Home General Discussion

Maybe I could become a truck driver.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
Do you have the number to that truck driving school we saw on T.V? Truck Masters I think it is? I might need that.

But in all seriousness, failed a flying test and it feels like shit. In the long run, really doesn't mean much at all, just have to redo it, but god its a shitty feeling. Stomache drops ect ect. Also, first time this has happened in my career, so not really knowing how to deal with it.

Anyway, that's my story, hows everyone else?

Replies

• Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    Everyone else is not blogging on polycount.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    what was this test about?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just made steak patatoes and mixed vegetables mediteranian style.
    Pretty tasty! ^^
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I had to do homework, and I woke up early and I felt like shit, and I was all "hell no I ain't doing this shit" so I turned on my PC and started procrastinating.

More on topic, I should have done the goddamn G2 driving test for more than a year now but I keep on convincing myself that I will take a course so that the insurance fee is smaller (the younger you are, generally the more expensive auto insurance is. Having a certificate of a successful driving course completion takes some percents off.) I've been driving for two years though, so it's not like I wouldn't pass it, I'm just lazy to go out and do it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    quit with the trolling, how to deal with rejection be it a flight test, an art test, or a job interview is pertinent to the community.

The best thing I did in a similar situation was to not even dwell on it, I took an early flight home and got working on the next thing.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    quit with the trolling, how to deal with rejection be it a flight test, an art test, or a job interview is pertinent to the community.

The best thing I did in a similar situation was to not even dwell on it, I took an early flight home and got working on the next thing.

QFT this is a community guys and Smirnoffka has been here for quite a while. PLUS he failed a flight test, that's pretty interesting to me at least. What part did you fail exactly Smirnoff? And why was it difficult?
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    QFT this is a community guys and Smirnoffka has been here for quite a while. PLUS he failed a flight test, that's pretty interesting to me at least. What part did you fail exactly Smirnoff? And why was it difficult?

Yeah I suppose you're right.

My dad was actually considering doing a flight test. Never came down to it, tho. Is it difficult?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    how to deal with rejection be it a flight test, an art test, or a job interview is pertinent to the community..

Its a pertinent part of life, drivers license test, did bad on the ACT/SAT, didn't get accepted into that college, failed a final, etc etc.
    Get up and try again, its all you can do.

And the only reason I posted the "troll pic" was because he is already joking about it and is kinda getting over it, even though it still sucks.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

No.

No retarded threads in PC GC please...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    What part did you fail exactly Smirnoff? And why was it difficult?
    Yea I'm curious too. Was it a written test or an actual flying test? Military BS or is it a little more hardcore like,
    "There is a scorch mark where I left my plane..."
    "But you ditched in the water!?"
    "...exactly..."

Honestly nothing wrong with turning flying into a hobby and making game art your full time gig, or doing something else related to flying. But holy hell is that an expensive hobby haha ha ha! Yea if you can get someone else to foot the bill for equipment, fuel and maintenance stick it out. =P
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good god! It's one of them brand new bloggity deali-o's ain't it? Golly, I better tell me ol' folks about this right away!
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I got the impression that the closest thing to discussing your personal life on PC is birthday and job threads, other than that nothing is allowed.

That sucks though, but the only thing you can do is try again right?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin wrote: »
    I got the impression that the closest thing to discussing your personal life on PC is birthday and job threads, other than that nothing is allowed.

That sucks though, but the only thing you can do is try again right?
    While this is pretty close to a bloggity post... I don't like the idea of PC being that whitewashed. I've always seen the no blogging rule more as "this isn't a place for you to unload your personal drama where it runs crazy and ruins the place".

In short, "no drama".
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Skamberin wrote: »

Not true at all. There's photo threads, a thread about some guy pimping out his car, good places to get eats, etc. I think the unspoken rule is, if it interests everybody, or at least a handful of people, go for it.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Ah, that clears things up. Thanks!
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    Vig wrote: »
    Yea I'm curious too. Was it a written test or an actual flying test? Military BS or is it a little more hardcore like,
    "There is a scorch mark where I left my plane..."
    "But you ditched in the water!?"
    "...exactly..."

