Home Technical Talk

Is there a script to explode models for baking?

Junkie_XL
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
I seem to recall somebody here on PC made a script that could do this? The high-poly and the low poly shells would auto separate in all sorts of different directions somehow?

Replies

• Firebert
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Junkie do you use Max or you using maya?
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    My web hosting has temporarily died in the ass.
    I've got a quick script I made with a GUI that does exactly what you want a while ago. Is there somewhere that I can host small files for now, so I can upload it? Might as well.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Dropbox. Copy the file into your Public folder, then copy / paste the link here. You get 2GB of storage free, and there's extra free space available with referral incentives.

http://www.dropbox.com/
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Or just use megaupload really.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I would be realy interested to see this script myself... since i havnt seen this kinda script before:)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I just make a keyframe at one and move the objects. Export that.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan: that's neat! didn't know dropbox could do that, and already have dropbox going so that was almost... too easy o_O

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2298918/explosivo_02.mzp

Here ye go everyone... guess I should probably post this in that other thread too, for archive purposes (not that this link will be permanent, but it'll do for now).

Don't really expect much if you go looking in the maxscript "code". It's really messily slapped together and I didn't even go back and make things functions that should be... I really didn't care or expect to be releasing it when I made it... I just made it because of my bike model with 300+ pieces that I didn't want to keyframe by hand or whatever.

Usage:
    Name your low poly objects with the prefix LOW_
    Name your high poly objects with the prefix HIGH_

The rest of the name following the prefixes needs to be identical. Currently this script works off of names alone, I didn't get to making anything kind of automated like I would if I were to take the time when making it again. I may look at revising this if there's enough demand for it. In general however, I think using the naming convention kind of forces people into good habits in being able to manage their scenes better... not that I would be enforcing that onto anyone ;)

Best of luck, and happy baking!
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sef: Using max.

Thanks for posting that Electro. My workflow is pretty loose when it comes to naming objects...I just don't bother much with doing that. That being said, naming stuff would probably take almost as much time as just pulling the objects apart by hand.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah well, wait for the version that attempts to do it automagically then ;)
    Which I can imagine won't work 100% in ALL cases, can already think of some where it'd fail, which is why it'd be on an option.

Not sure how else you were hoping it'd "just work"? Was there something you had in mind?
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    junkie: Just baked based on material IDs no exploding involved. Saves you a ton of time
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro wrote: »
    Not sure how else you were hoping it'd "just work"? Was there something you had in mind?

Was kinda hoping for something like how Zbrush 4 does it with that little Xpose button. Although yeah I'm not sure if the high and the low could stay together there.

sef, what you are saying is alien to me but sounds intriguing. I pretty much learn by seeing in action...nekkid pics?

I guess now I'm just looking for something that explodes...

edit: yikes this is a month old...time sure flies lately...