Home General Discussion

Fine art schools?

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
I know there's been a lot of discussion on Polycount about game art degrees and programs from places like the Art Institutes focused on 3D stuff in some form or another. A quick search reveals a ton of threads about that very subject and they're all full of good advice. However, that's not what I'm asking about: I'm considering going to school for fine art (painting, sculpture, etc.).

Can you guys suggest good fine art schools? If you've attended a fine art program through some school or another, what did you think of it? What schools have you heard good things about, even if you haven't attended?

I've heard a lot of good things about the Academy of Art in San Francisco and looking through work from their recent student shows makes the place look like they have good teachers or courses, at least judging by the quality of the work. Have you guys heard anything about their fine art programs? Have you attended them? If you did, what did you think?

Replies

• conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    i've heard that is good place to study fine art, Swizz.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I wish I could take any of the visual art classes when I was in highschool. Pity.

Now I learn off the youtube and some what tutorials off the net because there isnt any visual art class that would teach the basics of things near my place. :(
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I got a BFA from a local university. It is worth taking IMO as it will simply help you grow as an artist even more. I would highly recommend taking as much art history as you can, especially any architectural history if you plan/wanna be in enviros. I took two architectural history courses because the instructor was beyond amazing, and I loved learning about all that stuff.
    Getting a BFA requires a lot of studio work. A LOT! So if you gotta make a living to pay the bills, it may be difficult, but not impossible. I worked full-time at a pharmacy through my entire college attendance, so it can be done, but take my word for it; tough!

I would avoid the Academy of Art, or anything that begins with Institue or Academy as they are typically for profit.

You would be better off trying to get into a local university and getting a BFA (which would be easy if you already had a college degree or college credits) or going for a place like SCAD or RISD
    Those programs are very, very good and I think there are a few polycounters here that have attended SCAD.
  • Fireflights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fireflights polycounter lvl 8
    Feel free to PM me if you've got any questions about school...I took a bunch of foundation art courses, illustration courses, a few sequential art courses and a few game design courses. I know a little bit about a handful of other majors. If you're interested in learning about another major, I can probably find a friend or two to fill you in.

If getting a degree is absolutely essential, go for a college or university. However, if you're interested in improving yourself much faster, and getting educated on a smaller budget, and not having to take lots of general education classes....I'd highly suggest you consider going to an atelier. I know a couple of people who have gone to Watts Atelier in CA...I also know a few of my professors that have taken classes at the Florence Academy of Art, which has an amazing reputation. There are lots of ateliers and art academies/schools out there.

Of course, attending an atelier will mean no financial aid...but if you can handle that, you should look into it!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    If you can survive it financially, do it, simply for the experience. I think a lot of people view these things too practically and lose sight of the fact that you'll be in environment surrounded by the Arts, which in turn encourages you. Not to mention school offers opportunities that you don't have just going at it yourself. And of course, you'll probably make friends there, friends you'll cherish. As long as you don't view them as competition but rather peers, who may even be able to help you in the future.

Plus it's also college and is a time for you to be carefree for a bit.(i.e. You're a pussy if you don't get alcohol poisoning at least once!) I'm just kidding, but it certainly teaches you what your limit is, haha. Seriously it also helps you appreciate fine beers, wines and liquors. If that's your thing at least.

Alright, hippy brah crap aside, I had wrote a wall of text, so I decided to turn it into a list instead.

- Nothing is beneath you, and you will most likely be retaught the fundamentals your first year.
    - Ask your professors for help if you need it, they will most likely help, and may even be happy to do so.
    - If one of your peers need help, and you know what's up, help them.
    - Don't let your faculty or peers pressure you into something you don't want to do.
    - Experiment with skills, now is the time to do it.
    - Keep and open mind, and don't be the class dick because you have an idea of what "art" is.
    - Take a class or two in something you have no knowledge of.
    - Watch at least the first half of "Art School Confidential", it gives you an idea of what you're in for.
    - If you really want it, you'll get better, if not because the faculty or programs at your school, but because you are buying 4 years to focus on your art.
    - Fucking socialize! Work and study is important, but don't forget to get out there and have some down time with friends.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Just wanted to interject a little more....

It will take a semester or two for you to work this out, but find instructors/professors that are truly passionate about what they are teaching. This is very essential for your success. You could be in the most highest level of a drawing course, but the instructor could be absolutely shitty and riding on his tenure. If you find a class that is cool and the instructor is just awesome, find and take as many classes with them as you can fit into your schedule.

Also, classes that have students teaching (one's that are getting their Masters in Fine Arts usually) are exceptional IMO. You are with an instructor who is not yet jaded, around the same age as you, and is truly passionate about your success and helping you grow as an artist. They may be a bit flimsy on instruction in general, but remember they are learning to and when needed, they will correct you.

Finally, I think this is one thing I benefited from most out of getting my fine art degree; CRITIQUE! A few instructors were, well for a better analogy, like GA or CGS, but most of them were like PC! They forced you to critique other artists in the class and they never held back on their critique of your work. They would tear that shit apart, and I absolutely loved it. Probably one reason why I like PC so much :)

All of these traits separate an accredited university from an institute or an academy. Becoming an instructor or professor at a university undergoes a lot more scrutiny than getting a gig teaching some kids at an institute.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im a recent game art grad, school was easily the worst decision i made. 50k in debt and still nothing to show for it. I learned more outside of school then in it
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the info guys.

