Home General Discussion

Lack of Fantasy RTS

Hello all. Nice and short, I've just got into RTS as my main genre of gaming now but I'm noticing some weird things while looking back at the classics.

Firstly, I'm noticing that most RTS today are doing a sort of RPG hero stat hybrid. I'm looking for a game that is, what I call, a "real rts", resource building, buildings, mustering an army. I thot that this was the ultimate term for an RTS but I'm seeing alot of hybrids and even some turn based mechanics.
Where do you need to look for the resource building stuff? Isn't that what an RTS should be?

Secondly, more importantly, I'm a HUGE fantasy fan, LOTR, Warhammer,ect. I basically really dislike Sci-Fi and Modern stuff. I will not go near Company of Heros even tho it is supposed to be good. I love warbands, dragons, magic, swords of flame....all that sort of nerdy stuff.

But I've just noticed that all of the fantasy RTS have actually stopped since 2006. BFEM2, Mark of Chaos, games like this were all released around 2006. Can somone please recommend a game that is very fantasy based that isn't the two Dota remakes Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends? I seriously tried to think hard about one and I couldn't.

Just until a week ago I was a mixed gamer, I'd play anything on PC. But I just realised how much I love the RTS genre and am kinda dedicated my gaming life to it now altho I have only played tiny demos. The only real sort of RTS I own and have completed is Dawn of War II and right now I've just bought, from Steam, Rome: Total War. I was born in '93 and I've only really just got into RTS so I'm having to download all of the old games.

Again, I'm looking for an RTS with real resource managment, base building. What I'd call a real rts.

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Starcraft and Starcraft II although you say you hate Sci-Fi. You could just play Zerg though and pretend you're in some ancient slimy dragon lair!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol thats definitley a good idea ;)
    I'm gonna get SC II for sure, even if the campaign is full of space marines. My main beef with sci fi/modern is that there is actually too much off it and gets a little boring. I'm more about Sheilds, Swords, Honor and Strength ;P
    I may get the original Starcraft.
    I wish I was born in the 80's! lol
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Rome is great, been playing it myself of late. Apparently this LotR mod for Medieval II is pretty huge:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/third-age-total-war
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    The warlords series. :)
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Can you guys tell me about tactical map display type games? I've purchased the original dawn of war years ago but never completed it for some reason. Thats the kind of game I'm looking for in a fantasy setting. Just spawning, building troops/soldiers, plopping down buildings - awesome stuff - If you look at Rome : Total Wars map display tactical section would you say that this style of RTS is the ORGININAL recipe for an RTS? To me I think it'd be like warcraft III with real time battles and stuff.

I'm not sure what the term is called but it's a map you see in most RTS which you can end your turn - I think is saw 'risk-take' or 'risk-map' or something.
    Which dominates? That sort of map thing of WarcraftIII/Dawn of War I gameplay.

Hopefully you guys know what I'm talking about..

Kinda like Rome Total War vs BFME2 skirmishes
    I MUCH prefer the BFME2 gameplay and thats my definition of an RTS
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet!! I'm looking into Kings And Castles :D
    Can anyone find a good gameplay video of it?

Is it resource building, warcraft style/dawn of war original game play style?

That'd be brilliant!!
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    The turn-based world map side to Total War and (to a much lesser extent) DoW2 or whatever is reminiscent of the Civilization series; it is turn-based strategy. Like the board game, Risk. It sounds like you are more a fan of realtime basebuilding and unit control? If you ask me, that is classic RTS, present in any Warcraft or Starcraft title.

No-building-required realtime strategy such as Company of Heroes or Dawn of War is kind of a new form of RTS. Particularly with the use of destructible and interactive environments, they've bred a whole new sort of play - that isn't based around efficient base building and resource micromanagement. Instead, it's becoming based on strategic placement of units, as in real battle strategy rather than mere efficiency and numbers. That is why I like the Total War series - it has a detailed nationbuilding side while still providing realtime battles.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, yeah, you are correct about that. I just wasn't saying it right. I'm more of a fan of unit control and real time base building. I wouldn't say DoW II is turn based, why would you say that?

Little question : Would you guys kind of agree that it feels like the real time base building, unti control of the likes of Warcraft and Dawn of war 1 is dissapearing? I never realised it until now but most RTS have that sort of tactical gameplay map thing which I kind of dislike.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BFMEII and Rise of Legends are the only rts' that have held my intereset long enough to play through (sp anyway).

BFMEII was pretty fun but a little short.
    Rise of Legends was awesome. I don't know if it was just that I found the art style so captivating or what but I would highly recomend this game.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    myth 2: soulblighter was fecking radical... there's no resource gathering or structure building, but it's hard to beat when it comes to fantasy real time strategy. Reminds you that bungie used to make games that didn't start with the word "halo"
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I'll look into all these games.
    Also, as another refrence I used to play, as a multiplayer demo, tiberium wars for the 360 and altho it's sci fi thats also what I'm looking for. Again, real time building, spawning vehicles ect (in the case of Tiberium)
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But thats how an RTS should be. Resource gather, making buildings. Look at recent RTS's like Dawn of War II it's almost a sci fi Diablo 3. It's more RPG then RTS.

I refuse to believe that the real rts formula will go away. It can't.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armies-of-exigo-20041215005215319.jpg

Was looking at Armies of Exigo and thats how RTS' should be.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    AGE of EMPIRES series!
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rise of nations
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    I really really hope that the old RTS genre isnt dead and that all new RTS games will be more like DoW2/WiC etc! IMO DoW 1 is 10 times more fun then DoW2.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    why did it take so long for people to say age of empires? seriously... best one out there! although, do you progress through the ages, so eventually you get to sci fi, but you can create games that have an age cap so you cant get that far into modern day. but seriously, check it out if you like medieval stuff
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    im rather sure that there will be more "classical" rts games with new arts and stuff once people figure out that there havnt been many in a while and want to make a bit of money off the hardcore rts crowd.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Master of Magic was pretty awesome back in the day if you can find a way to check that one out. Bit like Might and Magic and Master of Orion.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Try Overlord.

:D

Age of Mythology just can't be topped. That game is just perfect.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    league of legends. sorta falls into rts.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    If you like turn-based strategy games even just a little bit, I'd strongly recommend King's Bounty: The Legend. Excellent turn-based combat, interesting RPG elements, really wide variety of troop types (including undead and mythical creatures) and overall really addictive. Standard fantasy stuff, but the combat really is great, especially when you start accessing higher-level spells and start summoning rage spirits.

battlelord.jpg

Be warned, though - even on normal, it's very hard.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    leage of legends isnt anywhere close to what he wants brandon. lol. he wants resource gathering and building and that sorda stuff. just cause it was inspired from a game that was created using a RTS level editor doesnt make it a RTS :P
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Something wrong with Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne? Just get that, good game with huge community, it got everything you are looking for.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're going to have much more luck with that in turnbased strategy, I'm afraid! As a genre it really embraces fantasy.