full of paint I adjust HSV on the piece until it's a good unified, believable colour scheme, maybe hit a colour balance too - usually drop the saturation a lot here. Then just go into detailing, more shadows and highlights thinking about the light source and ambient colours.

I mean, those are real rough, like 15min each maybe - but I find it a good way to start.

Previously me and my friends did timed 20min landscape paints, done like 50 now and they helped a lot.

GL!

A Kinkade - Thanks!

Wake - Hi Wake, thanks for the crit! Yeah that pose sucks, I'm slightly ashamed it was a commission and I didn't use references - and it shows, I think I will go back to it and look at the pose and several ppl have mentioned it and well yeah I can see it's bad^^

GoodAsNew - Thanks a lot :)

Update poopy doops!

d4.jpg

d3.jpg

d2.jpg

d1.jpg

brush_scraps_by_AlexTooth.jpg

Figure_scraps_by_AlexTooth.jpg

Dejeuner_sketch_by_AlexTooth.jpg

Dejeuner_by_AlexTooth.jpg

Just a bit of fun!

sketchdoodle.jpg

Next commission - sketch idea, nice dude no NDA

faesketch.jpg
  • bounchfx
    dude, awesome stuff! I really like the 'traditional' piece. great colors!