Offline / Send Message
god3ila polycounter lvl 10
Merman On Earth

Hi everyone!
This is the last sculpt I’ve worked on :

Merman_on_Earth_by_god3ila.jpg

You can check out the turntable video, on my vimeo page, here :
http://vimeo.com/11378370

Like I’ve said on the “What Are You Working On?” thread : this sculpts, was about “What it would be, if another species had dominated earth?”
I’ve started to search references on fish. The Darwin theory said that we all came from water, that’s why I thought about fish evolution, instead of monkeys. I would like to make it like; their evolution was the same as ours. So I've choose to make a kind of “Joe Sixpack” (I don’t know if the translation is correct. In France we say “Beauf” / “Bof”).

---

Concept:
HommePoisson_Posing.jpg
---

ZBrush:

After, came the classical workflow. Trying to find the good proportions, with ZSpheres, and then, start to sculpt the main shapes.
HommePoisson_Silhouette.jpg

I didn’t want to go further in the details on the body, because I knew that, this guy was going to wear clothes.
WIP_Sculpt.jpg

---

Retopology:

WIP_Retopo.jpg

---

Clothes:

I’ve used different techniques to add clothes and elements. Masks, topology tool, and some of them were made on 3DS, and imported on Zbrush.

WIP_Pants.jpg
WIP_Sculpt3.jpg

---
Posing:

That’s the big mistake I’ve made. I thought, the posing would be easy, but I should have pose my character in the right position, earlier, or since the beginning with the ZSpheres. Cause, once you’re pretty far on the sculpt, even with transpose master, it become very difficult to move it, the right way.
I had to reshape à lot of things… And I didn’t succeed to get the right position, like the concept.
WIP_Posing.jpg

---
Polypainting:

The funny part! :D

WIP_PolypaintBiere.jpg
WIP_CigaretteBracelet.jpg
WIP_Polypaint4.jpg
WIP_Polypaint3.jpg

---
Compositing:

Then, I’ve grab several passes/materials, and made a compositing on Photoshop for the final image. I've also grabbed alphas for every objects, to apply specific materials and texture to everyone of them.
PlancheCompositing.jpg

Compositing.jpg

After that, I've past it into a new file with a background, and I've used the depth texture on a mask of a blured layer of the character. Added some texture and filters to obtain the final render.

That's it! I really hope you like it, and any comments are welcome!

Sorry for my English... I know, it sucks. ^_^

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Looks pretty damn good, upon first look was thinking that some liver spots, boils and other dermal details would make it look more like Its human counterparts.

I suppose there's no need for gills since it dwells on land?
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice stuff, its a cool way to render it without using real renderpasses.
    You should render it in maya or max with proper passes like SSS, it would look great with a bit more depth from from it.
  • god3ila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

@pliang : You're right, that's the kind of details that I should have thought. In fact, he still have gills on is neck. I've thought of this civilisation as amphibians people. Even if, they're on land, they still have the ability of moving under water.

@Spitfire : I'll try to render it, on max /mentalray or brazil. But I must decimate it, first (cause I don't think my computer will be able to display 32 millions polys, loool :)), and generate some UVs.
    I thought of render it, but I don't like to wait hours and hours... ^o^
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    The model is great, and the textures compliment it very well!

My biggest concern is that you would get SO MUCH MORE from this character with a stronger pose. His back looks stiff, which pulls from the "hard-working-fish-guy-having-a-brew-during-break-time" style that you have going. Also, his feet look to be positioned way too similar to one another. Try turning a foot at the ankle a bit, or pulling a leg out to rest a foot. Any little details like this will help your character "pop" :)

Cheers!
  • god3ila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I’m totaly agree with you. Like I’ve said, this is the part which I totally screwed up. I really should have posed my character with ZSpheres before sculpting. The result is a straight and unnatural pose. :poly116:
    For the feet and legs, these are the only parts been left as symmetrical, and I've totally forget to move them after the polypaint...

This is something I wish, I could fix in the future, maybe for an alternate render on a 3D App, like Spitfire suggested to me.

Anyway, thank you for your comment. ^^
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I think the webbing on the hands and feet are waaay too thick. Otherwise good sculpt.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    You can pose your characters IN Zbrush with the "Transpose".

This video explains what I mean : [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKYY47o-pzk[/ame]

I wouldn't recommend using this method EVERYTIME, but small pose adjustments can be done easily this way (with minimal re-sculpting). You only need to tweak your pose to get it looking excellent, so give it a try ;)

Hope this helps, mate :)
  • god3ila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shad0wForce : maybe not too thick, but I think those parts deserve a bit of translucency and rendered SSS, to simulate something thin.

@Polygoblin : Thanks for the video, that's what I've used to pose my character, I like the transpose tool. :)
    But like you said, transpose is good for small pose adjustments, and I went from a standing pose, to a slouching, sitting pose, with a way too detailed model. That was the problem, and that's why, I should have done the posing since the begining of the sculpting.

Thank you guys!
  • god3ila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, I’m coming back on this thread, cause there’s something I didn’t mentioned. This piece, right here was made for a contest that I recently won. And the price was a 3DPrint of my mesh. I’ve received it, a few times ago, but I didn’t take the time to show you the result.

So I’m glad to introduce you, my first 3D Print! :)

Front.jpg

Side1.jpg

Side2.jpg

SideDetails.jpg

BackDetails.jpg

Tete2.jpg
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    What's the size? It looks great.
  • god3ila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's about 20cm height. I didn't expect on so much details on this, I was pretty impress, when I received it. ^o^
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    That 3D printout is awesome. Turned out really well. :)
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, that's looking really awesome!! :D
    Congrats on the contest win!! :)
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I love that print,gj on the sculpt and congratz!
  • god3ila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shad0wForce, Mezz, wizo : Thank you ! :)