Home Technical Talk

Beaver dam?

ngon master
Online / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
How would you approach something like this? But with bigger logs and a bit more compact. I need a high poly version too, but I know the low poly will basically be a plane with a few logs in front of it.

VgER7.jpg

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    gameplattform and genre? how close will you be? super hard to tell as it could be plane with a tileable texture or something far more complex
  • pthomas1172
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pthomas1172 polycounter lvl 10
    Holy crap!...

OK.. after a stiff drink.. I would.

-if this is below 250 polys then make a flat plane with a beaver dam texture & a bunch of 3 sided cylinders sticking out everywhere.

- If you have 1000k or more polys than this MIGHT work..

1. Attack it just like a rubble pile. instead of bricks / re-bar / rubble / its all sticks.keep in mind you want to break the stick groups into as many small repeating groups as possible. think of it like a long rock wall where each big rock represents a grouping or clump of sticks.

2. this is the hard part, u need to make the stick grouping in a med to high poly pile mesh,(for normal maps, Ao maps, base diffuse texture) then.
    A. you can do this in z-brush and use "RE-Mesh ALL" to make a unified mesh cage with no interior faces. (yeah!)
    B. or, go into any 3d app and Boolean low poly sticks together, to later UV and texture(holy-crap..headache)

3. u should not attack this as one long dam. try to break it into 3-4 tiling groupings.
    4. You are right the sticks will have to be larger / thicker
    5. I would do it all the groupings in z-brush then bake it out in a 3d app. then manipulate the low poly groups into a larger segment, then you would need say 3-4 segments to build the damn.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    If you have a few polys to spend then you could try modeling out a bunch of the sticks and placing them over a plane, then deform it by a curve or bend it onto shape.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    pthomas: why the hell would you bool that stuff together? just let it intersect o_O
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some alphas over a basic mesh and a shitton of wee low poly sticks.

I don't know that I'd bother with a high poly for it. It looks like it'd be more fuss than it's worth. Some crazybump and a bit of tweaking in Photoshop would get you where you need I think.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I agree, why is a high poly needed?

Geometry is the way to go for this really.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    Uhm... Nice.
    I agree with Ark. For the high poly, you could try somethinlg like this:

- Make a plane wich is the water. Give it the shape and the texture you want.

- Pull down the water edge(s) in order to create the surface which will be covered by logs, and texture it like a low-poly. In other words, simply put a flat and seamless texture on it, with some sticks drawn on. Make it dark, almost black. Don't worry too much for the quality, this is only to give a better depth when watching inside holes between a stick and the other.

- Now, model a bunch of different logs, then create a group of them. Here you can do like Pthomas suggested: work with groups of logs, this will save a lot of work. Make sure you cover all the surface, leaving just some small holes between a log and the other. Also, cover well the border between the water surface and the hidden surface. You can intersect logs with water, obviously.

In my opinion this will do. ;)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There may be a pre-rendered breaking of the damn, so they wanted to be able do some crazy simulation stuff with it, I'll probably just use 3 main sizes of logs, and suggest that they use particles for the tiny stuff, and just texture that in.
  • cholden
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I think you'd have pretty good results if you were to create a base mesh with the sticks tiling over, and then some geo sticking out to break it up.
  • pthomas1172
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pthomas1172 polycounter lvl 10
    yeah, I just woke up. brain wasnt on.