Home General Discussion

Travelling to Austria, Czechia, Hungary, Slovenia and Croatia, tips needed!

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
I will be going on a little road trip with 2 friends of mine in a week. We will travel by car from Holland trough Germany to Prague(Praha), then to Vienna(Wenen), then to Budapest, and finally trough Slovenia to Croatia.

Of course, all the places mentioned above are the places we THINK are cool, but if you know anything better like a city/sight/activity closeby let me know!

Basically I would love to hear some cool experiences or tips you guys might have!
We'd also like to go mountainbiking or rafting in one of the countries mentioned, but were not sure yet which one. Also, we have no idea on where to go in Croatia :D

On our way back we will also visit Venetia, Switzerland and France, but we've all been there before so I dont think we need any tips for those places :p

Sooooo.. if anybody has any advice or cool tips on what (not) to do I'd be very thankfull! :p

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    in vienna... visit the dome. the nice thing there is that you can go up on one of the bell towers which gives a nice view - imho nicer than from the "riesenrad" / ferris wheel.

Depending how many tourists are around you want to see the "must do's": heldenplatz + hofburg (imperial palace), schoenbrunn (summer palace), kaertnerstrasse (big pedestrian street that leades from the opera to the dome), der graben - big pedestrian street that goes left from kaertnerstrasse, if you come from the opera. Ringstrasse - ring road encircling all the touristy stuff. Rathaus & Burgtheater - town hall and burg theatre.

Prater - sort of a run down theme/entertainment park. The ferris wheel may be interesting...

Naschmarkt is also fun - it's one of europe's finest delicacy markets and has good foods from all over the world. On the weekends there's also a fleamarket. It's pretty centrally located. The Secession should be close - a nice piece of art deco architecture.

If it rains, there's plenty of museums - e.g. Kunsthistorisches Museum (located in an old palace), Albertina (modern art, near the opera), Museumsquartier - modern and 19th century art of austrian artists (I recommend this over the others).

Zentralfriedhof - if you want to do something out of the ordinary. Europes biggest cemetary. It feels like a (little bit morbid) big park. nice to stroll, lots of trees. Lots of famous dead people there. Some people regard this as insider tip to visit.

Burg Kreuzenstein - damn cool castle. pretty close to vienna. interesting if you're into medieval stuff. It was built by the austrian emperor who's regarded as "the last knight". He took architecture from all places he liked and built his "dream castle". Older and less kitschy than Neuschwanstein in Germany.

Best google all the stuff - you should come up with some pictures or articles that tell you more about each.