Home General Discussion

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ralusek polycounter lvl 10
Greatest show or greatest show?

I just wrapped up 6th time watching series, and I'm honestly considering the 7th go right now.

For those of you who might have seen a few episodes and thought it was garbage, I assure you that no group of episodes could give the show justice out of context. I know I certainly had no interest in it from the few scattered episodes that I saw...but once I started it fresh with a buddy, I can honestly say that it has changed my life.

It beats out any game, movie, book, or other show that I have seen, and is really just a great experience.

I will say as a word of caution, the writing on the first few episodes is pretty bad, but there is some important character background in them, and they are necessary to watch. You just have to bear with the awkward humor and you'll soon be right into the meat of the story.

That being said, the movie coming out (The Last Airbender, trailer here: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W1dhqc-JBs[/ame]) is pretty much destined to fail.

I'm not blaming the director, the actors, or even the strange casting choices (i.e. entirely Indian fire nation...), but simply the fact that there is no way to cram 20 episodes into 2 hours and have a satisfactory result.

Anyway, who else enjoyed the show?

Replies

• snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Love the first two Books. Have yet to watch Book 3.

Some very awesome characters in the series.
    Toph is AMAZING!
    Zuko has some real character development going for him, something rare in American cartoons.
    And Uncle is beyond awesome. (RIP Mako. The tribute episode with him remembering his son was very touching.)

Plus one of my fave comic artists, Aaron Alexovich, did some character designs. :D

The Last Airbender movie.... umm... yeah... we'll see.
    (I've had a couple BIG rants about it on this forum and another, wont repeat here ;))
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, on a side note continuing the casting scandal of the movie...I personally thought the whole scandal was embarrassing.

For those of you who don't know, casting director was torn a new asshole for selecting a mostly-Caucasian cast for the movie. This, however, is totally ridiculous when the opposing argument is heard.

The waves of sheep jumping on the bandwagon of complaint were stating that the show bears a heavy asian influence, and all characters should therefore be portrayed by Eastern Asian actors. They even went so far as to say that Americans are so frightened to see anyone who is not whitewash typical caucasian in a leading role, that we are just too uncomfortable with the idea of an asian lead.

If I may jump in, I just think that is absolutely ridiculous. Nobody cares. In an adaptation of a book with description, the character should simply match the description. Nothing more, nothing less. From a show, the adaptation has the additional requirement of meeting an already-existing visual concept. If there is a visual match, then there is suspension of disbelief and a more comfortable experience for the audience.

That being said, the actor's race is totally irrelevant. If they look the part, they are an appropriate match. The only racism to be found in that process was (in this case) to be found on the part of the accusers, who were stating that caucasians were unfit to play roles in this movie. This is foolish not only because they'd completely pidgeonhole the casting director to eastern asians, but because there isn't even anything contextual that suggests the characters were asian at all.

Regardless, as a backlash to all the complaining, the casting director went apeshit and cast the firenation exclusively with an Indian cast. That certainly settled down the accusations of a racist casting director... but lo, the cast now looks absolutely nothing what they're supposed to look like.

anyway, /end rant.

This thread is mainly intended to be about the show, not the movie
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy wrote: »
    Love the first two Books. Have yet to watch Book 3.

Some very awesome characters in the series.
    Toph is AMAZING!
    Zuko has some real character development going for him, something rare in American cartoons.
    And Uncle is beyond awesome. (RIP Mako. The tribute episode with him remembering his son was very touching.)

Plus one of my fave comic artists, Aaron Alexovich, did some character designs. :D

The Last Airbender movie.... umm... yeah... we'll see.
    (I've had a couple BIG rants about it on this forum and another, wont repeat here ;))

yup man, the characters are what make the show. Zukos evolution is just a great reflection of the struggle that happens in all of us. I mean you can take his honor/pride vs. his destiny and use it as a metaphor for any struggle you face, so he's a really great character to connect to.

