Home General Discussion

Would some games be better with less violence?

ngon master
Online / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
I was reading
http://kotaku.com/5600550/lay-down-your-guns

It basically mentions of bunch of big games that just seem to add violence as filler. Here's a quick summary.

Mirrors Edge running and fighting didn't flow very well

GTA you can explore and play around in the levels for hours without firing a gun, but the second you start missions its all about killing, but I guess its a mob game, but you can add more variety than that.

Fallout 3 seemed like obvilivion with even more fighting, less exploring.

so the question is, would a lot of games be better if they didn't add violence as filler.

Replies

• Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    I agree, when its used just for filler instead of adding to already solid gameplay, its useless.

On the opposite end though I am a huge fan of some gore in my games, especially fps games.
    Games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Modern Warfare 2 could do with some limb removal, bullet wounds and fractured/partially destroyed heads when you get a good headshot. It just adds that extra "omph" to see your latest frag fall over in pieces scattering blood decals all over the landscape.

Yes I loved Soldier of Fortune 2 for all the right reasons.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The gore in sc2 is awesome to, units die in different ways from different attacks, melt from acid, explode from tanks, etc etc.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    mirror's edge could have had the sweetest action shooting sequences ever.

Sadly, it would have required a mouse, and then all their console money goes up in smoke.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, and that's not at the sacrifice of anything. It's just devs taking more time to make things more interesting to look at, imo :P
    Man, just thinking about a Battlefield game where an explosion sends team mates flying in bits makes me giddy. Maybe I need help :P
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    In almost all the games you kill enemies, with more o less violence... and gore is more and more excesive nowadays, and it's because it sells. People want to see things more real and with "wow" effect. Look Crysis 2, Action and Violence, or left 4 dead with blood everywhere.

If you remove the gore of some titles like Gears, it won't be Gears :P.

Less violence won't make games better imho, but less interesting.

They want us to play tetris? lemmings?

Want to try kumatan?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wX1lE41L6E[/ame]
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i imagine mirror's edge might have been a bit of a hard sell to the publishing side at EA without the player being able to run and gun. personally i think this one could have been more fun with less gunplay and more fluid hand-to-hand combat indeed.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    If it adds to the illusion of making the virtual world look more real it should be there IMO. I live in germany and we have to suffer from all the cuts they make in games for the german versions. It really sucks when zombies simply fall down without any gore and disapear with a simple fade to transparent effect. That can really breack the atmosphere! Atleast we dont have such alteration yet in movies. Some quite very gory scenes get also cut in movies here and sometimes when a actor dies you dont get it fully because that scene where he dies is completely cut out. But there are no dead bodies disapearing in a fade to transparent in movies yet! ;)

@ Blaizer
    I want to play kumatan with lots of crazy cartoon gore! :)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I was reading
    http://kotaku.com/5600550/lay-down-your-guns

It basically mentions of bunch of big games that just seem to add violence as filler. Here's a quick summary.

Mirrors Edge running and fighting didn't flow very well

GTA you can explore and play around in the levels for hours without firing a gun, but the second you start missions its all about killing, but I guess its a mob game, but you can add more variety than that.

Fallout 3 seemed like obvilivion with even more fighting, less exploring.

so the question is, would a lot of games be better if they didn't add violence as filler.

I don't know about Fallout 3, but in both GTA and Mirror's Edge, the violence made sense in terms of the plot and the only reason it didn't flow well was because of the execution.

In mirrors edge it was really easy to screw up your attacks, with a controller or a mouse, and it made the combat not fun. 9 times out of 10 i would miss the timming on a disarm or crouch/jumb kick 5 feet early and have to reload around the corner. I know that's mostly cuz I suck, but not entirely. It depended entirely too much on the momentum you had built up to that point, but when it worked it was awesome. I'm not saying it would have been nice to actually get to play in the world and go more than 5 minutes without a chopper trying perforate you, but running straight towards a guy while he shoots at you, vaulting a stairway, and breaking his face with your foot?
    Yes-Fucking-Please!

GTA, now this is just my oppinion, but all the gameplay in gta is mediocre. It's the combination of the different elements, along with nice graphics, a great story, and decent music (depending on your taste) that make it great.

More gore in Bad Company 2 MW2 might mean a slightly higher rating and one or 2 less sales though, but I'd like to know how well Gore-less Left 4 Dead 2 has been selling in AU, cause that kind of answers the question right there doesn't it?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Blaizer wrote: »
    Less violence won't make games better imho, but less interesting.

I probably titled this thread poorly, I wasn't talking about making games less violent, but stop using fighting/shooting/violence as filler.

