Home Technical Talk

Texture Creation: Packing more into each pixel

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
Alright. I have been texuring for some time. And I guess I am in need to a refresher or good base tutorial.

I am working on a dumpster, and while doing so I ran into this:

Dumpster___Textured_04_by_okoRobo.jpg

Dumpster___Texture_Sheet_03_by_okoRobo.jpg

Where did this guy learn to cram so much detail into each pixel. My texture was looking alright, but the more I stare at his he seems to be making -every- pixel go to work for him. micro scratches and tiny leaks. There just must be something I am not getting, perhaps even on a fundamental level. I guess it's time to relearn how to do this crap.

I'll post mine so I can learn and be ripped a new one alike :| I haven't started in on the grey areas yet.

WIP_029.jpg
WIP_028.jpg

/discouraged

Replies

• 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, the most obvious problem is that your texture is just plain blurry. like you took a 512 texture and blew it up to 1024. start with higher res sources for your texture creation.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Well for starters, those textures are not his ingame textures, but a scaled down version. Notice how you can read the 'DANGER' sticker's subtext on the model, but not on the flats?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Looks blurry, I see a noise filter. No depth or detail to the work at all. Your colors are all over the place and since it's blurred, it just looks like a mess. Break down the process and start from scratch.

The title of your thread is the solution to your problem. And you answered your own question: Don't be intimidated to go in and spend time with a tiny brush and add scratches/detail.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Snader wrote: »
    Well for starters, those textures are not his ingame textures, but a scaled down version. Notice how you can read the 'DANGER' sticker's subtext on the model, but not on the flats?

yeah that's a 2k texture for a dumpster.. pretty ridiculous
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. Yes. In my discouragement I -did- blow up my texture. I then applied so sharpness to it and it did nothing to help.

2. When you bring in textures for overlays do you sharpen them before applying them?

3. "depth or detail"; I get detail, what do you mean by depth?
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    00Zero and Bram, you guys are paragons of what I aspire to; other than many, many, hours of practice; what are some of the best texture resources you used when learning (tutorials ect...).

I may just have blown a gasket today and become so dismayed that I don't feel I know what I am doing anymore. :|
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If 2048 is rediculous for a dumpster, then what about 1024. I model everything in inches, and consider a 512x512 good for about 8ft x 8ft, so maybe 1024 isn't so bad for this dumpster since we would be talking cubic feet.

I think my original 512 was a little too low, and thus looked bad. I may give this another shot soon.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    upscaling is what made it look horrible. You can always try working in a higher resolution and down scale.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *facepalm* at ZacD's comment.

I dunno why I hadn't thought of that.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Another crit on that guys sheet would be no room for texture bleed. He needs some more space around his island for when the texture is mip mapped.
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    As most people say it could have been made at a lower resolution without looking any different. If you use any photos I think it's a good rule to never use photos smaller than the texture itself (or the part you are using it on), in fact I always try to scale stuff down to half the size.
  • NinthJake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to take a look at this tutorial. It is just about exactly what you want to archive.
    http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3ds-max/how-to-create-a-video-game-dumpster-the-complete-current-gen-workflow/
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NinthJake,

I am going to watch the texturing portion of all that I hope I -don't- learn anything. I am feeling pretty incompetent now and doubting my own abilities, but I may just need rebake my normals an AO at 1024 and start over.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, while I have got you all here, let me ask you a related question. Specularity. White is shiny, black is not. Also it can have color...

What dogma leads to people choosing the colors they do. Some choose odd colors, many choose blue or orange, and some don't color their specs at all. :|

-I- have been deriving my colors from my Diffuse, blurred, and high contrast. I just need to know what others are considering when they do theirs.
  • NinthJake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Specular colors should be chosen depending on the environment you want to place your model in. The colors is the color that is being emitted in the specularity and could be a faking method of color bleed.

And you should look at the whole tutorial, your mesh looks a bit funky as it is now and I would suggest re-making it all over again, that is the fastest learning method anyway.

Also this guy have some pretty awesome tutorials on how to paint realistic metal, it should also be able to help you a bit.
    http://www.racer445.com/
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NinthJake,

As a matter of fact, I did make some changes to the mesh, and to the high-poly as well. Over all I like the shape. If I can find the time, I may just watch them all.

