Home Technical Talk

Disable Tablet PC input options on Windows 7?

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
OK, this is starting to get annoying...

I installed Windows 7 last weekend on my new computer, after using WinXP for the past however many years, and all this "Tablet PC" crap is getting in my way!

Every time I click my Wacom pen, it does this annoying little circular progress bar around it when I click and hold, and every time I hold a key like SHIFT or CTRL it shows that on the screen next to the cursor.

Now, I've already done the following:
  1. Turned off all the Tablet PC and accessibility stuff in the Control Panel. Didn't make a difference.
  2. So next, I uninstalled the "Tablet PC Components" from the Add/Remove Windows Features area in Control Panel, and I thought this would get rid of it for good. Of course not, that would be too easy.
  3. I went into the Services settings and manually set the "Tablet PC Input Service" to "Disabled" and "Never start". This appeared to fix the issue at the time, all the silly click-action stuff went away and I was happy. BUT IT HAS RETURNED.
I've checked the Services settings again to make sure it hadn't come back, and no, it's still turned off! So where the hell is this stuff coming from and how can I disable it forever?!

Replies

• willy-wilson
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    i just did it like i did in vista but i had to restart a couple times before it actually went away
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I never used Vista, can you tell me what you did there? I thought it was just disabling the Tablet PC stuff which should sort it.
  • robioto
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    Turn off the settings in

1. pen and touch and
    2. tablet pc control panels

In the Pen and Touch panel click on the "Flicks" tab and uncheck the box at the top that says "Use flicks to perform...."

Also uncheck the box at the bottom that says "Display flicks icon..."

click apply!

If there are settings to disable in the tablet pc control panel you can shut those down too, but the pen and touch crap was causing me the most pain, turning it off also seemed to disable the tablet pc control panel so maybe you can kill two birds with one stone there.

edit:
    (Good God Mop, I just noticed your 10k post count, holy shit!)
  • independ-hans
    Offline / Send Message
    independ-hans polycounter lvl 13
    I have the same issue, the display ctr. etc it´s ok but, but the function if drag the pen fast up and down the come the tablet writing window in right in middle of my face.

-vista x64
  • jtravers
    control panel -> view local services -> disable Tablet PC Input Service

Also I went into the properties, and turned Startup Type -> Disabled.

That annoying circular thing went away.

I am using windows 7 64bit home premium

edit: Looks like I turned pen flicks off and that annoying desktop panel also in my quest to be rid of the ring.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Whoever came up with that crap should be shot and their corpse burned in an incredibly hot fire.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    jtravers wrote: »
    control panel -> view local services -> disable Tablet PC Input Service

Also I went into the properties, and turned Startup Type -> Disabled.

That annoying circular thing went away.

I am using windows 7 64bit home premium

edit: Looks like I turned pen flicks off and that annoying desktop panel also in my quest to be rid of the ring.

Yep, this is exactly what I've done. I've turned off all Flicks, all the Tablet PC stuff I can find in every section of the Control Panel, and disabled the service (and turned it's startup type to disabled). It even says it's disabled right now, and it's still displaying the bloody tablet PC stuff... gah!

Slum, I agree :)
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I did the same as jtravers in both Vista and 7. Disabling the "TabletInputService" service works for me. It should work for everyone.

This is a dumb question, but did you restart after making the changes to the services? If you stopped and disabled the service without restarting I guess it could still be running the process?
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi,
    you also need to uninstall everything tabletpc / virtual ink related in the 'programs and features' category from the control panel (I suspect they kept that name from Vista. Used to be the classic 'add and remove programs')

But wait

ISNT WINDAUWZ SEVENZ FIXING EVERYTHING?

:P

Good luck with all that man, it's a pain in the ass.
  • Hardboiled
    Offline / Send Message
    Hardboiled polycounter lvl 13
    You can disable the tablet service as mentioned and it should remove all of these issues. However it may interfere with accessing windows dialog boxes in some applications. If this is the case, these steps will also disable the most annoying bits in a more surgical manner.