I'm fine with games being over the top gore and blood, but when I play a game were violence is only part of the formula, and its over used and not done well, it would of been better without it.
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    "would a lot of games be better if they didn't add violence as filler."
    I think the answer lies in the question as it's not added violence as a filler that's a problem but a game's need for fillers in the first place.
    Occasionally I'm fine with games that don't have violence. I'm fine with games that have moderate violence. And I'm just as fine with games that have me bathe in a sea of blood as long as everything fits together and the game is fun to play as it is, but if I get bored of the gameplay within 5 mins then even added violence would only extend these 5 mins to 7-10 till I get tired of it and never feel like playing it again.

But in reality gore is too much of a selling point to reduce it anyway, at least in most kind of games.

In the end you can't help having to admit that defeating your enemy is more rewarding than most of other things out there, I think that kinda lies in the nature of just about every being, and violence can indeed add to that experience ... so don't take it away :p
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Fuck no... Look at God Of War or example! ;D
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I probably titled this thread poorly, I wasn't talking about making games less violent, but stop using fighting/shooting/violence as filler.

I'm fine with games being over the top gore and blood, but when I play a game were violence is only part of the formula, and its over used and not done well, it would of been better without it.

All the shooters have violence and more violence :poly136:. We could say it's the main Formula/ingredient, the rest is a poor excuse. You start with a gun, you get more guns, and you are always killing persons (soldiers), zombies, aliens or something that moves. The more spectacular and credible the kills, the better.

To remove the violence fillers would kill a lot in a game with violence. There is always a story of hatred, death, rivalry. You remove the violence fillers in starcraft 2, and it would not be "epic". Is what excites us better,

god of war :D

An action game without violence fillers it's not an action game. It's the main ingredient.

Overlord as example, has its small % of violence, but all it's like comedy, not very credible. I think it's a good example without fillers, but without so much success as modern warfare 2. And look kumatanchi, an educative game for kids without great success (and very well made, very appealing)
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Hell yes would many games be better without violence. The default story for a game seems to be "man commits genocide". The moral of the story is that if you just kill enough people, you'll solve your problems. It's just a ridiculously shallow outlook on life.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a lot of games that have both violence and something else, where the violence is actually more fun. My funnest playthrough of Deus Ex was one where I set out not to harm anyone. Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines was great when you were talking to people, figuring out what to say and who to trust, but it broke down horribly when you had to kill tons of monsters in the sewers. STALKER was cool when you were navigating a path through radiation or anomalies, or when you were underground being troubled by ghostly stuff in bunkers, but it was never as fun to shoot guys. Total War games would be much more fun if you could let battles be auto-resolved, but the auto-resolve always loses for you. The Witcher had some cool quest lines about solving a murders or delving into plots, but don't get me started on ghost dogs or drowned dead. Max Payne 2's dream sequences are the best game levels ever, combining prisons, apartments, TV shows, fun houses and psychiatric hospitals in a bix psychological mix, while its shooty sections were just good, but little more.

It's not even so much that the violence is shoddily done. The article mentions Mirror's Edge. Now, ME does lack some features like iron sights or an ammo counter, but it compensates by still utilising movement and momentum, and by having to take cover; its shooty parts aren't, IMO, actually inferior to, say, Half-Life, the jumpy parts are just that much better.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Am i the only guy who played mirrors edge with the 'no guns' achievement and enjoyed it immensely?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie, are you taling about the inclusion, or the poor exectution? I've only just started the Witcher but Total War without any violence? so then it's what, total spreadsheet? I have to disagree about Max Payne, those levels were outstanding and I enjoyed the gunplay. plus, y'know, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a55OZ3njts4&feature=related"]Kung-fu mod ftw[/ame]. And there's a difference though between having the option not to use violence, and having none at all. When a game is about being a supercop in a crazy future city I expect to be be able put the hurt on people. If I'm running for my life from gunships and crooked cops, I want to kick them in the face.

I've had to go back here and re-read the article because quite frankly I think the examples he's using are completely contradicting the point he's trying to make. All these games, including the ones here are not examples of games that would be better off of as pursuits into the human psyche or exploration of movement, just poor implimentation of mechanics.

Icedinferno put it better than I can though:
    I find myself simultaneously agreeing completely with the author, but then also questioning why this is an article about violence, and not about shoddy game design in general (which is actually what he is writing about, whether or not he realizes it).