Those other tutorials are great too.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    What dogma leads to people choosing the colors they do. Some choose odd colors, many choose blue or orange, and some don't color their specs at all. :|

Usually the ones who don't color their spec maps are programmers, lazy, or can't due to engine constraints (source engine in particular comes to mind.)

Specular colors are crucial for defining materials. Lets say for instance you have 3 kinds of metal on your item. On your spec you could make one of them yellowed, one blued, and the other a green. This will help separate them from each other. DO NOT just make everything lazily blue!

example:

3maps.jpg

Sometimes spec colors need to be extreme to sell materials. These rounds are a good example.

1shell.jpg

Something I was taught recently was that dark diffuse + bright spec makes things look shinier than what most people tend to do (bright diffuse and bright spec.) Someone even showed me an example where the diffuse was almost pitch black and the specular was doing all the work, and it looked great!

On that note, specular also needs to have its own detail that only shows up in the light. This is important to make your materials more dynamic. This this example, the shots on the left have no light on them and thus look fairly flat, while the shots on the right have light on them and you can see a good amount of unique detail appearing. The above shot of the texture map also shows some of the actual detail.

2spec.jpg

The key to metal is to KEEP IT SMOOTH! So many people just lazily throw 1000 overlays on it and call done without thinking how metal acts in the real world. Those people cant use speed as an excuse either, because adding all those overlays take more time than just picking a few really good looking details and using those. Less really is more in this case.

I hope this helps you understand proper specular usage for metals more.

ps: gloss is amazing too, but lots of times we dont have the budget for it. usually people just do flat color values, but in practice it can be so much more...

4gloss.jpg
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Specular colour has nothing to do with colour bleeding or your environment they are specific to the material you are describing. Specular maps describe how reflective a surface is at any given pixel.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think coloured spec is always necessary imo. Since spec is cheap way of doing reflection, it totally depends on the lighting and environment the model is in.
  • NinthJake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Specular colour has nothing to do with colour bleeding or your environment they are specific to the material you are describing. Specular maps describe how reflective a surface is at any given pixel.
    A guy I know used spec maps for faking something in a test game he made, I think it was color bleed but I may be wrong then.

EDIT: It may have been environment lighting or something like that.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    I could see faking some sort of self reflection on an object but anything from the "environment" should be avoided. It limits reusing in multiple environments. Plus it helps to start understanding specularity and reflectivity as a function of the material not the scene.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark wrote: »
    I don't think coloured spec is always necessary imo. Since spec is cheap way of doing reflection, it totally depends on the lighting and environment the model is in.

I don't know if I am being nit picky here or just reading wrong, but I don't cosider specularity related to reflectivity in any way other than just how reflective the object may be. True, specular is the feedback of light off the model given a direction, but you can't really get the real specular of an object through reflectivity, and you can't do the vice versa either. I hope I make sense.

one thing that comes to mind is like, gray trash cans of plastic that tend to be stretch cast or blown, resulting in artifacts that are visible usually only in light. These in a cloudy day or in shadows can look dull or solid with no specular (barely), while on a sunny day, and facing the right directions (more to specular than directional, but bear with me) you will see the grooves and scrapes of the plastic shining a different pattern than you see beyond the specular (or in a cloudy day with the can in the shadows)

Specular is used with the purpose of showing how hard or soft/matte the surface of an object is, true, very matte things don't reflect, but the reflection is still separate phenomenon, or only related, not the same, and definitely not a way to fake reflections. Hope this helps.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Specular is an aproximation of point light reflections(were doing it with math not shooting rays). It doesnt cover the whole content of the scene other than the lights but it is reflection. If you had full scene reflections it would still be run through the same Gloss/Spec maps.