I agree with this^ If there is a story to tell then do tell! I've actually always been interested in what goes into learning to fly.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    AFAIK the "polycount isn't your blog" thread stated the next person to say "polycount isn't your blog" would get a temporary vacation.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    As with most things, failure isn't always negative. It should let you know, or become aware that you may not be ready yet, and need a bit more work. You shouldn't give up, and keep working hard at it, if it is a serious goal of yours.

The same can be applied to art tests. When people ask "am i ready to take one?" the best answer usually is "dunno, have you tried?" If you try and fail, it just illustrates that all you need to do is work hard, study more, and strive to be better than the people giving you the test.

Never succumb to failure, embrace it, and use it as a tool :)

Keep workin at it man, if you really want to fly, study harder and fly like a leaf in the wind :)
  • amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So are you going to be like Maverick from Top Gun and fly those Fighter pilot jet planes with your best friend called Goose, then get into a sortie and flat line the plane only for you and Goose to eject from the plane but for Goose to ultimately bite the bucket.... (catches breath)..then you lose your confidence and you feel bad but then you remember that you are a leet pilot and graduate after you get your confidence back.

Then you get assigned to go onto a real life skirmish with your real life equivalent of iceman and end up saving the day then returning to the Enterprise with adulation and everyone worshipping you and then you finally end up becoming an instructor as well.

Well are you going to be one of those pilots?????
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    thats what spoiler tabs are for.

Although I'm sure there is an age at which movies reach that you can spoil away without fear of being flamed for it.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    I'm pretty sure after 24 years you're allowed to talk about a movie without spolier tags. And the chick in the crying game is a dude. And flying is cool.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    rube wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure after 24 years you're allowed to talk about a movie without spolier tags. And the chick in the crying game is a dude. And flying is cool.

nope, not when you have access to spoiler tags. No need to ruin entertainment for others...

I hope stuff gets better Smirnoffka! Cheers!
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    well, you have to fail at something sooner or later. Life would be boring as hell if you were great and just passed everything all the time. This kind of stuff keeps people humble.

What you should have did though was quick save right before you messed up and just reloaded. Have you learned nothing from videogames!?
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, some good responses!

To further elaborate, it was a flying test, and an instrument rating test. So, I'm strapped into the back seat of the jet, with a big bag over the canopy so I can't see outside, and I fly the whole sortie on instruments. Its difficult, but I've been doing for quite a while, no biggie. But, when the instructor throws a whole bunch of simulated emergencies at you things can get tricky. Still, no biggie I thought, I've passed this test a few times before, same canned emergencies ect ect.

What had happened is that my standy AI (attitude indicator), basically the most important thing to fly with in cloud/instrument conditions, was not working correctly, and because the instructor took the HUD off me, I got tasked saturated with simply keeping the shiny side of the aircraft up. One thing that can happen very quickly whilst flying is a loss of situation awareness (SA). Whilst flying (and especially in a fighter) SA is your most important asset, and if you lose it then everything else becomes more difficult. Its hard to even locate where you are and regain your SA. Well, long story cut short, I didn't turn when I was supposed to, was very close to busting airspace and was subsequently failed.

What does this mean? Well, not a whole lot really. I'll do another currency ride on Monday, and have another crack on Tuesday. No biggie, and I'm really not all that worried about it.

I believe there is a few big ticket points to be taken from this experience, and although this is a very specific aviation fuckup, I think it can be universally applied to many fields, computer game art/art tests included.

1. Life is built up of experiences.
    Yes, I felt pretty bummed yesterday as it was the first time I had failed anything. I've never been a Maverick, but overall my skills have been pretty solid but yesterday proved that no matter how much you think you know, there is always a whole lot more to learn. As Moose already stated, there are not a whole lot of negatives to come out of this situation, mostly positives. Yes, its an annoyance that I'll have to refly the test, but think of it this way. I saw something that completely threw me, sapped my SA and brainspace and ultimately led me to fuckup. This was in a controlled, safe environment, with an instructor visual in the front seat making sure I didn't hit anything. Had this happened when I was solo, in cloud, in busy airspace, the consequences could have been much worse. I could have killed myself, or worse, someone else.

But I tell you this, if this situation rose again, I would certainly be able to recognize it and be able to correct it quickly.