And yes, Iroh is hands down the greatest character in my opinion. (I maybe cry a little bit at Mako's passing....kind of sort of every time :( )
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i've never watched the toon, tho i have no doubts it may be really good, but as far as the movie, i have little faith in anything shammylammy is involved in nowdays. you know its going to have some stupid twist ending, like, they are al bats or some shit
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    THE BOULDER DOES NOT FIGHT FOR THE MONEY OF PEOPLES ENTERTAINMENT BUT THE FREEDOM OF HIS COUNTRY!
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked the odd bits I saw while my brother ran Nickelodeon 24/7. Was the only bearable cartoon tbh.

I think the problem here is that they are trying to make a cartoon, which for the most part is fairly colourful and lighthearted (although I think it gets darker towards the end), into some epic-like movie. Don't forget that most of the moves and stuff in the cartoon is kinda over-the-top, and when man tries to replicate that kind of thing on the silver screen it just looks ridiculous like Power Rangers.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Really liking that live action movie trailer. Eat that, Cameron!
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    ralusek wrote: »
    but simply the fact that there is no way to cram 20 episodes into 2 hours and have a satisfactory result.

haha ever read a book that became a movie later? ;)
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    whats the problem with the cast?
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the protagonist is terrible
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Is there some longer clips of the movie available?
    I like how hes not looking like yet another McCauleyCulkin / youg Vader / 6th sense kid.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly, I thought the series had a bit of a weak ending. The writers had done a great job of developing the characters and driving the story forward. But when it finally came down to it, they didn't know how to resolve all the various plots properly. There are a few rather obvious plot holes in the last few episodes. Nothing really deal-breaking, but I couldn't help but notice.

Despite this, I would highly recommend the series. It is a bit of a slow starter, but once you get into it, you won't be able to quit.

The ethnicity of the actors in the film doesn't bother me over much. I don't mind some of them being caucasian. It will bother me slightly if almost all of them are caucasian, though. The series presents a world inspired by eastern culture, but with its own diverse ethnicities. Two of the primary protagonists are clearly supposed to be Alutian. (Eskimos) If those characters are cast as a couple of white kids, it would definitely take me out of the experience a little bit.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    The only super long winging story cartoon I could ever put up with was full metal alchemist. They made a decent movie out of that, so maybe this should have been an animated movie?

Another thing to consider is that there are not many english speaking Asian actors in hollywood.
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would like a protagonist which remind me to the original character more and not like him:

http://www.slapyo.com/wp-content/NintendoNerdLord.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone else excited as I am for Keanu supposedly playing Spike Fucking Spiegel in cowboy bebop?
    Anyone?
    D:
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    jimmie, you just made my day... sorry for going off topic, but that bebop movie is going to be so awesome... now they just need to make an outlaw star and the world can end as shhhhhheduled... fanboy.... bah sorry...
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    there is no way to cram 20 episodes into 2 hours and have a satisfactory result

That's why they are making three movies.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/11/05/shyamalan-eager-to-transform-image-with-last-airbender-franchise/
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    There's a live action bebop movie coming? Awesome.
    Fox is doing it? Shitballs.

The problem with airbender's casting was that NONE of the actors looked like good choices for the characters of the show regardless of ethnicity, which was a horrible way to start when the source material is pretty good. Then they reversed all their choices and now we've got a korean guy as the father of an indian guy for a nation of indian people who were primarily influenced by china/japan/korea. This works how? Is it going to be a bunch of indian people pretending to not be indian or are we just completely changing the entire culture to be indian? That's kind of a big freaking change.

There are legitimate reasons to change source material to make a good movie. Completely changing perfectly decent characters is not one of them. That's just marketing and typical hollywood bullshit casting. Is it really so hard to find an asian actor to play a character who looks asian? Seriously.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh wrote: »

20 episodes IS the first movie. there are 61 total i believe, 20 per book and the 3rd is a bit long
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about Bah Sing Se?
    It's based around China's Forbidden City... honestly it would look quite goofy to have a mass of non-Asian actors dressed in Chinese styled clothing in a very Chinese styled city.

