Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

iPhone game wip

buddikaman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
Hey guy, here is a quick demonstration build of our iPhone game. Still has a ways to go but this is where we are at after 2-3 weeks. Enjoy!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaIYLGny3k8[/ame]

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really cool.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    wow! very impressive! looks great! what are the key pads on the screen/controls like for this game play? Also have yall looked into getting this onto the Android phones? Android base phones are going to grow really fast and are! as they have been spread out to all phone service providers. And as yall know iphone is stuck on at&t for the most part. Would be a shame to miss out on such a game like this if one does not have the iphone.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    hmm. I'm not sure that's fair to call this an iPhone game - a unity game sure! IPhone doesn't support the amount of keys you must be pressing here, also it doesn't support most of the effects you are using here, especially those realtime shadows!

Anyway, good luck with it, looks promising so far (but you might want to run this in the Unity iPhone engine)
  • tex_cookiedough
    i was just wondering about performance on the iphone, have you tested it yet? anyway looks good running in unity :) keep it up
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah no way in hell this is runnin on an iphone. Perhaps it could run on the iphone 4 if you are gods of optimisation, but no way in hell anything earlier.

But regardless it looks pretty :).
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The controls are designed for Iphone actually, with analog replacing w,a,s,d keys. Performance wise the level architecture itself is extremely low poly. iPhone can handle 10-12k ploys on screen at once and supports particles. Yeah the real time shadowed will have to go, but everything else should be doable,

Thanks for the comments!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    im mostly concerned about the large amounts of alpha on the ground tiles. Where the iphone falls down isnt the polycount it is the fillrate.

whats your target iphone generation. 3gs?
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its actually being designed originally for iPad, altough we hope to translate it down to iPhone after its release.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks sweet yeah I was concerned at the number of polys on screen, Ive had 2000-3000 polys on screen with multiple alphas and about 7 textures working perfectly fine in our in house engine but I havent pushed our engine yet, would be interesting to see if it really is possible to get 10k polys on an iphone game.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good, but I also am wondering about the performance of this. At how many drawcalls are you guys atm?
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    You are going to have to use 100% vertex lighting on iphone, no realtime shadows. You can use fake projector shadows (or "blob shadows") though. Im going to guess the biggest performance hit you will have when running it on iphone will be draw calls, then triangles.

Artistically the extreme red and green lighting looks quite bad. Use more subtle hues and saturation.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    buddikaman wrote: »
    Its actually being designed originally for iPad, altough we hope to translate it down to iPhone after its release.

Theres not really much in it hardware wise, so you should be OK - however I would advise building this directly in the Unity iPhone engine, not the Unity engine, otherwise you will in for a serious shock. (lots of Unity functions are simply not available between the engines)