Boths shots, 1 photometric area light, shape visible to renderer.
    Phong Shader, no raytraced reflections, specular on.
    specular_no_reflection.png
    Phong Shader, Reflections enabled, specular off.
    Raytraced_no_spec.png

Notice both has the same specular hotspots

NinthJake: it may have been cubemaps he used. that would make sense
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    er, i think some people here might be totally misinformed. Yes the reflection needs to have influence from the surrounding world, but not everything is a mirror. Different objects absorb and reflect/refract different wavelengths by their intrinsic qualities, and this is what we represent with coloured spec.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    What Harry says above me is absolutely true, but r_fletch_r is making a very valid point. This common voodoo belief-system people seem to have about spec being unrelated or different than reflection, physically, is utter bullshit.

Spec helps us fake awesome reflections. Games don't have awesome reflections right now, they have cubemap reflections & spec. If you had awesome reflections, you could control intrinsic properties of how light is absorbed, reflected&refracted, surface roughness & light diffusion, and many other things.

But, in general, we don't do that. We make generalities about how it is very reflective and mirror-like and it gets cubemaps, or its rough and not mirror-like and we use spec & gloss to fake it. we can talk for hours about the subtleties and techniques we can use to make these two cheap methods very convincing, but the bottom line is that SPEC IS FAKE GUYS. accept it.

And furthermore learn to understand it because a lot of people use spec & reflections in inordinate proportion, and the same is true with glossiness & reflections. Learning how this stuff really works, in real life, will help you make your materials more convincing.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we use cubemap reflections for our stuff. so our spec controls how reflective something is. if you turn the spec way down, it cuts out a lot of the reflection but the sun or strong light source is still visible to a certain degree since its emitting more light than the light that bounces off other objects. i dont like how people seperate the specular highlight and reflections. its the same thing. sometimes you only see that specular highlight because the material isnt reflective enough to reflect the entire environment, just the strongest light source.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    00Zero wrote: »
    i dont like how people seperate the specular highlight and reflections. its the same thing.

I don't either and you're absolutely right. Most of the time it seems to just be some silly shader requirement.

In some cases (generally wood with coatings or rubber/plastics) you DO need to separate them as those materials pick up a soft diffused white "specular" highlight and thus look bad with much of a cubemap reflection. However, these instances are fairly rare and in many cases you can still get away with using the same map for both.

I really can't wait until realtime raytracing is in place. :P
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :D Realtime RT would be soo damn cool. Intel did some awesome stuff with enemy terriory a while back.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtHDSG2wNho&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I approve this thread. Some nice tips up in this joint.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Pure specularity doesn't exist in reality, though. Everything reflects the environment, even if diffusely. Using blurred cubemaps helps you achieve a far more realistic look on the material.

Granted, if the asset is moving around like a car or character, it can be expensive to resample the cube every frame (or even sample multiple statics, like HL2), but if you pull the perf from somewhere else, it does make a noticeable difference in looks.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark wrote: »

One thing that is very important to note, is that unless you're packing grayscale spec and some other maps(gloss, etc) into other channels, you'll receive absolutely no performance benifit over color spec.

8 Bit grayscale spec maps can not be compressed, so they end up being the same size in memory as a full color texture. So unless you're doing something weird to optimize, or using uncompressed textures, there generally is absolutely no reason *not* to use colored spec.

Not to mention that subtle or even extreme color differences is a great way to sell different material types.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago:
    Specularity means mirror like, you have a specular or diffuse reflection depending on the surface.(in realtime shaders diffusion is handled by gloss)

u13l1d3.gif

Being a specular reflection in reality has nothing to do with not reflecting the environment. It just means that the reflection is not being heavily diffused Otherwise im totally with you. using cubemaps to simulate ambient light/bleed makes things much more believeable.

This is kind of going off on a tangent though :)
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HaloAnimator polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, i am glad that i found this thread...i am running into the same issue on a character that i have been working on for a while. One of my issues is that i started this model in zbrush and my model is going to have a 2k texture for the head and a 2k texture for his armour set.

The issue i am having is how i want to retain ALL of the detail that i put into the model and keep it looking nice without it looking muddy. I want to start with a 8k texture but that is so stupid and overkill...and this model I want to show it off inside of UE3 (using UDK). What is a good method for this? Could I just have the texture at 4k and scale it in the engine? (also using unity 3d) I don't want to mirror parts of the armour since this is a boss character and want him to have asymmetric damage.

Thanks, you guys are the best.