Home General Discussion

Quakecon 2010?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
Anyone know whats going on? Supposed to happen in August, and it's almost July registration hasnt happened and folks planning to fly in would need to know early, im lucky cause I'd just have to jump in a car and drive over but I'm sure more out of state folks and game companies would like a little more time..

anyone know the info?

Strange, wonder if it's going to happen.

Replies

• Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Well from what I know Jeremy, it is still on:) I will ask around and see when the details will drop.

Spark
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    found this from a week ago..

http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/06/23/quakecon-2010-to-have-premium-registration-option-for-byoc-area/

It's been while since id Software officially announced their plans for QuakeCon 2010. The free LAN-gaming event is still scheduled to happen on August 12-15 in Dallas but the site still has not started registration for the event. However a recent post by a QuakeCon organizer indicates that there may be a big change coming when registration begins.

According to the forum post, while QuakeCon 2010 will still be free to attend, including being able to set up in the Bring Your Own Computer area, "we're going to have a premium registration option for the BYOC" for a portion of the available seats. There are no details in the forum posts on how much this option will cost but it does state, "it's impossible that the new option will 'crowd out' the free seats." We have emailed id Software's owners Bethesda Softworks to get more info on this new QuakeCon 2010 registration option and also when registration for this year's event will actually begin.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more info..
    http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/07/01/quakecon-registration-changes/

First, if you’ve never been to QuakeCon, joining us this year couldn’t be easier – all you have to do is show up. Bring your gaming rig if you’d like to hook up and play with the nearly 3,000 other gamers in the LAN party, or just spend your days taking in the sights and sounds of the pro tournaments, exhibit hall, special events, speakers and entertainment. There is literally something for everyone that enjoys video games and it’s all free thanks to id, Bethesda, our volunteers and sponsors.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I'm driving with 6 others from Austin this year. Looking forward to a weekend of gaming, gamers that don't shower and free swag! Awesome time last year, bumped into Slum, Gauss, Struve and a few others. Missed seeing Spark. Didn't get a Quakecon 2009 t-shirt though, they were harder to come by last year :(

[ if you bring a laptop and the power goes down, as it did last year. we'll still have the laptop LAN active in the back area :) ]
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Just drop me a line Lee, I should be around this time unless I am working:) If not I will be there, getting drunk, and playing games!!!

Spark
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Quakecon is fast approaching. There are some really fantastic talks scheduled.

http://news.quakecon.org/post/881677083

I'm mostly looking forward to Richard Garriot and John Carmack talking about rockets and space travel.

This seems like one to not be missed. I hope to meet some more polycounters out there again this year :)
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Lets hope Rage gets leaked this year... I mean, erm... Shown, yeah thats it, shown... *cough*

In all seriousness, this whole media black out they have with Rage is really not helping. ATM it looks like a really basic shooter, with the most basic of RPGish elements, but all in all a generic shooter with a pretty world... I'm hoping not TBH, this games taken far too long to be another Wolfenstein turd...
  • Trappe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    Lets hope Rage gets leaked this year... I mean, erm... Shown, yeah thats it, shown... *cough*

In all seriousness, this whole media black out they have with Rage is really not helping. ATM it looks like a really basic shooter, with the most basic of RPGish elements, but all in all a generic shooter with a pretty world... I'm hoping not TBH, this games taken far too long to be another Wolfenstein turd...

Can´t say I agree, games probably more then any type of entertainment media is always overexposed.

Yes it´s a new IP and they need to capture every consumer they can, but the game could very well be a year away still and RAGE has already been shown on countless occasions.

Wouldn´t mind a peek at Doom4 like Hollenshead promised last q-con though. :)
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Rage will be obsolete at this rate, for me it looks like a fallout.

Let's see how is the final gameplay. For what i saw in past videos, the AI was very poor also. I'm bored of games with stupid enemies.

The expectations for games are pretty high nowadays.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trappe wrote: »
    Wouldn´t mind a peak at Doom4 like Hollenshead promised last q-con though. :)

That's what I'm waiting for. That, and Quake Live competitions.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Quakecon is next weekend!! We will be making the Austin to Dallas trip on Thursday for the lectures on Friday. Anyone else going, interested in Polycount meet up?

pretty kicks ass schedule on Friday :D

11:00 AM - Grand Ballroom - “Building Blockbusters” panel

* Jason West - Respawn Entertainment
    * Tim Willits - id Software
    * Todd Howard - Bethesda Game Studios
    * Vince Zampella - Respawn Entertainment

1:00 PM - Cortez Room - “Building Immersive Worlds and Stories” panel
    2:00 PM - Grand Ballroom - “Special RAGE Presentation”
    4:00 PM - Cortez Room - “Let There Be Sound” panel
    5:00 PM - Cortez Room - “The Art of the Game” panel

http://news.quakecon.org/post/881677083
  • drakino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drakino polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be up there sometime late Friday just as a weekend trip. Somewhat disappointed I'll miss a lot of the good talks, but oh well.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    There will be a Brink hands-on demo at Quakecon!

http://www.splashdamage.com/content/brink-be-playable-quakecon-2010

I think a few Splash Damage senior folks will be giving talks, too, if I remember right.