Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Hoopla! -

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Hoopla! polygon
Pimping please?

be brutal, i am not shy.

looking for generous amounts of feedback on content.

thank you in advance, citizens.

all stuff i had a great time making.

some other things to come.

/stop

Replies

• KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    More finished work; less "works-in-progress".
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More of anything would be nice.

Site is very under-whelming. Makes me want to leave, there's nothing to see.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    yeah this is an ongoing problem for me.

love to start projects and hate to finish them.

n88tr, are you looking for more complexity or more projects in general? i have been told less is more when it comes to showing, i know what i have is limited but im always working on things i can add or replace what have you.

if i had to say i would think i need obviously more complete assets. once i do that, get things into udk and make all all the shaders work right.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I would suggest really nailing down what you like doing. Your portfolio is a little bit of everything right now, and none of it is jaw-dropping.

Spend like 100 hours on one super badass project and get rid of everything else on your site. Then do it again and keep those 2. Then again and keep those 3.

If you're showing us a head WIP at 20 minutes, you shouldn't be.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    None of the pictures load for me. The thumbnails do but when I click them it just loads forever. Why not use simple html to display things?
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    A table, a bowl of fruit and some sort of machine and other very mediocre wips. Sorry but I think any hiring game-developer *I suspect that's what you want* wants to see vehicles, characters, environments, weapons, tanks, just stuff that is cool!

everybody can model a table, banana's and some sort of machine. They wont go like, "hey, damn, we really need someone who can model us a fold-up table" and then some other guy is like, "I know just the right guy for the job" and calls you.

you need to stand up from the crowd! show stuff you modeled that is either really really really good (think dominance war good) or something that is unique.

show them your best work, EVER!

don't bother with the other stuff, just focus on your best work, and show that you can do it time after time! and a little more presentation never hurt a soul.

turntables, showing your model's textures, wireframes etc.

an employer wants to know if you can do whats asked and if your work flow isn't something they need to "fix" ideally you should fit right in their team and can do your job instantly.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Your work shows me you take this as a hobby, and not a profession. Your showing me a folding table as one of your main thumbnail link for your portfolio? A folding table.
    This needs to wow me, not bore me.
    A lot of your work is unfinished or half assed so that even the finished ones dont have good renders. Take a step back and do what Haiasi said. Needs more.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    k, sounds good. pretty much what im hearing is be better, not much i can do about being better but i can spend more time on a single project. im kinda all alone with this as i have no help other then this site and get mixed feedback from what to or not to do.

so far my projects have had no direction or purpose as evident, not sure how to wow people, i look at other peoples work and try to determine what i like or do not like about the piece, but im not sure if that helps either as its all opinion based.

could anyone with a good degree of skill tell me how they got there? was it school "not an option for me" or a mentor? or years of practice? im not sure my grinding away at random projects that pop into my head and slowly fade into the uninteresting is doing well for me.

how many of you fallow tutorials? i have seen some portfolios that are a collection of tutorials or school projects people have been walked thru, and i feel like thats an absurd thing to show as your own. i may be wrong, who knows?
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Practice, practice, practice! Honestly, you need to spend hours most days just chipping away at techniques and getting better. It's not an easy process, but it is so satisfying once you get there.

Follow tutorials (specifically for games art) and improve your modelling and texturing skills. Learn about normal mapping, ambient occlusion baking, sculpting, everything!

Set aside one night to just browse through the Polycount wiki and absorb as much info as you can, it'll all start to come together. Then re-read it! It's a great well of information.

Look at the 'what are you working on' thread and be inspired there, strive to be as good as, if not better than the other people posting there!

You definitely have potential, there are some good pieces on your portfolio. I would suggest looking around for concept art and finding things that inspire you, and do something from a piece of concept art.

Good luck!

Edit - I'd also suggest using a realtime shader such as Xoliul's to display your work, it'll add loads to the presentation. Or stick it in UDK!
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    Thanks PogoP! have been reading the wiki page for the last couple days and it is a wealth of knowledge. i had always had trouble when searching this forum and the wiki is exactly what i needed. thanks again bro. i also have that shader going now, thanks