Seriously, look back on his points:

-He says violence is great "if it's done right". Which is true.
    -He mentions that violence without a point or without being a fun part of the core mechanic should be left out. Yes, cutting the extraneous BS out of a game is a smart move, whether or not you're talking about violence.
    -He points out games needing to know what they do great, citing how much worse Canabalt would be if you had to 'stop and shoot'. I submit that what he's actually talking about is how awful it would be to 'break the flow'. Canabalt would be a lot worse if you had to stop and pick up flowers, too, and that has nothing to do with violence. It's about breaking the flow, which is bad game design. To support my point with his own:
    -He mentions how much more acceptable the violence in Mirror's Edge would be if you could take out cops mid-run. Another game about flow, where violence breaks the flow. The problem isn't violence, it's the interruption of the flow.
    -He mentions the problem with Fallout 3 involving the VATS system feeling out of place. That's because you can play Fallout 3 like a standard FPS. I submit that the same system would plague Fallout 1 and 2 as well, were they not entirely turn-based. Again, we're talking about breaking the flow. Naughty game design, or (dare I say) a poor mix of frictions. Eh, Tim? Eh?

I don't see violence, or even a lot of violence, being the thing the author is arguing against. It's more about cruddy design as a result of shoeing the violence in, played as a safety for the sake of sales (as the author says, "don't just include it in the design out of habit"). For example, look at Doom, Painkiller, God Hand, Smash TV... the list goes on. These are great, fun games, where there is very little story at all. It's all about the combat or the violence, but the flow isn't interrupted. By contrast, if mid-level in every level of Doom you had to stop and read a morsel of storytelling, watch some scripted sprite character interactions, and interact with various 'friendlies' to figure out what to do next, I'd bet a year's development budget Doom wouldn't have been the groundbreaking, amazing game it was. Still good, maybe; just not monumentally so.

Violence isn't the problem. The design is.

SupRore wrote: »
    Am i the only guy who played mirrors edge with the 'no guns' achievement and enjoyed it immensely?

I tried really hard. and failed even harder.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    The problem isn't adding violence as filler. The problem is adding shitty combat mechanics that no one cares about or wants to do. It's just as bad as adding poor driving mechanics to a game that didn't need driving sections to begin with.

I could only imagine how good Crackdown would be if it's combat wasn't so lame and lackluster.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    the world would be better without violence :P
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    its funny here people tolerate violence more than sex :D
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I can't believe we're even having this discussion. If anything there should always be MORE violence!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Violence is an intrinsic part of most genres in. I would like to see more games that take a non violent route or at least allow for one, but for what we've already got I think shooting the baddies is kinda necessary. What I don't particularly like is excessive gratuity. I mean there are certain points and indeed certain genres that benefit from a bit of gore - your zombie game for example, or a military game that's pushing for harrowing rather than fun, but it seems to be becoming more an more prevalent in games to just add needlessly gratuitous, cruel and realistic depictions of violence which frequently results in me either enjoying them considerably less or avoiding them all together.

As for Mirror's Edge, it should have been pitched as a racing game. It's very much at its best when you're playing the time trials and the shooty human element has been removed.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

Actually, I believe guns were really added on later, but the game does feel like it was designed to be played without them.
    mirrors edge, best without guns :)

As with the rest of the thread, imagine god of war without violence, or gears of war without curbstomps and chainsawing :O
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    Actually, I believe guns were really added on later, but the game does feel like it was designed to be played without them.
    mirrors edge, best without guns :)

As with the rest of the thread, imagine god of war without violence, or gears of war without curbstomps and chainsawing :O

I'm pretty sure no one is talking about no violence at all, violence is awesome. Just talking about games like mirrors edge, crackdown and so on where the best part about the game is not the shooting and killing, yet you're forced to do so much shooting and killing.

Don't tease with me no chainsawing in gears of war. To this day I haven't gotten through a single game without being chainsawed and then rage quitting to the dashboard.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    xk0be gets what I'm walking about. In fallout 3 does shooting someones head off in slow mo make the game better? not really it just slows down the flow, of course its fun to do every once in a while, but VATS hurts the game overall.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    xk0be wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure no one is talking about no violence at all, violence is awesome. Just talking about games like mirrors edge, crackdown and so on where the best part about the game is not the shooting and killing, yet you're forced to do so much shooting and killing.

Don't tease with me no chainsawing in gears of war. To this day I haven't gotten through a single game without being chainsawed and then rage quitting to the dashboard.

Actually, mirrors edge encourages you to not gun people down, since you'll have a much better and fluid experience if you run, hit and disarm people, and throw the gun away.