Issue #1: Every pen click produces a gray splash/ripple animation around the cursor
    1. Open Local Group Policy Click the Start button , in the Run field type: gpedit.msc and hit enter
    2. Navigate to User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Tablet PC - Cursors
    3. Right click on Turn off pen feedback
    4. Select Enabled, Click Apply

Issue #2: Photoshop will lag when you try to use your pen pressure to drive a feature such as fade. Pressing down too long will launch the right click menu.
    1. Click the Start button , click Control Panel, then click Hardware and Sound
    2. click Pen and Touch
    3. Highlight Press and hold, then click settings….
    4. Uncheck the Enable press and hold right-clicking

Issue #3: A handwriting dialog appears on the edge of the screen when using the tablet
    1. Click the Start button , click Control Panel,
    2. click Programs
    3. click Turn Windows features on or off.
    4. Uncheck Tablet PC Components
    5. Restart
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Hi,
    you also need to uninstall everything tabletpc / virtual ink related in the 'programs and features' category from the control panel (I suspect they kept that name from Vista. Used to be the classic 'add and remove programs')

But wait

ISNT WINDAUWZ SEVENZ FIXING EVERYTHING?

:P

Good luck with all that man, it's a pain in the ass.

Face it pior, your going to end u p becoming a bitter old OS hater who uses a stripped down version of linux. ;)

(Thanks Hardboiled for the instructions)
  • robioto
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    Pior is hardcore with his frozen os install on every reboot that seems more attractive every day.

I don't remember messing with services, I just turned off that pen flicks shit and the stupid circle thing went away, so did the annoying pen tab.

Windows wouldn't be windows if they didn't include something really annoying in every os iteration but FFS come on. If only they could translate the consistency with which they pump out turds every other version to the actual development of the os itself.

They keep relabeling control panels and shit, it took me a while to find display settings in vista because they changed it to personalization, then they change add remove program to programs and settings, why can't they just make this shit simple? So irritating but no way will I buy a mac again (well I don't think, maybe if I get pissed enough I might change my mind).

Thanks for the detailed breakdown HB
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah it's not so hard to disable, it's only half the stuff I had to do in Vista anyway. I guess MoP just didn't expect it, coming from XP.
  • frubes
    i disabled this and it caused no end of crashes in zbrush and photoshop. The moment i turned it back on everything worked hunky dory.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, no, I did expect it since I saw several threads on this subject when Vista came out and everyone wanted to know how to turn off the Tablet PC stuff, so I thought it'd be pretty straightforward. In fact it even seemed that way since the first time I turned it off and restarted, it all seemed to be fixed.

I have a sneaking suspicion that some recent changes I did to my "Windows Theme" (re-enabled Aero, changed background wallpaper etc.) may have sneakily turned the Tablet PC stuff back on.

Issue #1 on Hardboiled's list is what my problem is, so I will double-check that setting tonight when I get home.

Per, I agree - I even thought it was pretty easy once I had rebooted to remove the thing that Pior mentioned - it was working fine! I just wasn't expecting something as mundane as a Windows theme change to actually turn that stuff back on, it seems to me that those things should be completely unrelated.

Aside from this one issue, Windows 7 has been great. I haven't had any trouble with software or compatibility, and it's all running nice and smooth. Just the bloody tablet stuff, and the fact there seems to be about 5 different places in Control Panel where you can turn various parts of that stuff on or off :)
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, I'm too used to hitting Win Key + R and typing calc, but yeah, I've been using that method too, it's basically like an integrated Launchy, which is nice.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I have to say I like having aero on. The preview windows with alt tab are great when you have things hidden behind other windows. Select the preview, bring it to the front.
  • CompanionCube
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    it would be easier if wacom and other tablet manufactures disabled all that stuff and part of there install?
  • ThomasVeil
    Offline / Send Message
    ThomasVeil polycounter lvl 8
    If you start "Programs and Features" - and then click "Turn Windows features on or off", you'll see an option for Tablet functions. You can uncheck it - and apparently those features get uninstalled.

