Home General Discussion

My motherboard caught on fire

I know this isn't my blog, but this is just too weird not to share. Today, my 3-day old motherboard caught on fire. There was flame, and the most acrid smoke you can imagine. Yes, I'm serious.

Every two years I upgrade my motherboard, RAM, and CPU. After running across some sales, I went ahead and upgraded a few months early and ordered everything for my new setup this week. Three days ago I got all of the parts for my new i7 based system in the mail from NewEgg:

EVGA x58 3-way SLI motherboard
Intel Core i7 930
Corsair H50 water cooler
Mushkin 6GB DDR3 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 480
Coolermaster Cosmos full-tower case (re-using the case from my Intel Core 2 Quad build, it's a great case)

The shipping boxes were very banged up, and even the i7 and x58's actual boxes were dented and bent with lots of crinkles, so I took a lot of pictures as I unboxed. The board and everything else looked to be ok, so I went ahead and set everything up. Temps were high (50*C idle, 70*-93*C load), but it was stable for 3 days.

Today my system was under heavy load, and I made the mistake of leaving the room for a little while. When I came back, the PC appeared to be off. I pulled the plug, and then plugged it back in and tried to start it. There was a strange sound, a puff of something rolled out of the top fans in my case, and I smelled an extremely strong smell of acrid smoke, so I quickly pulled the plug.

Let me tell you, my stomach dropped...I only upgrade every 2 years, and I definitely can't afford to lose as much money as I've just spent on this system. I pulled everything apart and inspected it, and as far as I can tell my RAM, CPU, video cards and everything else are ok. On the x58, however, it looks like there are several blown capacitors and some scorch marks. The capacitors are crammed up under my H50's radiator and behind the northbridge (?) heatsink, so heat could have been an issue as well. Or, maybe UPS's unkind handling of the packages made the board a ticking time bomb.

I pulled one of my hard drives out, and it's ok, so I'm hoping and praying that the only thing that got fried was the motherboard and not my CPU or RAM (or the GTX 480...ugh).

EVGA's support is great though. They have a 24/7 help line for North America, and in 2 minutes I was talking to a rep. I told him what happened, and he set me up with a ticket for the RMA. I bought Advanced RMA coverage with the motherboard, so EVGA will ship a new board out to me within a few days.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this happening? :poly115: I'm still kind of in shock, haha.

/coolstorybro

-Sent from my laptop, currently not on fire

Replies

• pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    I had a power supply shoot spark out the back of it. Plenty of blown capacitors and smoking motherboard components. Nothing so bad there were flames though.

So you had water cooling yet you were still hitting 93C on load. Something wasn't right. What thermal paste did you use on the heat sink?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    How clean is the power going to the powersupply?

Also don't see powersupply mentioned, was it a reuse as well? What you listed sounds like a huge power draw.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a bit comforting to know that I'm not the only one with severe issues like this. I've just never seen a catastrophic failure like this before, and I'm worried it may have taken some other parts down with it.

The thermal paste I used was what came with the H-50, which I read at several places is better than the Artic Silver 5 that I also have on hand. It's possible I didn't have the H50 tight enough as well, which could have contributed to the heat problems.

The power supply is re-used as well. I went big back in 2008 and got a Thermaltake Touchpower 850 watt that cost me something like $250 back then. It's been very clean over the last two years, but the original one I got back then died after a week and had to be replaced with the one I have now. The CPU was at 100% when the computer powered itself off originally, but the GTX 480 was idle. The system had also survived a couple of hours of Bad Company 2 Friday, which pushes both the CPU and GPU pretty high.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    I had a similar problem (yet, no fire) with the exact same motherboard. Strange. Problem with that model, maybe? I'm glad that EVGA took care of you, though. They were less than helpful with me, and lost a customer (long story). Switched to ASUS, and never looked back.

I bet you flipped your lid when you saw smoke!
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    early of this year, my gigabyte motherboard get burned by my fsp power supply..

no flame but heavy smook & smells. :\
  • Burtzum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burtzum polycounter lvl 15
    Wow you built that fast. Sorry to hear it blew up. :( For reference, my 930 idles 5-10 degrees Fahrenheit over room temp @ stock. Stays around 46C max playing BFBC2 I think. I've got two fans on my H50 and its set to suck air into the case from the front though. But even stock the H50 should do pretty well. Hopefully no other components blew up. When you get back up and running add me to your BC2 friends list! Same name in game, Burtzum.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    I had a similar problem (yet, no fire) with the exact same motherboard. Strange. Problem with that model, maybe? I'm glad that EVGA took care of you, though. They were less than helpful with me, and lost a customer (long story). Switched to ASUS, and never looked back.