Not much more you can ask really, considering all I have to do is an extra couple of flights to be an overall safer operator.

2. Like has been stated before, you cannot dwell on things like this, because you are only hurting yourself. Its easy to sit down and feel sorry for yourself (as I did a bit last night), but you need to get over it.

My Mum has always said, 'You can't change what has happened, what you can change is how you deal with the situation'. And that is God Damn right.

A positive attitude and a belief in yourself and your own skills can go a looooong way. Nobody is infallable, everyone makes mistakes (maybe not Bobo :P). Thats life, and we have to move on with a smile and a laugh.

Phew, if you got through that, well done! And as for the blogging comment, meh, not about to start a flame war. And Zac, don't worry, I saw the humour in yours :)

Till next time!

30871_450977648134_791853134_5949395_4364653_n.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Glad to hear you got through that, very interesting story. Now, is it a military test or a general flying test for a commercial flying licence thing? I just have no idea of how these things are handled but it has always interested me.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I'd really think the government isn't gonna throw you out over one failed test, after the probably millions already invested in your training?
    (edit: felipe, I'm supposing he doesn't get to fly jets commercially)
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, yeah, that's what I wanted to know, if the licenses are independent and everything. Come to think of it, I'm sure he won't miss flying slow ass Boeings once you're ripping the skies above the speed of sound so it's all good.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit, flying in a bag? You also take off and land with that on? No HUD and all?
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We take off with it, but don't land. That would be dangerous.

Just FYI everyone, I passed the refly today, no biggie.

Cheers guys!
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pics or it didn't happen.

I kid, I kid, damn, congratulations man. :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool story, great attitude and Congrats!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, +1 on what DKK said..

Even if you cock up something tremendously and get fired/expelled/court martialled, you have still got to fly a fighter jet..

Thats right up there on the manliness scale, right under wrestling a bear..
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    Congratulations! This thread was an interesting read. Thanks polycount (and you positive polycounters! you know who your are).
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :)

And DKK, coolness is not defined by what you do, just who you are. I certainly have a cool job, but I think that you blokes who make computer games also have friggen good jobs.

Lifes a fucking garden. Dig it.

:)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I love when you post here. You have a much more exciting life than most of us guys.. We sit around on our asses getting fat and making imaginary elves, you fly a fucking jet. A giant, super-fast instrument of death and power. Do they ever let you shoot at stuff?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hah yeah, seriously, that's just what I was thinking. Everytime I sit in an airplane (like a stuffed citybus compared to what you fly), I keep thinking that roaming above the clouds freely must be one of the best things ever.

Did you, Smirnoffka, or anybody here ever see "Sky Fighters" ? The cinematography in that movie is mindblowing, really makes me want to fly a jet like that :)
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    DKK wrote: »
    You fly a Fighter Jet. You are orders of magnitude cooler than any one else here.

We've been telling him this for years, but he doesn't believe us. Every time he has girl problems, I just shake my head and imagine how Maverick and Goose would have handled the situation :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Smirnoffka wrote: »
    Thanks guys :)

Lifes a fucking garden. Dig it.

^
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, you guys don't help with my already massively inflated head :). You're awesome!

But seriously, it's just my job. Don't get me wrong, I love it, and it has its ridiculously awesome parts (Slum: See shooting at stuff and dropping big things that go boom!), but it is just a job. It certainly doesn't define the person that I am, or try to be.

Like most people here, to get to the place in life that we are, we have had to work hard to get there. You don't become the best in your field by not trying hard, and continuing to learn. I don't really think I need to explain how many relationships have broken down with me as result of the needs that my service has placed on me. But I'm where I want to be, and you guys are too.

To be honest, sometimes I do feel a little out of place here, as you are all game artists, and, lets be honest, I fucking suck. But I really enjoy the community here at PC, and the way that this place seems to be so, for lack of better words, on the level. Its not full of trolling and there is always help to be found, for all skill levels. And trust me, I often need LOTS of it!

Anyways, enough of that. I've got some nice flights coming up next week and I'll be putting a little something special together for polycount. I guess you'll just have to wait and see!

Cheers
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Hey man i'm not sure if i posted before but congrats on passing the re-test!