And I think that part of the violence was important to mirrors edge, it made you feel like there was actually a threat, and that you knew martial arts, it was essential like headstomping an enemy in mario.
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    If anyone's interested, here's a good read on non-combat gameplay. It's mainly focused on RPGs, but it can be applied to other games as well.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,231.0.html
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xk0be gets what I'm walking about. In fallout 3 does shooting someones head off in slow mo make the game better? not really it just slows down the flow, of course its fun to do every once in a while, but VATS hurts the game overall.

Yeah but fallout3 really isnt a particularly good game, overall. The shooting sucks, VATs sucks, the weapons are unbalanced and unfun, and the combat is one-dimensional, repetitive, and what little gameplay flow actually exists is broken by a lot of the enemy types. It's less about 'too violent' and more about 'too bethesda'

You guys just like it because you're starved for a game you can actually explore/investigate.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah but fallout3 really isnt a particularly good game, overall. The shooting sucks, VATs sucks, the weapons are unbalanced and unfun, and the combat is one-dimensional, repetitive, and what little gameplay flow actually exists is broken by a lot of the enemy types. It's less about 'too violent' and more about 'too bethesda'

You guys just like it because you're starved for a game you can actually explore/investigate.

I was going to go all fuuuu.. but then I realized, I think you might be right, oblivion and fallout3 are okay games, but not perfect, but we enjoy them so much because they're pretty much alone in the genr
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    SupRore wrote:
    I tried, but the final guy in the Shard always killed me before I could even get near. Ever since, I just picked up the guns to get combat over with as quickly as possible.
    Zwebbie, are you taling about the inclusion, or the poor exectution? I've only just started the Witcher but Total War without any violence? so then it's what, total spreadsheet? I have to disagree about Max Payne, those levels were outstanding and I enjoyed the gunplay.
    Total War might become Total Diplomatic Relations or something if it didn't always turn its states into fascist dictatorships with full control and a mission of war. As for Max Payne, I enjoyed the two games in their entirety, but at the end of the day I'd pay for a game that's completely like it's dream levels, I couldn't care less about more of the shootiness.
    And there's a difference though between having the option not to use violence, and having none at all. When a game is about being a supercop in a crazy future city I expect to be be able put the hurt on people. If I'm running for my life from gunships and crooked cops, I want to kick them in the face.
    Just because apple sauce without apples wouldn't be much of a dish, doesn't mean you should throw apples into everything. Maybe we could do with less apple sauce.
    What I'm trying to say is, why are stories always about supercops or supersoldiers? Why aren't there any games out there about other people, who do other things than committing genocide, and maybe even solve more difficult problems and have better solutions than violence? Books can, movies can, songs can, paintings can. Is "superguy has enemies, kills them all" the story you want to, nay have to share with the rest the world?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure there's plenty of games out there that aren't about Superheroes or Supersoldiers, they just aren't typically the highest sellers so they aren't typically the most pushed by publishers ad budgets. but then even thats not really true because Wii fit/sports and sims are ususally pretty high up there. The rest of em are just harder to find is all. But until they become what the mass market wants, I just don't see that changing.

I still say it's about the implementaion. The first Oddworld games were all about running away from your enemies, but they were still horifically violent every 2 seconds when your being ground into chunks, or shot into chunks, or being horribly eaten or falling off a cliff. and they were 90% trial and error, but it was done well and it was fun.

now I'm going to go eat some sauce with extra apples.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i agree that there are too many games (most of the ones that i have worked on too) that rely on violence as the easy tried and tested gameplay format... it would be nice to see more that trend bucked...or more importantly more that bucked the trend BACKED BY PUBLISHERS.... alot of the exploration and fun that i enojoy(ed) in games has been lost under waves of baddies needing to be killed and often i feel it actually somewhat hurts the experience rather than adding to it... not that it doesnt have its place as everyone has stated alot of great games would be nothing without it....BUT alot of games do include unnecessary violence for no real benefit.... and i think that this default position gives games a bad rep... no wander alot of people dismiss them as simple violent fantasy when this is their "T pose" yet they are/can be so much more...

hey but its always easy for an artist to make judgements about 'Lazy" design
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    This is a pretty subjective question.

Games, from a design standpoint, would only be better without "violence" if they're well designed that way.

A shittily-made game is going to be shit to play with or without violence.

Games, from a taste standpoint, will only be better without "violence" if the player isn't in the mood for violence when he boots Steam up.

A violent game is going to be shit to play if you're in the mood for Scrabble, or whatever non-violent games you kids are playing nowadays.

Most games that have been mentioned in this thread might have been better without so much violence. They most definitely would have been better if the violence was done better.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    I was going to go all fuuuu.. but then I realized, I think you might be right, oblivion and fallout3 are okay games, but not perfect, but we enjoy them so much because they're pretty much alone in the genr