Home Technical Talk

Multiple Objects onto a single UV map?

LuckyNinja
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
LuckyNinja polycounter lvl 11
Hi there, just a quick question for you fine folks (and sorry its such a noobish question to boot)

I'm currently modelling a rifle of my own design (will most probably post in the "What are you Working on Thread" when done) but the problem is that I want to keep everything onto a single UV map, but as I'm intending for this to go in a game, there are multiple parts (magazine, bolt, fire selector, ejector....thingie and the body itself). I still want to keep these onto a single UV Map, or else at least having all objects not part of the main body on a separate one.

However, I'm not sure how to go about putting these separate objects onto a single UV map, so please I would like to have some help in achieving this.

Many thanks in advance,
Lucky

Replies

• ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Hi,
    if I understand correctly - you have your gun currently in several pieces and you´d like to put them together on one UV layout, yet then have them broken down back into pieces. If you´re using max, just attach the parts you have now so you´ll have it all as one object, apply unwrap UVW modifier (here you can either unwrap the model or just position the UVs correctly so they don´t overlay each other if you already unwrapped the parts before attaching), then convert it to editable poly (or editable mesh. I don´t know which one you´re using. the important thing is to apply the unwrap modifier so you could break it into pieces) and break it all into pieces as you wish again (just select elements/polygons you want to have as a separate object and click "detach". for example you´ll select the magazine parts and detach it. and the magazine will be as a separate object now while the UVs will be placed correctly according to the rest of the weapon)
    I hope it helped you.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Yes usually in most applications you would merge the objects together to one editable poly and then unwrap that collection.
    That way you can make sure that you have a consistent texel density (density of pixels across all faces). Another pro is that its easier to arrange elements in your UV map based on material, object or whatever groupings you like in order to find it back later.

If you are using 3dsMax there is a nice normalize script by Mop (member here at PC) that makes sure that all the UV shells are scaled at the same proportion in relation to each other so that pixels (texels in 3d space) have the same size on all faces across all models.
    TexTools has this script included for example among a few other UV tools that help you with unwrapping and texturing. More info about these scripts:
    http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    You can attach all the piece together in one single mesh, or uv map them sepearatly, just make sure they share the same shader in your 3d app so it exports as a single material.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Just select them all and lay them out together. They don't need to be attached or anything. In maya, you don't have to do anything special, in max you select them all and apply an unwrap uv modifier to the selection, and lay them out.
  • LuckyNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuckyNinja polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you so much, everyone, I've got it to work now. I feel so special but happy :)

oh and @ renderhjs you don't need to plug your textools, I use them anyways (and you have my gratitude - they're brilliant!)
  • cabley123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i remembered doing a tut for softimage mod tool where you had a character in a few separate pieces and separate texture map files and then he attached them together into a single mesh and some how turned all the map files into one... would there be a way to do this in max instead?

here is the link to the tut.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjsstUqiUyY&feature=related[/ame]
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    max already gives you a big freedom, so to answer your question: there is no wrong or right, but there are multiple ways of doing it.

Lets say for example that you unwrap object by object (don't mind to much yet the layout) and then want to bring them together. Simply select all objects, add with all objects selected a unwrap UVW modifier (which will be instanced to all objects at the same time). With this unwramp modifier attached to all objects you can now move the shells of each object around and arrange the complete layout.

I however always merge my objects at some point before I unwrap because not everything works so well in the multi object mode in max 2008+, plus if I want to unwrap some parts in headus or other tools its easier to treat it as a single object collection and unwrap that. Once done then get to pivots, sub objects and alike.