I mean seriously... Jasper from Twilight (though I like him) is Sokka... Talk about being far from a dark skinned Alutian. :P

They took a multicultural world and completely homogenized it for the sake of ease. Let's re-cast Shaka Zulu or Seven Samurai with white people while keeping them in their original settings and see what happens. :p
    (That was a joke, calm down.)

It speaks volumes about the current state of Hollywood.

Oh and there was an article on the Bebop movie that said it had to be re-written because it was, and they were serious about this, TOO EPIC.
    "“There’s a draft of the script, but the writer did such a great job [that] in order to make the movie, you would need half a billion dollars,” Reeves told MTV News..."
    http://www.cartoonleap.com/2009/09/23/cowboy-bebop-live-action-movie-needs-rewriting/
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy wrote: »
    What about Bah Sing Se?
    It's based around China's Forbidden City... honestly it would look quite goofy to have a mass of non-Asian actors dressed in Chinese styled clothing in a very Chinese styled city.

I mean seriously... Jasper from Twilight (though I like him) is Sokka... Talk about being far from a dark skinned Alutian. :P

They took a multicultural world and completely homogenized it for the sake of ease. Let's re-cast Shaka Zulu or Seven Samurai with white people while keeping them in their original settings and see what happens. :p
    (That was a joke, calm down.)

It speaks volumes about the current state of Hollywood.

Oh and there was an article on the Bebop movie that said it had to be re-written because it was, and they were serious about this, TOO EPIC.

http://www.cartoonleap.com/2009/09/23/cowboy-bebop-live-action-movie-needs-rewriting/

ya this is the kind of flawed logic to which i'm referring. The jedi knights, are for instance, largely inspired by the samurai. as the connection between the two became clearer, i wouldn't expect the casting of a jedi to become more and more japanese. I would still accept the jedi as a completely separate entity, and simply expect them to meet their physical description.

Now, in regards to you very cliche statement about the state of hollywood, i just don't see the same world you do. people in hollywood are fuckers, sure, and there are plenty of movies that are likely to be as generic as possible (i.e. a romantic comedy is likely to fit this bill). however, fantasy really has no problem branching out. like i said, there is already a multiethnic cast, which was set to shut people like you up...and yet you continue to cry. the result of the multiethnic casting now is that they chose the cast BECAUSE of their race, to combat the "whitewash" accusations.

What they should have done is simply ignored the masses, and looked for people that fit the role.

Zuko, for instance, looked eastern asian. Aang does not. Sokka and katara look northern, sure, but i happen to think rathebone fits pretty well with a tan. Zuko ended up being cast as Asian (Indian) and is a terrible terrible terrible fit. In the show, HE looks eastern asian, as with the majority of his family, and now they are all a bunch of mismatched terrible choices. it's infuriating.

Jesse mccartney was a very strange choice, and not a good one...yet i assume you largely prefer dev patel for zuko. while neither one are at all appropriate matches, mccartney looks infinitely more like zuko, yet people were satisfied with the change to patel because he wasn't caucasian. that is just so racially focused it undermines the purpose of fantasy...and has ultimately destroyed the spirit of what could have been a pretty enjoyable movie
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, but the Jedi do NOT dress or act Japanese or live in Japanese homes, have Japanese mannerisms or culture. The ideas were taken and adapted into something different and fairly original and setting-culture appropriate.

Yes, we may be caught up on race a little much but...
    Avatar is set in a VERY ASIAN world. The race of the actors is the only thing that changed. Nothing else from what I have seen is being changed.
    The clothing, cities, the martial arts and the very concept of the elements and bending are entirely Asian. There are elements present that have cultural meaning, symbology and certain connotations behind them.
    These are still Americans dressing and living in an Asian world.

I wouldn't care if this were someone's original movie, but the fact that it is using established IP and characters of specific ethnic origins and changing them because they possibly could not find Asian actors (bullshit) changes things.

