Home General Discussion

Can a Maya user make it in the games industry?

so after browsing through this forum it seems like a good place to ask this since so many people here are working at game companies.

I want to build a portfolio and try to find a job as an environment artist. Although all the companies I looked at listed 3ds as what they use, and a few had "3ds/Maya". I've been using maya for 5 years, tried out the 30 day trial of 3ds Max but didn't like it at all.

So,basically I want to know. Do I need to learn 3ds to get a job? Am I misinformed? Are game developers moving towards Maya or letting artists choose what program to use?

It seems strange that you have to use 3ds for games when Maya is made by the same company and does the same thing (only better in my opinion). I'm willing to invest in 3ds and take the time to learn it. I just don't want to spend my time learning a new tool when I could be building a portfolio, unless I have to.

BTW, I don't want this to turn into a "which program is better" thread, because everybody has their own preferences. I just want to know which is the better investment as far as getting a job is concerned. Thanks

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Can a Maya user make it in the games industry?

Lol_face.jpg
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, I'm new here too. I'm a longtime Blender and occasional Max user, and if there's one thing I've learned is that once you know one program you know them all.

If you can produce great art in Maya, there's nothing to stop you from doing the same in Max. If you want a job that requires it, you might want to freshen up your understanding of the program. I used to dislike Max too, but I've learned that as with any program you automatically dislike what you aren't familiar with.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Once you know the modeling concepts, modeling packages don't matter.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea its the skill set of modeling/texturing etc that matters. you can always learn another tool and add it to the belt. there are a ton of maya studios out there...naughty dog, sony santa monica, guerilla etc it really shouldn't hinder you too much.

Just be open to learning max if the job requires it, being stubborn simply because you don't like it would be more of a hindrance.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, I thought a ton of studios were using Maya. I was a Maya user and I learned Max the same time I did the art test for my first game job, I just had to watch a few 3dbuzz videos.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    hmm, I thought a ton of studios were using Maya.

They are. The vast majority of them.

(Granted, it is gradually getting more popular in the states)
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Plenty of game companies use Maya. Insomniac, Lightbox Interactive, to name a couple. Max is a staple and widely used.

haiddasalami makes a good point. What is in your folio is what matters, and if you can prove you can model, crossing over isn't a big deal and not a giant deciding factor on your employment.

Maya was made by Alias Wavefront. It was acquired by Autodesk in 2005. Different companies, different software. I suggest you learn Max. It's not difficult and can achieve some results that Maya can't, vice versa. Knowing both will help you in the long run. Period.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I wish more studios used XSI, its so fluid to model with.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use whatever app you like. Get comfortable with the others so you can use them if its needed.

Maya is a Metric wrench.
    Max is a standard wrench.
    They both do the same thing, it just depends on what you're working on as to which one you use.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Heh. Use maya as much as you want but if you get a job expect them to use max... then when you've used max for a few years and get another job, they'll use maya.

That's how it goes... for me :(

Either way. Maya, max, whatever. I used maya in school and at my internship, Max at funcom and now maya at splash. It's all good :)
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I know Montreal studios use XSI a lot (vfx / film). Maybe because Softimage was based here. It is an awesome package, I agree. I am not a user myself but I had play around with it a little bit, and most people I know here uses it. I like the fact that you can switch between modeling/animation modes. Also ICE really is impressive too.
  • inActionJackson
    thanks for all the input. I was just worried if I didn't list 3ds on my resume no one would give it a second look, but it looks like that won't be a problem. For now I'll just use up the trial and take notes on everything in case I end up needing to use it later.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

You could try to get a job at Ubisoft, Lionhead, Konami, or Valve. :P
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I used Maya for 6 years.. never touched Max. Applied and got a job at a Max only studio. Messed around in Max for 1 week before going to work and now that is all I have used the past few months. Software Package knowledge is pretty much obsolete if you understand the concepts. The workflows are nearly the same.
    thanks for all the input. I was just worried if I didn't list 3ds on my resume no one would give it a second look, but it looks like that won't be a problem. For now I'll just use up the trial and take notes on everything in case I end up needing to use it later.

I didnt list Max at all and got hired at a Max only studio. 9 times out of 10 its your portfolio quality not the software you know... unless its a technical/programming gig.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    the opposite happened to me, grew up knowing only max and my 1st day back at big sandwich they were like "soooooo you are doing your own level and this project is all maya. go!"

took a couple days to find familiar tools but then you just roll with it.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD wrote: »
    You could try to get a job at Ubisoft, Lionhead, Konami, or Valve. :P

That's interesting, I didn't know that. Makes sense though I find modelling time to be cut in half using XSI and that coming from someone thats been a life long Max user.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Valve use Maya now and i believe XSI is only used at Ubisoft for cinematics.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    According to Valves Jobs page:
    Artists
    3+ years industry experience
    Working knowledge of Maya or XSI and Photoshop, Mudbox, Zbrush, Modo a plus
    Ability to take a piece from concept to final product

Animators

3+ years industry experience
    Working knowledge of Maya or XSI
    Ability to animate from concept to final product

For artists it seems like "use anything BUT max" ha!
    For animation I think they prefer XSI.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Vig, it's like Valve's all antiMax, and I don't really get why? :S
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't ignore max or leave it off your resume. Do a few simple projects with it to get familiar with the workflow, you don't need to be an expert but some basic understanding will make the transition easier. Normally when you list software you list your prefered or most comfortable package first. I've seen some people rate the apps too.

I think its a bit of a misconception that a studio won't factor in the absence of the preferred software on the candidates resume. For rockstars yea they will probably take a chance and spend some extra hand holding time. But entry level, not so amazing artists will probably get passed over for another not so amazing artist who doesn't require the extra ramp up time.

But don't studios only hire rockstars? Most companies that are worth working for, match candidates to the job that's open. If they're looking for a rockstar they'll hire a rockstar. If they need a LOD monkey they aren't going to insult top talent by low balling them with a step down. Some do then have a hard time understanding why they didn't take the job.