Home General Discussion

Hey, United Kingdom, tell me about your voltage. (Or anyone from US/CAN who travels!)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
I'm heading to Great Britain (England + Scotland) on Saturday and I'm going over my electronics.

My understanding is that GB voltage is 230 +/- 10, correct?

So if I have electronics that require 110/220V, 110/230V, and 110/240V I should be fine with just an adaptor, yeah?

Do I need a converter if its 110/250V ?

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, electric outlets here are supposed to always be 230V +/- 10% at 50hz. Most outlets run 220.

All of those voltages you listed would indeed work fine, the 110/250 also because I think that means a 'minimum of 110 and max of 250' rather than 110 OR 250.

Make sure you pick up an adapter that has some sturdy pins on it, some sockets need a bit of a push to get the plug in and on those adapters with retracting pins it can be annoying.

Enjoy your trip!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I'm sorry I can't add anything to the voltage discussion but Adam I have a question for you.

What part of Scotland are you visiting? =]
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    Their systems over there are way more unstable then our north American ones. When I moved to Scotland I was advised to buy a converter (the thing that looks like a brick) and I am glad that I did because i no doubt saved my PC numerous times. A convertor will offer the protection and peice of mind that an adapator just wont.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    When I went to London (stop over), our converter blew up (sparked) though havent had problems with ones from there. GODDAM YOU SHODDY NA PRODUCTS!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    most modern electronics (laptop, phone charger, camera power supply/battery charger, etc) should just work no matter where on earth you are as long as they read something similar to 110/230 somewhere on the power brick.
    I never needed a converter except for the following... US bought laser printer, a hair dryer, a NTSC VHS VCR, a 17" CRT monitor (why was I so stupid to move this back to Europe anyway???). Although I doubt you'll take any of those items on your travels...

Having a plug-thingy that you can plug inbetween the wall socket and your gadget's plug, which offers you some surge protection, is a good investment though! Usually the best place to buy this is at an airport.