*goes to find his last rant on the subject*

This was in reference to the Dragonball movie:
    I said nothing to the effect of it being Shakespeare. I meant simply that American film studios (and other ventures) change things for no good reason or on the premise that American audiences can't relate to Asian themes/characters. OH NOES WE CAN'T UNDERSTAND FOREIGN!

For me the lowest common denominator is the studio executives that just want to fill their pockets with cash.

Take for example the cinematic masterpiece of Akira and setting it in Manhattan instead of Neo-Tokyo and changing the names of the characters, thus negating one of the most recognized quotes from the movie (TESUOOOOOOOO! KENAAAADAAAAA!) edit: Also see how much relevance the nuclear type threat changes once transposed to an American setting or the 'in production hell' Evangelion movie having it's EVA units made by the US rather than Japan and American pilots. Often times Japanese names for characters have specific meanings, showing you up front if the character is good or evil or even alluding to an established literary hero/villian.

See also the changing of entire story arcs/dialogue or just flat out slashing out anything Japanese because Americans can't understand it or they bring it over to be marketed to children (maintaining the stupid belief that 'cartoons' are only for children), see One Piece (as seen being released in uncut form by Funimation rather than the 4Kids butchery), Cardcaptor Sakura (edited to the point of incoherence before they gave up), Sailor Moon (they are not cousins!! Which also the last season was never aired in the US on account the Sailor Starlights were male singers that changed to female Scouts, when they were alwasy female but took the male singer disguise to better track down their princess, all girls listen to boybands :p ).

It is a very egotistical and naive view. It frankly does not give their audiences any credit at all. It shows a lack of respect for the source material or the culture that produces it. There are many anime out there that are based around help to enforce Japanese culture, themes and history.
    Who, What and WOW! of Japanese Anime is an extremely good book on the subject. Yeah, there are reasons for effeminate boys and big eyes.

As a matter of fact, I think DBZ is a poor example of anime, but still better than a ton of shite that American studios have pumped out...excuse me, contracted Asian studios to pump out.

The story of Dragonball Z is alright, nothing spectacular. Some of the characters are actually interesting and grow, such as Vegeta. There is some pretty decent drama in there (such as when Goku finally goes Super Saiajin when Krllian, his friend from childhood is killed at a whim by Freiza) but overall the entire series could use an editor to cut out 200 episodes worth of recaps and charging sequences.

And yes, were they not just cranking this off in the bathroom for some quick cash, it could indeed make for an interesting movie. I ask of you, how many comic book/video game movies have been changed in major ways and fallen flat on their faces?
    I'm not saying do a 1/1 transfer to film, you can change things and still make them interesting and with respect as to the source, Lord of the Rings and Iron Man for example.

When these type of movies come out, it always feels like another Batman and Robin or Catwoman when with a little bit of effort and care it could come out like Batman Begins, and if we are super lucky with the material landing the right hands, we could end up with The Dark Knight.
    What they should have done is simply ignored the masses, and looked for people that fit the role.
    EXACTLY!
    And they did NOT do this, either time.

Fantasy movies are ALL about casting.
    Good casting can elevate a decent fantasy movie into a really good one. Great casting will make it live forever. Bad casting can take me out of a movie faster than anything (George Clooney, great actor, TERRIBLE Batman).

Take the American Revolution... don't change the story or setting now cast all the main actors with Persians, Nigerians or Native Americans... doesn't fit does it? People are going to look at it and be like "By George, something about this moving picture is a bit queer!"
    Normally, I don't care about changes to a character's race or whatever, UNTIL it is a direct confrontation with the established setting/culture.

The reverse is true too... I have a major problem when a Caucasian character enters into another ethnic culture, learns their ways, becomes one of them (usually in a few days or weeks) and eventually becomes their savior or whatever.

It's one of my pet peeves.

Sure it may still turn out to be a pretty good movie, and I hope it does!... but no one has seen that yet, so we are only left with speculation and surface appearances to debate.

