Home Technical Talk

quick question: How can I get these ui buttons in max?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
fearian greentooth
This is a really badly worded question, and I'm sure the answer is simple as piss, but I have no idea what to search for. Basically, I was watching some 3d motive tuts, and I saw these buttons:

qZUnw.png

I've seen them before - how do I bring them up? These are pretty much the exact shortcuts I'd use most, too.

Thanks!

Replies

• kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    perfect! thanks a ton!
  • Dreamexpress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe i could hijack this thread and ask a quick question too.
    Do anybody know if there is a premade hotkey or a maxscript i can setup
    so i can increase or decrease the value of x,y or z in the coordinate system?
    That would help so i can use the mouse to move around in the viewport while adjusting the vert instead of dragging the gizmo
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    you can right click on the "select and move" button on the toolbar.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Maybe i could hijack this thread and ask a quick question too.
    Do anybody know if there is a premade hotkey or a maxscript i can setup
    so i can increase or decrease the value of x,y or z in the coordinate system?
    That would help so i can use the mouse to move around in the viewport while adjusting the vert instead of dragging the gizmo
    [F12] brings up the transform type in floater which lets you adjust the position with spinners or numeric input.
    Although the same is available as well at the bottom of the max interface.

Obviously one could write a script as well that lets you offset or keyboard style move objects around, but the question is if its worth the effort?
  • Dreamexpress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found this http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/nudge-with-arrow-keys
    but its from 2004 so im not sure it works anymore.
    Also i would like to have a increase and decrease hotkey just for when selecting one axis at the time so i only need two of hotkeys.
    yeah the spinners and numeric input requires the mouse so then its not free for navigating
    I think the modelling speed would increase some with this. Worth it? I dont know how much time and effort it would take. But i would use it for sure!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    most likely it will still work. Maxscript has a good reputation for being extremely backwards compatible.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Don't you mean extremely forwards compatible? Backwords compatible would mean they hardly ever add anything new to it :p
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    no backwards, as in not destroying compatibility with very olds scripts like back from the 90's. There are many things changing but usually in a way that keeps older scripts still functional.
    Many important UV things (my expertise) were added with 2008 and as such they are not working with max 9 or older.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Nope, backwards compatible is correct...
    If it were forwards compatible, then scripts that were made on later versions of 3d max should also work with older versions.

I use the transform type-in box instead of the bottom statusbar because the floating box takes up less space (if you hide the bottom bars)
    But the design of the box isn't very space-efficient, it could easily be 6x smaller and still provide the same functionality.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    If you find the change is to great on the transform spinners you can hold alt to decrease the rate of change. ctrl will speed it up. This works on most max spinners(right clicking Zeros them).

I wonder though have you tried the max snapping tools. they tend to me my first port of call for accurate placement when modeling