I bet you flipped your lid when you saw smoke!

Hmm. Check what revision of that MB you have 3d and then check some forums. Personally, I would have bought a better known companies product like Asus, MSI, or Gigabyte.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    My ASUS board puffed up smoke after a few months, and never worked again. This is back before 64-bit cpu's became mainstream.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    the most special effects my PCs have ever produced were just sparks from the PSU. Never seen flames yet :p
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    the cpu! the cpu! the cpu is on fire! we don't need no water let the mobo burn! :poly121:
  • ToothyMang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yesterday my 14 year old secondary monitor (CRT) did the funniest thing; the screen shrunk to the tiniest resolution ever, then did this crazy warp/ripple thing. Then it barked at me and coughed out a huge cloud of smoke from the back. Then it shut off, but would tick forever. Finally time for an upgrade :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Interesting thread! Will make a note NOT TO BUY ANYTHING from NEWEGG
  • fullofclovers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullofclovers polygon
    Wow dude, that's pretty crazy. Good thing you didn't burn down your house!
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Did you inhale?

Yep all manner of stuff blown, mainly PSU's and monitors, including an entire laptop to a lightning strike just as I was unplugging everything to be safe! Oh the irony. I'd do some serious bench tests with the gear you're re-using though, because you don't know what caused the burnout you're potentially running the risk of using damaged parts which could take the whole lot out.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Newegg is great Nitewalker. UPS however sucks. It says in clear print on their website that all packages they ship are subject to a 5 foot drop. I built a very similar system to yours a few months ago Lee and have had no problems at all so far. I ordered all of my parts from Newegg but for the more fragile items like the motherboard and hard drive I used Fedex. It costs a bit more but it's worth it to prevent shit like this from happening due to terrible handling from UPS.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Why were the temps so high with a watercooling kit? I think your kit failed (or never worked right), caused a load and blew stuff up.

Did you test the kit before running? Was this your first WC install?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my first ever pc build cost me around £1200. top of the line everything, i'd called in the services of a friend who was very experienced with pc builds and worked as a hardware technician.

he taught me how to build in future, possible things that could go wrong, general do's and dont's.

2 days later, my girlfriend is staying over, and decides she wants to turn the pc on. instead of flipping the on/off switch at the back (it was big and black and said ON/OFF), she flipped the small red one which changes the power conversion from 240 to 110 volts.

now, i dunno if anyone's ever tried running 240 volts through 110 converters... there was a bang, a big puff of smoke, and HORRIBLE smell.
    total damage:
    dead PSU
    fried mobo
    fried GPU (tried using it with the replacement mobo)
    fried RAM

CPU, and HDD were fine though... weirdly. i got make sex for a while lol.
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    my first ever pc build cost me around £1200. top of the line everything, i'd called in the services of a friend who was very experienced with pc builds and worked as a hardware technician.

he taught me how to build in future, possible things that could go wrong, general do's and dont's.

2 days later, my girlfriend is staying over, and decides she wants to turn the pc on. instead of flipping the on/off switch at the back (it was big and black and said ON/OFF), she flipped the small red one which changes the power conversion from 240 to 110 volts.

now, i dunno if anyone's ever tried running 240 volts through 110 converters... there was a bang, a big puff of smoke, and HORRIBLE smell.
    total damage:
    dead PSU
    fried mobo
    fried RAM

LOL good for u man hahaha
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Speaking about motherboards being caught on fire. I just baked a graphics card. It was already broken so I didn't have anything to lose. Hopefully it will be revived.

PS: I burnt my hand. Gief pity :(

EDIT: My laptop has now been revived. Woop woop. Do the happy dance.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15

I sure hell hope you stuck it in her pooper because you really have to dig in there to flick that little red switch... and miss the big black easy to reach one.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Polygoblin: I'm wondering if they're having issues with this board. When I checked the voltages right after I set the system up, some of them were higher than they needed to be despite the [AUTO] settings. My RAM was [AUTO] set to 1.7v when it shouldn't be higher than 1.65v, so I quickly fixed that manually. Between the strange voltages and high temps, I'm suspicious.

Support was great, I was talking to a real person in less than 3 minutes (on a Saturday!). After I told him what happened, he set me up with an RMA number. Now I'm just waiting for approval, and they're going to cross-ship a motherboard that should get here around Wednesday.

And yes, I think I lost a few years off of the end of my life when I saw fire in my computer case haha.