I had the same problem with disabling the services - it came back after a long time randomly. But I think uninstalling should do the trick. *knockonwood*
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I need to have Aero on :(
    Photoshop chugs like a gimp bitch if I disable it.
  • man_o_mule
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    I hate to resurect an old thread but i ran into these problems recently too. Just installed Win 7 and thanks to this thread i fixed most of my problems. I am still running into 2 pretty nasty issues though.

1.) every time i open photoshop it changes the mapping of my tablet to only cover about 2/3 of the screen. needless to say this is NOT usuable. I can't even get over to the layers panel.

2.) I use my wacom in MAX 2010 and i change side buttons on the pen to be middle and right click. when i middle click it causes the screen to jump off to the side a bit so now the view panning and view rotating dont work. This might be a win 7 / wacom/ or 2010 issue. not sure which as i was using max 9 before i installed win 7.

anyways. i'm going to try reinstalling drivers one more time, but if anyone knows any kind of fixes for these problems it would be much appreciated.
  • man_o_mule
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    aha, after almost 3 hours of screwing around i figured it out. apparently wacom introduced some new thing in the latest win 7 drivers to make it so the drivers don't "conflict" with the tablet pc crap in windows. problem is that these "fixes" cause photoshop and max to behave stupidly and eff up your day.

so i just installed the older drivers from the site and all is well again. YAY!!!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I never had this problem before reformatting recently. For some reason, my damn right-click on the pen refuses to work in a bunch of apps, like 3dsmax. It's infuriating! I can't figure it out. I've tried disabling the wacom HID virtual mouse, disabling all pen/tablet services in vista, etc - nothing works!
    It was working fine before the format - this is making me insane. Perhaps I'll try an older wacom driver or something.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    maybe you assigned a specific preset in the wacom panel? You can make special ones per app - it happened to me before, changing a setting for Photoshop but forgetting to port that change over to the 'all programs' group...
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    ^
    What he said. Either that, or you could try installing the latest tablet driver.
  • Michael Knubben
    Man o mule: I actually had issues with that in Xp and Vista too, where Wacom settings just wouldn't stick in Photoshop untill a reboot. And Wacom Drivers are getting worse and worse with passing time.
  • airbrush
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    I just did this last week as my new machine has windows 7 and this so called "feature" makes it impossible to work. Of course, windows buries this...
    Here is how you turn it off:

Open Local Group Policy Editor. It is quite hidden - search for it in
    Windows Start menu or in Control panel - use the search box as I have not
    found the shortcut for it. Alternatively you can run gpedit from command
    line (not from Run in Start menu).

Navigate to User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows
    Components - Tablet PC - Cursor.

Enable the Turn off pen feedback setting.
  • jipe
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their hints; I just upgraded from XP to 7 and it's nice to have my Wacom working like it should. Everything else about 7 seems pretty gravy, though...
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    the newest wacom drivers were dropping pressure sensitivity randomly in win7 x64, so I reverted back to driver 605-7 (intuos2) and its working flawlessly now.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Hey old thread but I am also having the problem with the silly little ripple effect on every click. I tried to follow the steps to go into gpedit.msc to fix it but apparently gpedit.msc is not available in Win 7 Home.

Dose anyone know how to edit registry files to get this super annoying circle thing to go away? Or another way around this problem?

I also have the problem that when I right click I get this circle that just pops up where ever I right click. Turns blue and then goes away. Very annoying as it pops up every time I right click.

Already did all the disabling and turning off pen click stuff but it still shows up. Had this same blue circle problem in Vista but cant remember how to turn it off. If anyone knows that would be awesome.
  • CompanionCube
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    look at the this thread http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/11375-wacom-tablet-ring-round-pen-cursor-4.html

hope it helps, i just wish future updates of the wacom drivers did all this stuff for us.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    OMG I love you! Thanks so much.

