Home General Discussion

Wiki feedback: tools

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
I've been adding different programs to the wikis tools page and would like to know if their's anything you think it's missing? I want to only list apps that can be run stand alone (no plugins unless they can run independent of the main app), and that people actually use. Their are a LOT of 3d apps out their, far more then I've listed so far, but their's no point in listing things no one uses.

Go here to see whats been added so far: http://wiki.polycount.com/Tools

Also let me know if I got any info wrong or if youd rather see the apps sorted differently. And fyi the tool info at the bottom is just temp till the apps get their own pages.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I love it all but the 'opinion' aspect of it, which is very light in this - so great job! What I mean is:

Maya is generally viewed as better than 3ds Max for animation.
    3ds Max is generally viewed as better then Maya for modeling.

This might be true, but its far too subjective to be held in the wiki, IMO.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If you polled everyone here I think 80% of people would agree with those 2 statements.

I'd add a student price column after the website bit.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    ZacD:
    This might be true, but its far too subjective to be held in the wiki, IMO.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Well, we have to post some differences, people always ask "maya or max"

I've heard industries are split up like this between max/maya
    architectural and visualization industries 80/20
    games and TV/Broadcast industry 50/50
    Film industry 20/80
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was actually a transfer from what was said in the wiki previously. But yea, was a bit iffy on including that as well, so just removed them.

edit: Actually, maybe it'd be better if they were just reworded? Something like "Max is revered for the power and complexity its modifier stack allows while modeling." "Maya is know for the speed of its marking menus while modeling and ease of animation due to the versatility of attributes"
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, great update :D
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    The link for Blacksmith3D is currently leading to Anaaim8tor.com, but should be http://www.blacksmith3d.com/...also it is not free.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed. This is why it's good to ask for feedback :p

I've also made it so the app-specific section has a "best known for" headline, just to give a single sentence overview of what makes the app interesting and/or useful.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    In my opinion I think you should have Softimage as Softimage (XSI), as that's what it been known as the longest. Might be nit picking, but I never liked it when the program was called the same as the company, but thats just me.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    If you polled everyone here I think 80% of people would agree with those 2 statements.
    You would also have to poll those people who have used both apps equally, for both animation and modeling equally. I think the polling pool just shrunk to the size of a droplet.

Its pretty lame to poll people based on their opinion, perceptions and hearsay.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would also recommend removing those statements.

We don't have the strict editing standards that Wikipedia has (thank god!) but we could learn a thing or two about how they detest non-attributed statements and generalities.

My basic rule is "if someone can take the opposing viewpoint very easily, then this statement shouldn't be in the wiki, take it to the forums instead" (kill 'em all, let God sort em out)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also the price data is going to change constantly, I think it's nearly useless to have in here.

Sales, package deals, things changing from free to pay and vice versa.

When I'm looking at the page, I know that column is going to be wrong.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree about the pricing data, also consider the wiki is an international resource...

Maybe range the price or rate it in "figures".
    2 figures is $10 - 99
    3 figures is $100 - 999
    4 figures is $1,000 -9,999

Or maybe just levels or stars?
    Something other than fixed USD amounts.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I changed the statements to "best known for", and tried to give a single sentence overview of the programs most recognized features. Is that no good still?

For prices, they don't really change all that much, its not like Max is going to become a free app tomorrow or anything. The price list is just to give people an overview so they have an idea how their money will stretch without having to do hours of research. I'll add a "prices last updated on:" line somewhere.

If you notice not all of the prices are in USD, I've listed them exactly as they are listed on the companies websites for the cheapeast commercial license available.If their in $, yen, euros, whatever, that's what they're listed as, I didn't do any conversions. Maybe because my IP is US based more of them were listed as USD, or maybe its because that's the most common form of recognized currency, I don't know.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    how about a nice:

* prices as of this date ****/**/**
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, just added that. I use the name of the month when writing dates because everyone writes the month/day in a different order making it hard to tell which is which sometimes, heh.