Home General Discussion

The Engi Update

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Stinger88 polycounter
Just thought i'd start a thread to discuss the engi update.

Had a quick blast on TF2 earlier....Its gone engi crazy. As predicted.

I've unlocked the new shotty. But havent used it yet tbh.

(note: played maps 2Fort, Sawmill and Double cross CTF)

But I have messed about with the movable buildings. IMO its the most significant change to the game thus far. Its going to change the game massively I think. What I soon discovered is that all the engi's create a sort of building site outside spawn rooms and get the building up to level 3 pronto. This means it takes time for the engis to claim ground. But when they do start moving stuff its a fast process. Getting a lvl 3 sentry or tele up nearly instantly anywhere on the map (that you can get to) is awesome. And if 2 engis and a pyro work together to protect each others buildings they'll be pretty hard to stop on some maps.

On the first server I was on there was no limit to engi's. So there was like 10 on each side. Which was ridiculous. They were all over the place. It was Spy sapping heaven! I also played on a server with a 3 engi limit which seemed alot more normal thankfully.

The other updates look cool (but maybe not amazing). Will discuss them more when I get a go of them.

Anyhoo. With moveable buildings map tactics are change dramatically

What you guys think so far?

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Haven't played it since the update, bet the Spy's are loving it :)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Engineer was my main class back when I played (I had about 300 hours logged on the engineer until I reset).

>_<

That said, I kind of wish they catered to more offensive engineering. These changes seem to help engineers turtle. (Although spawncamping with a moveable level 3 turret sounds amazing).
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    played a bunch last night, got everything but the mini sentries. the Wrangler is awesome, oh man.. if not a little weak feeling but it's worth it for maximum range. Frontier Justice is amazing too. really powerful once you get revenge crits.

The new maps were also super fun :)

but yeah, being able to move your stuff is incredible.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I played some last night. 4 Engie limit on the studio rumble server. I got more "building destruction" achievements last night than I has in a very long time.

Overall seems cool. Tried a couple of new maps. Fun, but hard to tell how they'll play out in the long run.

ETA: I think if anything this has helped Engies be more offensive. Which is great for me, as I tend to be running and fighting even when I should be turtling.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I was playing around on a server with unlimited classes too, there were like 12 engis on both sides :p

It was kinda weird, didn't feel like TF2 but more like an RTS of sorts, gradually expanding your territory by constantly moving your buildings forward in turn. I've never destroyed so many buildings before using a turret!

Still haven't played with the 2 new weapons though (gameplay wise, the new shotgun doesn't really count as being new :p)
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    How do you set class limits when creating a server? I'm usually the one to create servers at work and would like to use it mainly because people here tend to abuse the Heavy, but will be of extra use now that EVERYONE is using the Engie.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I hate you all. I don't even play this game and had a dream about the engineer and crafting stuff last night. -_-
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yozora wrote: »
    It was kinda weird, didn't feel like TF2 but more like an RTS of sorts, gradually expanding your territory by constantly moving your buildings forward in turn.

I totally got that feeling as well. At one point in 2Fort there was about 5 engis slowly edging there way up through the enemy sewer. They eventually got all the way up into the base.

Woohoo!...I got the Wrangler. It is awesome really. It replaces the pistol which is not a weapon I really use anyway. Its a little hard to get the hang of and you cant hide right behind the sentry. As you need to be able to see where your aiming. It is fun though. And its great for detering a sniperfest on 2Fort. But, I have to say I probably wont be using it all that much. The auto tracking is far more deadly than my aim.

Also played a bit on Thunder Mountain and Upwards. Really good looking payload maps. Although I did get a little lost to start with. Getting the payload to the end seemed quite easy for both the teams but that might be until people find the best spots in the map.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried it last night, there were like 10 engies on both teams which obviously led to a stalemate. I tried sapping, but come on, 10 engineers in a room - not good at all.

So I quit. I'll play it when everyone calms down.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    played a few hours last night on cgtalk and had a great time blowing up peoples buildings. most of the engies had everything by the time I got in so it was interesting just going up against all the new stuff/tactics. It still comes down to having a good team though

Big Thunder and Upwards are just ridiculas in size, but very very pretty. I like the one-way windows at blue's spawn rooms. Hightower was really interesting how it was so small (though not short by any means) and everything was exposed. it created an interesting mix of steamrolling and stalemates. Overall I found the new maps to be very astheticlly pleasing, I just wish valve would hardcode that time-of-day/weather mod.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I had that server for all the game studios before (forgot the name) but for some reason after the last update to TF I lost all my favorites.

I could use some new servers if you guys wouldnt mind posting them. :)

also cant wait to try the engi' tonight!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Engineer was my main class back when I played (I had about 300 hours logged on the engineer until I reset).

>_<

That said, I kind of wish they catered to more offensive engineering. These changes seem to help engineers turtle. (Although spawncamping with a moveable level 3 turret sounds amazing).

This DEFINITELY caters to offensive engineering, especially when you use all 3 new weapons together. My tactic is to run up, build a mini-turret somewhere quickly because most likely people will shoot at it (These turrets take less than a second to build pretty much and only cost 100 metal), use the wrangler to get assists and maybe kill someone, and then when the sentry is killed I use the crits racked up from it to get some kills. The extra 25 health from the hand helps a lot for this too and Engineer is the second fastest class behind Scout.

Anyway I wasn't that excited about the new weapons at first but after playing with them for a few hours it's my favorite set of weapons from any update.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    No point playing at the moment, pretty much a campfest. Spies everywhere, nobody going for Intel or CP. Atleast the other updates people where moving forward on the offensive.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Just play on the studio rumble server where all classes are capped at 4 each.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man i should really give this game a go. ive had it since it came out and only played it like...for 2 minutes. is it even worth it? with so many changes.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    00Zero wrote: »
    man i should really give this game a go. ive had it since it came out and only played it like...for 2 minutes. is it even worth it? with so many changes.

Definitely! It's probably the best FPS multiplayer experience you'll ever have. Actually it's kinda good that you'll start playing at this point where everything has changed and kinda settled, every class now has its share of secondary weapons and achievements, the game feels more whole. It was a pain having to go through each update and getting the new weapons and having to readust and relearn how to do stuff (it was definitely fun, but also painful at times). I'd wait a couple of weeks before trying to play though, cause as it's been said, everyone's playing the Engineer and whoring achievements, so it's best to wait for a while for the hype to settle down.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    Am enjoying the achievements. This is the first and only class where I have gotten the achievements 100% legit (no help from friends on private servers :P) feels good man.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Getting a lvl 3 sentry or tele up nearly instantly anywhere on the map (that you can get to)

If you've got the wrangler, the places you can get to just increased significantly.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQgTPHY6PLg[/ame]

It's a good time to be an engi. It's a better time to be a solly.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Played for like 2 hrs today and finally got the Wrangler, then deleted it by accident because my backpack was full. :(
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Ark wrote: »
    Played for like 2 hrs today and finally got the Wrangler, then deleted it by accident because my backpack was full. :(

Why is your backpack full? Craft all that shit! I've seriously never had my backpack over halfway full because I only use about 6 of the items and craft everything else.