For anyone else with Win 7 Home. Go to Control Panel > Systems and Security > Administrative Tools > Services and you have to Stop Table Pc Input Services. Then right click on it, select Properties and Disable Automatic start up.
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    So, thought I would post a solution to a problem I was having with this:

I had been using the new Bamboo Pen for over a year in Windows 7 Home and had disabled the Tablet PC Input like has been mentioned in this thread, and all over other forums. Circle animations went, worked fine, no problem.

I recently upgraded and got an Intuos3 A5 Wide. Installed the latest drivers for it, and made sure the Tablet PC Input was disabled again. All worked fine, tested it in Photoshop etc. BUT as soon as I opened 3D Studio Max 2010, the circular animation returned, and this also removed my assignments to the buttons on the pen turning the buttons into standard click. Very annoying. This was a problem exclusive to 3D Studio Max 2010. As soon as I minimized it and went into Photoshop, or to the desktop, the pen would act as normal again. Maximize Max and the problem returned.

After going through all the processes mentioned in this thread (and others), rebooting many times and generally fiddling about, I couldn't get rid of the problem in Max 2010. Eventually decided to start trying older Wacom drivers, and amazingly the oldest one (version 612-5) on the Wacom website worked! No more annoying animation and interference in Max 2010.

So not sure why the latest drivers weren't removing the problem for Max 2010, but there you go.
  • Arcanox
    Some of the stuff mentioned in this thread helped, like disabling the process. It only worked temporarily until I opened Max. What finally killed it for me was:

1- Uninstalling Tablet PC Components (It should be under Add/Remove Windows Components)

2- Go into the device manager and look under Human Interface Devices, find the Wacom Virtual HID Driver, and disable it

You likely have to stop the process and disable it under the services options as well.
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Arcanox wrote: »
    2- Go into the device manager and look under Human Interface Devices, find the Wacom Virtual HID Driver, and disable it

Hmmmm. I did do all the rest, but never seen or tried that one before.
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Did you try my little script here?
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1114083/TabletPCbeGentle.bat

With this you can disable all related stuff without deleting stuff, because some programs depend on it(like silverlight somehow uses it don´t know why)
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope. But as I said I got it fixed in the end by installing an older driver. Good to know there are even more things for people to try.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Yea older works for me too but I have to sometimes restart the pc twice to get It going and my startup lags because I have to use an older driver, It sucks but It works. win7 x64
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    I use the newest wacom drivers + my little script and now animations whatsoever, just try it. I got rid of all tablet related problems that way.
    (I have to test the newest drivers with photoshop though because the previous one made the pressure sensitivity go wild somehow, but that wasn´t related to this script just photoshop not liking this particular driver, because in the diagnostics of wacom everythink worked as expected)
  • Arcanox
    SpeCter wrote: »
    I use the newest wacom drivers + my little script and now animations whatsoever, just try it. I got rid of all tablet related problems that way.
    (I have to test the newest drivers with photoshop though because the previous one made the pressure sensitivity go wild somehow, but that wasn´t related to this script just photoshop not liking this particular driver, because in the diagnostics of wacom everythink worked as expected)

Just throwing this out there, but do you also use Zbrush?

I'm having an issue with my Intuous 3 and the Adjust Size/Intensity/Focal Shift plugin. I like to have my Size setup for the right click button on the pen, and you hold it and drag to adjust the size. For some reason it only picks up one key stroke and doesn't allow you drag to adjust the size. It only picks up the keypress, but not the holding behavior for the keybind associated with it.

Everything else works perfectly, and I don't have any sort of conflicts. I'm also using the latest driver (but not your script).
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I use Zbrush and i also have a Intuos3 A4, but i don´t know this Adjust Size thing you are mentioning, could you give me a link to that?

Edit: Nevermind, found it and don´t know how exactly it works, but why do you want to map it to a specific key if the normal keymapping pops up every slider?

