Home General Discussion

Recommended RPG's

Hello,

Please help me find some more good RPG's for me to play =-)

Games I like;

SWKOTOR (best rpg ever..for me)
NWN
NWN2
Pool of radiance
Mass effect
Mass effect 2
dragon age

Any suggestions welcome, thank-you.

Replies

• jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    Baulder's Gate I & II
    Fallout I & II
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    If you already love bioware rpgs then you must play Jade Empire you can pick it up for like $10-$15 on Xbox live games on demand. Epics martials arts rpg with a solid bioware story and some really cool character and environment design.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Fallout 3 is my RPG of choice.

Baulders gate is good, but a bit dated (and didn't really age well).

You might like Oblivion and the Elder Scroll series.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is brilliant if a little rough around the edges. I recommend you grab the community updates for it as it irons out a lot of the bugs.

The Witcher is also a great game.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    Planescape: Torment (a lot of guys from NWN2 worked on this.)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    i prefer the rpg-7.

Rpg-7.jpg it's cheap and gets the job done.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    i prefer the rpg-7.

I see what you did there
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played all of these ,Vampire TMB was a very good game.

Havn't played baldurs gate,will checkit out. Also planescape,interesting :o.

About 10 years ago I played runescape..12 hrs a day, jesus I was so addicted to that :P
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    The Gothic Series
    The Witcher
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Chrono Trigger
    Zelda
    Airborn well not yet, ehem
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Skies of Arcadia is an old game, but it's still several kinds of awesome.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Another vote for The Witcher - absolutely superb RPG.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    The Witcher, best RPG i've played and the books are great as well.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Dunno if you like JRPG's, but i'd say Vagrant Story. It's not really the same as others, combat isn't turn based really.

As far as non Jrpg's go..
    I think everyone has listed the good stuff.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    another awesome JRPG is FinalFantasyXXXVIIIVX

but seriously try Valkeryie Profile: Silmeria.. it was pretty badass and hasn't been mentioned, of course its also pretty old at this point.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    recently:

Risen
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Arcanum! No other game really allows you to create player characters that are as interesting: a savant who can only speak like a cave man, but creates marvelous technological contraptions (including a flamethrower and a top hat that deflects bullets); a clumsy Halfling gunsmith with barely enough strength to carry his guns, with a habit of shooting himself; an evil Elven mage who is so handsome that everyone will comment about being 'delighted' to see him; a persuasive Dwarf who walks around with a company of minute followers; a hydrophobic water mage...

To be fair, Arcanum's combat isn't much fun and it has too many dungeons, but it's well worth a try regardless.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Baulders gate is good, but a bit dated (and didn't really age well).

Did it? I might be a bit biased since it's one of my favourite games, but I've been replaying it a couple of months ago and it's as good as ever. In fact, I have yet to play a recent RPG that surpasses it in terms of depth. It's worth a mention that there's a widescreen fix that makes it easier to play on modern PC's.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Arcanum also has the best orchestrated soundtrack ever.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    good luck finding a copy, but dungeon siege 2...
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Is Mario considered an RPG?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Planescape Torment, The Witcher, Ultima VII Serpent Isle ...they're all very story heavy though, guess that's why I love them.

Honorary mention goes to Oblivion - I just love the atmonsphere and the huge open game world. The story is kinda meh though.

If you have Dungeon Siege, I recommend the Ultima V Lazarus fan mod - this thing is absolutely superb and epic, and the soundtrack is just awesome. And it's free too!

edit: since someone mentioned it, Vampire... Vampire Bloodlines is nice too, but it feels really more like an adventure game, even though it has stats'n'stuff.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    more like an adventure game? imo its more of a RPG then oblivion, stats that actually affect dialogue and overall a really really solid dialogue system, great story and a solid rule system. Its also built from a PnP rpg.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    yeah I know all that :) I just miss the freedom to do as you please... i.e. roam around the world as in Oblivion, Baldur's Gate or Ultima VII. The smallish levels and the rather linear story make it feel quite adventure-ish to me. I'd say it's more akin to games like "The Longest Journey" in the way it feels, except you can chose different characters

It ain't the type of game you want to play if RPG means to you that "there's a whole world out there to explore".

Mind you, the line that seperates RPG / Adventures nowadays is kinda blurry anyway as more and more Adventures include RPG elements and vice versa. After all, the first CRPGs (e.g. Nethack, Akalabeth) had (almost) no story at all.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Final Fantasy Tactics for PS1.
    Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions on PSP is updated with more olde timey style of speaking and a couple of new classes. I prefer the original though.

And I also recommend Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines. ;)
    boyluya wrote: »
    Is Mario considered an RPG?
    There's the Squaresoft Super Mario RPG game for a bit of an oddity.
    Oh and the Super Paper Mario games are sorta RPGS.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Snemmy, FFtactics is the best thing in the world.
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    playing risen.. wow what an amazing game.. really getting into it..on chapter 2 atm :P..20 hours over past 3 days, havn't done that since i was 12 lol..
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, it really did the same for me, got all curious again, so much to explore on that island.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking about getting Risen, but I heard the combat is really finicky - is it as bad as everyone makes out?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't call it bad, it definately works out fine in the game, feels like it is based around timing alot, since blocking is a big part of it, and enemies will block too, so you're blocking and waiting for the right time to strike.