DKK, I'm free this weekend. Call me. /makes finger phone

Firebert, I've been looking at SCAD a bit and it seems good, but do you know anything about their drawing, painting and sculpting classes? I'm interested in really developing my line, shading, anatomy and other basic skills, so I want fundamentals. From what I saw on their website, they seem to be much more focused on making work that's commercially viable rather than something that encourages knowledge of classical technique. What you mention about focused critique is something I'm very interested in.

Fireflights, I don't know that I have the kind of cash it would take to get lessons from an atelier, but I'm not ruling it out for future reference. I don't come from a lot of money, so I'll be trying to get financial aid, scholarships and the like. Also, same question I asked Firebert.

Neo_God, one of the main reasons I'm interested in going to some school is to get away from family and comfortably familiar things for a bit, so I understand where you're coming from. That said, I'm not 18 and straight out of high school, so I'm probably not going to get alcohol poisoning and party every weekend.

nick2730, that's why I'm not interested in doing a game art program. I keep hearing that and I've realized that right now I'm more or less at the level of most game art grads I've seen, so I want to go back to traditional media where I think I'll really be challenged.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I graduated from the Academy in 02. My degree is in Computer Arts, but I ended up ditching the computer classes for illustration and industrial design courses. I had an absolute blast when I was there, and really wish I could find the time to take more classes since I'm working in SF again.

Just to reiterate what Neo God said, the chance to learn with like-minded students from all over the world in an art rich city like San Francisco is something you'll remember for a long time. If you can afford it, and are willing to work your ass off, go for it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I was really impressed with the quality of my community college's art programs, there's a museum on campus + a student gallery, they have weekly talks about a piece around campus, and monthly talks with 2 local artists. In sculpture 2, I had an opportunity to apply for a public art project, 6 or so students get funded ~$300 bucks to make a sculpture for a local park. All of my teachers really knew they they were talking about (a lot of them and a cool lab assistant had gallery openings and shows) and the lab hours were really nice and flexible.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I graduated from the Academy in 02. My degree is in Computer Arts, but I ended up ditching the computer classes for illustration and industrial design courses. I had an absolute blast when I was there, and really wish I could find the time to take more classes since I'm working in SF again.

Just to reiterate what Neo God said, the chance to learn with like-minded students from all over the world in an art rich city like San Francisco is something you'll remember for a long time. If you can afford it, and are willing to work your ass off, go for it.

So would you say it was worth the money? Looking at information about them online, it seems they accept any and all applicants who have the cash to shell out, so I'm kind of iffy on them since apparently they accept anybody without portfolio review.

What was your opinion of the faculty and students in your time there? Did you live in their dorms, or did you have other living arrangements? What were their facilities like?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I had 2 friends from my high school go to scad, one had a decent portfolio thrown together, the other kid's was pretty rough but still got scholarships for it. I know their animation/cg/game art students have to take mostly core art classes their first year
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Swizzle wrote: »
    So would you say it was worth the money? Looking at information about them online, it seems they accept any and all applicants who have the cash to shell out, so I'm kind of iffy on them since apparently they accept anybody without portfolio review.

What was your opinion of the faculty and students in your time there? Did you live in their dorms, or did you have other living arrangements? What were their facilities like?

They do accept everyone, but from my experience, the ones that don't cut it in the first year don't end up coming back. The instructors are brutally honest with their critiques. I've seen students throw their drawing boards, storm out of class, swear at the teachers, etc. They are also very conservative with grading. You don't get A's for effort, those are reserved for the prodigy badasses. And if there isn't one in the class, they don't grade on a curve.

I liked all the fine art/illustration teachers I had. almost all of them are Academy graduates themselves, and had been teaching for a number of years. that wasn't the case with their computer courses. There was a lot of turnover in the computer faculty, and most were more focused on their industry job rather than their part time teaching gig.

The best thing the school offered was drawing workshops: 3 hour sessions with a model with a instructor supervising, but not teaching. If you had questions, they would help you out, but it was really about drawing as much as you can to get better. There are a bunch of these at different times throughout the week, so it's pretty easy to fit these in with your normal class schedule.

I never lived in their dorms. I grew up in the bay area, so I commuted into the city. Dorm pricing is likely expensive, but if you like living in SF, there are plenty of large apartments you could share with roommates and get a better deal.

Again, I graduated in '02, so a lot of this info may be out of date. Maybe they have gone down the shitter. I haven't kept in touch with the school as much as I should have. And it's probably twice as expensive as it was back then. I would recommend taking one of their tours and maybe spending a week or so in SF to see if you like it. If you are really averse to urban living, you may want to avoid the Academy. SF can be gorgeous one block and hideous the next.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's really useful info, FunkaDelicDass. I'm already familiar with the Bay Area and I know I like the atmosphere and can handle the weather just fine.
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    i also went to scad, i loved my foundation classes, but I have to say after watching a few conceptart.org videos(caucasian female, asian male, female figure and anatomy with marshall vandruff) I cant help but feel TAD would've been a better choice as it feels Ive learnt a great deal more in those short sessions compared to my classes at scad. I didnt take anything other than the foundation stuff for traditional art though and majored in game design(both of which I fully regret now). good luck with your decision!
  • Fireflights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fireflights polycounter lvl 8