Home General Discussion

Legitimate Question

Alright, I have a legitimate question.
I stumbled upon this forum after news of the Team Fortress 2 Polycount contest. Every once and a while I'd stop by and check out the creations people have made. I looked today and saw some of the models from Allods, and I was impressed. I did a bit more poking about and found all the wondrous stuff people have made - hell, I didn't have to look too much, most of the good stuff was right up in the header. I was frankly amazed, and it made me question just how it was made. How, and with what, specifically.
I dug around for it, doing several searches, checking several stickied threads, and even checking the FAQ (there isn't one?). I can't find just how you people do this modelling. What program is it? How'd you learn? Any tutorials? I tried once to just thrust myself into a modelling program - this was for Warcraft 3 - and I was completely dumbfounded. All I saw was an XYZ plane, and it scared the crap out of me, so I signed 3D modelling off as something I'd simply never do.
Today I stand before you (well, not really) to ask what program you work with and how (if you do) you make these fantastic textures. I have little to no experience with any of the programs necessary (unless you're talking GIMP, in which case I've barely even begun to scrape the surface), but I think it would be kind of neat to know a bit of modelling and even do a little. Even if it's just low-polycount characters or little swords or doodads like that, I think it'd be kind of cool.
Case in point - What program do you use to model, and how/where did you learn how to model?

Replies