I haven't tried anything but sword/shield combo though.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The combat fits the game , It's not a game thats completely focused around fighting, more solving riddles/quests and talking to people. Ofcourse combat is always there thgough.

would recommend it, addictgive.
  • javi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    javi polycounter lvl 16
    You should try Demon Souls, its incredibly challenging, but totally worth it!
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    old school but here's a list of some great ones

-Crono trigger
    -Secret of Mana
    -Final Fantasy 6 (or was in 3 in america...whatever one has kefka, and terra and no Gay cloud and bad plot holes in the story)
    -Final Fantasy Tactic (good game play + story!)
    -Seventh Saga
    -Lunar

And surprisingly

-Super Mario RPG
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    CJE wrote: »
    torchlight_logo-640x320.jpg

Thats not a RPG that's a dungeon crawler :P
  • amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played Grandia the first one on the playstation it was fantastic it's a really nice upbeat game with a great narrative and it was a good experience. The turn based battle was nice and innovative for it's time and the colour manga/ anime graphics were engaging.

I think everyone knows about it but it was overshadowed at the time because of FF7 I think it's still a great game though and Ubisoft did a great job with it.

i38hh0.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FsGTiS9N5Q[/ame]
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    amotaf wrote: »
    I played Grandia the first one on the playstation it was fantastic it's a really nice upbeat game with a great narrative and it was a good experience. The turn based battle was nice and innovative for it's time and the colour manga/ anime graphics were engaging.

I think everyone knows about it but it was overshadowed at the time because of FF7 I think it's still a great game though and Ubisoft did a great job with it.

I loved this game so much when I was a kid, it never got enough love, it was the only game I ever took an entire week off from school (faking sickness) just to play and beat, good times with that game, good times.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are there any Lord of The Rings RPG'S I could try? I've played Conquest on the 360 which wasn't so great and I know about the up coming War in the North but are there any RPG's based on Mr.Tolkiens beautfil world for the PC?
    I'm willing to try anything old and new.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    I dont think there has ever been a decent lotr RPG no. Shame really its the most complete fantasy world out there imo should make for a great setting for an RPG :i
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Okay, this game is probably not what you expect, it was made by some indie guys, but it's really enjoyable. It's free, and I think you'll really really like it:

http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/game/LastScenario

I played through it, and some parts may be a little sluggish, but overall it's really quite good overall.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    snemmy wrote: »
    Final Fantasy Tactics for PS1.
    Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions on PSP is updated with more olde timey style of speaking and a couple of new classes. I prefer the original though.

there are also various versions of disgaea that offer similar gameplay, not quite my cup of tea tho. the best J-SRPG i remember playing is clearly level 5's 'jeanne d'arc' on PSP. modernized usability and combat compared to FFT.

anyway, my recommended RPG's however totally unlike the original poster's preferences they might be:

'persona 3 FES' (and portable) and 'persona 4'.
    they rock imo, best games i played in the last years for sure. currently playing thru 'persona 3 portable'.
    JRPG's with turn-based (tho very much streamlined) battles: yes - tedious grindfests with cliche androgynous characters, stupid dialogue, random encounters and totally linear gameplay: nope.

a more action oriented one perhaps worth a look is 'odin sphere', i found it charming and unusual but too difficult for my liking.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    suikoden-2-pal1.jpg

108 character to recruit , very epic 40+ hours story (even with minimum grinding), your own castle that grows. your decision will influence your ending.
    a game formula that cant simply be imitated by current gen consoles.

Mass effect - for those who think Rpg is all about medieval and magic, thing game will break the myth, its sci-fi game at its finest.

final fantasy 7 - normally people play final fantasy 7 because of cloud , aeris , and story line, ok, it has good CG but i think thats not the strong part, even the storyline is kinda mediocre.
    what makes me looooove this game is their gameplay content. numerous enemies, secret mountains, Gold saucer amusement park, Chocobo breeding, other minigames. the world is just really huge, from little village to very large Midgard city.
    it just made FInal fantasy XIII just simply hack and slash arcade game :p
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been playing King's Bounty (was $10 on steam for the original + expansion) and have to say I'm finding it really enjoyable.

http://www.kings-bounty.com/eng/

It's a sort of open-world quest/mission based tactics game. Worth a shot if you're not interested in the typical melodramatic jRPG.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    Arcanum! No other game really allows you to create player characters that are as interesting: a savant who can only speak like a cave man, but creates marvelous technological contraptions (including a flamethrower and a top hat that deflects bullets); a clumsy Halfling gunsmith with barely enough strength to carry his guns, with a habit of shooting himself; an evil Elven mage who is so handsome that everyone will comment about being 'delighted' to see him; a persuasive Dwarf who walks around with a company of minute followers; a hydrophobic water mage...

Arcanum is on sale for less than $6 on gog.com until Monday.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/arcanum_of_steamworks_and_magick_obscura
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The demo of the original Never Winter.
    I just played it xD
    Man...I wish in the early 80's so I could play these old legendary games and understand them :/
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    Why is Fallout 3 only mentioned once? If you're not into the medieval stuff (like me) then I can't recommend Fallout 3 enough. Seriously, it's really cheap now and totally worth it.
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    I'm totally in love with old school RPGs too, can't help feeling that they just had that much more to offer somehow (or maybe I've just become too used to it...)

In addition to the ones already posted, like Suikoden(2), Final Fantasy (7,9,6 + Tactics in particular) and Grandia there's more PSX titles that people who like the classics should definitely give a try:

Xenogears. If you like the good old FFs you definately HAVE to play it. To me it's story is second only to FFVII, if at all.

Chrono Cross, Breath of Fire 3+4, Valkyrie Profile.

On PS2 my Vote goes to Valkyrie Profile Silmeria as well, and Kingdom Hearts <3

On GC I'm all for the Baten Kaitos Series and Tales of Symphonia...

On 360 I'm in love with Lost Odyssey as it's one of the few "new" games that kinda feel a bit like the good old FFs (which is awesome, at least to me) but successfully bring it to HD. This is easily my favorite RPG of this era: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-07-lost-odyssey/25302

So yeah most of these are JRPGs, if you hate them feel free to ignore them, if not, make sure to play them =)