And by George something about this moving picture is a bit queer!
    ;):p
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I love that show so much! Actually just watched 5 episodes that were on TV. And although the movie may not turn out good, I still want to see it. Hell, I really want to see it. Live Action Bending, I mean really.

At any rate, it's good to see I am not the only one who likes the show!
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I'm too culturally sensitive... but I love studying other cultures.
    I've built up a lot of respect for other cultures and tend to get a little worked up at times.
    You should see me with Native American stuff!
    'Kokopeli isn't supposed to have a flute! It's his penis, he's a symbol of fertility!'
    And definitely don't get me going on 'how did ancient cultures build this! type deals'

lol
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all race issue's aside, what everyone really needs to remember is that M. Knight Shammmmamylnionnnon??? is directing it and his last movie had fucking killer tree's.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    hey guys, apparently this movie sucks donkey cock

roger ebert's review: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100630/REVIEWS/100639999

rottentomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/

The only good review on rottentomatoes basically still calls the movie trash.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm waiting to see what 'people I trust' say about this, but it's not looking good so far. Let me know if any of you catch it, because I'm considering it for this weekend.
  • Sisqo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cant say that comments like "Even in 3D, [it's] one-dimensional." make me want to see this.. But it did make me laugh a little.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    The company i work at made the ds game for this :/...

At least so far its gotten a decent first review in Nintendo Power.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Ouch! Those are some awful reviews for a movie :\.

sucks considering how good the cartoon is (or so I hear)
  • Seraph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seraph polycounter lvl 8
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    haha its 5% now :D
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Rotten Tomatoes is a pretty crappy indicator of whether a movie is enjoyable or not, with lots of great movies getting below 50%. But 5%? Damn this must be a huge stinker.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty sure i said to avoid it six months ago. loved the show but Sham's fucking worse than Lucas. (say what you want about the prequals they were very pretty)
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    So I just got back. As a fan of the series, it was entertaining to see the live action bending and the sets and environments were amazing. There was a lot of fan service paid in places for no reason, while other areas, like the character development were butchered. Appa, Momo and Sokka are basically non-characters. The casting was pretty weak, and all humor has been cut. The dialog ranges from serviceable to terrible. The acting is often very bad. The "avatar state" is not really in the movie.

spoilers, especially if you have not seen the series:
    Instead of going ape-shit are killing everyone in the fire nation fleet at the end, he scares them away, because we are told "it's not in the avatar's nature to kill". This is both retarded, and totally different from the show in which Ang decides on own he doesn't want to kill even when all the previous avatars think it is reasonable

I think if you are dying to see some live-action bending, it is probably worth checking out, but while a lot of the stuff reviewers have said is bullshit, other parts are totally spot-on.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ninjas: Since the series/movie are totally unknown to me, I have to say the phrase "live-action bending" seems very odd... :)
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    haha, yes. I have to admit that I too thought everything about the show seemed really dumb/weird before I saw it, but after about 4 episodes I was totally hooked. I had the show recommended to me about 10 times as "the best thing ever" and even tried and failed to watch the first episode a couple times before finally watching enough to get into it. I'm glad I did because the show is really great.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    @cwgabriel wrote:
    M. Night is a shit bender!

Also the screened.com review pretty much buried this one. I guess I won't be seeing it any time soon.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    just finished watching book 3. its terrible that there is no book 4 (air).

i just hope that the movie doesn't destroy all chances of there being another cartoon series.

one of my favorite shows of all time. right up there wth House, SVU, Voyager, and X-Files.

a Kinect fighting game would be interesting...
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    MattQ86 wrote: »
    Also the screened.com review pretty much buried this one. I guess I won't be seeing it any time soon.

Man this sounds horrendous from the reviews...am I the only one who wants to see it MORE now?

I mean, if it were so-so bad, like most bad movies, then eh, who cares...but this sounds gloriously bad. A movie this terrible only comes along once a decade! I need to see it in the theaters!