Or is it supposed to work like in mudbox where you press b slide up and down(left to right respectively) to adjust the size without clicking and holding the slider`?

Edit2: Ok got it working, but the flickering is nasty and you can´t map right mouse button to it it seams(at least to me, it doesn´t even work with mouse for me)
  • bisse123
    old thread, but just wanted to thank SpeCter. The script worked like a charm.
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy to hear that :)
  • BimC
    First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone for their input.

I have followed all previous suggestions and run Specter's script and everything works fine, even when I start 3DS Max 2012.

But! When I touch my Logitech mouse all my Wacom settings are ignored and the ripple effect returns when I use my pen...

Quitting 3DS Max makes every normal again.

Funny stuff :)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Best
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    BimC wrote: »
    First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone for their input.

I have followed all previous suggestions and run Specter's script and everything works fine, even when I start 3DS Max 2012.

But! When I touch my Logitech mouse all my Wacom settings are ignored and the ripple effect returns when I use my pen...

Quitting 3DS Max makes every normal again.

Funny stuff :)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Best

Does your mouse have some special drivers which could interfere?
    Maybe it´s enabling wisptis again?
  • BimC
    I must admit that I am not aware of it nor where I can turn "wisptis" off.

The mouse I use a MX620 Cordless Laser Mouse.

The driver is version 5.33.10.0

Windows Home Premium

It has come to my attention that some of the suggestions previously described is for Windows Pro and therefore, are not accessible in Windows Home Premium that I use. Among them "gpedit" ... and maybe also "wisptis"
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    wisptis is the tablet service of windows which is one of the responsible things for the annoying parts of the tablet features.
    It could be that it gets restarted because of your mouse.
  • FrankWeber
    MoP wrote: »
    OK, this is starting to get annoying...

I installed Windows 7 last weekend on my new computer, after using WinXP for the past however many years, and all this "Tablet PC" crap is getting in my way!

Every time I click my Wacom pen, it does this annoying little circular progress bar around it when I click and hold, and every time I hold a key like SHIFT or CTRL it shows that on the screen next to the cursor.

Now, I've already done the following:

1. Turned off all the tablets PC and accessibility stuff in the Control Panel. Didn't make a difference.
    2. So next, I uninstalled the "Tablet PC Components" from the Add/Remove Windows Features area in Control Panel, and I thought this would get rid of it for good. Of course not, that would be too easy.
    3. I went into the Services settings and manually set the "Tablet PC Input Service" to "Disabled" and "Never start". This appeared to fix the issue at the time, all the silly click-action stuff went away and I was happy. BUT IT HAS RETURNED.
    I've checked the Services settings again to make sure it hadn't come back, and no, it's still turned off! So where the hell is this stuff coming from and how can I disable it forever?![/quote]

These tablets does get annoying sometimes. Which is the most annoying aspect you guys feel in Galaxy tabs?
  • ikken
    fyi, wacom updated their drivers for intuos and cintiq models which finally allow disabling windows tablet add-ons ( look under "mapping" tab for your tablet pen options in the driver settings)
    windows download link
    mac os download link (less relevant, but leaving it just in case)
  • Purple
    Just had to uninstall/restart and download the Dock again because mine wouldn't even open when I drew in the little space. I don't know what it'll be like for anyone else, I have Windows8.1 and the newest version of the Dock(4.1 I think?) but it kind of hides the option to turn off the weird, crappy settings.

This is how I fixed it: Open Dock>Click the Options Cog>My Tablet>Pen Tablet Properties>Pen>Go to Tracking area and make sure the "Pen Mode" box it ticked>Click "Mapping...">Un-Tick the "Use Windows Ink" box>Enjoy!

I wasn't sure if the problem had been resolved or not, or if people were in the same situation I am, struggling to disable windows "Flicks". I'll leave by saying Google is your friend! It loves you and wants to help! If what I did doesn't work, ask your good friend Google about it!