@Burtzum: Thanks for the reference points, something was definitely up with my temps. Yeah, I had carefully planned out my build so that all of the parts arrived on the same day despite being from 3 different orders/places. I just ordered some 120mm 2000rpm fans, and I'm going to be redoing my case's airflow to account for the H50 I think. Feel free to add me as well: EvilViking :)

@oXYnary: I have the second revision of the board, but it doesn't look like the problem is very common. Two people getting the same thing is too much though. EVGA is pretty well known (at least in the US) - I've been buying their graphics cards for years. Their support is the best around, including cross-shipment of replacement parts and 24/7 tech support.

@Yozora: No flames, eh? I guess I win then! :)

@ToothyMang: Hahaha, awesome

@Nitewalkr: NewEgg is usually great, other than their dependence on UPS for shipping. They did pack my motherboard and CPU pretty poorly this time though, I wasn't happy to see that.

@fullofclovers: No kidding man, I was out of the room when it originally shut down by itself. If the capacitor had blown then, things could have been much worse.

@kat: I can't even begin to describe the smell! My sinuses are still kind of scorched, ugh.

@Zipfinator: Good call with FedEx for fragile stuff. I'm going to make a note of that for the future.

@Lamont: I think there were voltage issues with the motherboard, but there could have been airflow issues as well. It's not a full water-cooling kit, just a pump and radiator for the CPU. I did test it, and the pump and fan were working 100%. The computer was stable for days, but Saturday my temperatures were climbing higher before the shut-down and fire.

I think I'm going to redo the airflow for my case, as the H50 water cooler's fan threw a wrench into things. It's now an intake fan where there used to be an outtake.

@almighty_gir: Ouch dude, ouch!

@Wahlgren: Gah! This is starting to look like the computer apocalypse. Congrats on the job though man! :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Lamont wrote: »
    I sure hell hope you stuck it in her pooper because you really have to dig in there to flick that little red switch... and miss the big black easy to reach one.

rofl
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've uploaded some pics of the whole ordeal:

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb134/EvilViking13/New%20PC%20Build/2010%20update/Motherboard%20fire/

There you can see the terrible packing from NewEgg (c'mon guys, really? One strip of paper?). The motherboard and CPU boxes were just sitting in the bottom against the outside of the box, all bent up. You can also see the usual craptastic handling from UPS.

There are also a few pictures of the final assembled system when it was working and stable. The intake fans are the main one in the bottom of the case and the one on the H50's radiator on the back. The outtakes are the two 120mm fans at the top as well as the 3x 30mm fan block by the graphics cards.

Finally, I have a few pictures of the blown capacitor and the flame scorch marks. I'll be getting some better pics later.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nono, 3d lee. I fixed my computer (laptop) by baking my graphics card in the oven. 395 degrees for 10 min = Fixed computer :)
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    Nono, 3d lee. I fixed my computer (laptop) by baking my graphics card in the oven. 395 degrees for 10 min = Fixed computer :)

And here I thought that was just an urban legend! :D!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now you know! AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE! :D
    Just do it if you got nothing to lose though. My card was messed up already sooooo yeah.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Wow that packing sucked... I've NEVER had a problem with Newegg's packing or anything else really. Sucks that this happened. Good thing EVGA is so great and is replacing your MB though!
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's the worst packing that I've ever gotten from the Egg. It's a shame. :\ I'm about to call EVGA to see why the RMA hasn't been approved yet, but I also just got an email back from NewEgg. They've noted my account with the issue and the pictures, and they want me to contact them if anything needs to be RMA'd or have a claim issued.
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel your pain. A couple years ago my house was struck by a positive lighting bolt ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning#Positive_lightning ).

I'm no stranger to close lightning strikes, as we get some pretty decent thunderstorms here, but this was unreal. I'm fairly paranoid about lighting, so I'll usually turn off/unplug any expensive electronics when a violent storm passes overhead. In this case though, the skies were completely clear in my immediate area. Positive lightning strikes can travel an incredible distance though, which is what happened in my case. One moment I'm just sitting peacefully at my computer, and then I see a bright flash and hear what sounds like a bomb going off right outside my window. It struck the electrical/cable hub on the side of the house and did some pretty serious damage. Killed my computer, router, cable modem, elliptical bike, and a bunch of other stuff. Insurance covered most of the damage, but it was still a huge pain. Mother nature can be very cruel.
  • Burtzum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burtzum polycounter lvl 15

total damage:
    dead PSU
    fried mobo
    fried RAM

Gah! Reminds me of when one of my past girlfriends dropped one of my guitars on a hard concrete basement floor. Grrrrr...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I first read this as 'My Mother caught on fire'...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Burtzum wrote: »
    Gah! Reminds me of when one of my past girlfriends dropped one of my guitars on a hard concrete basement floor. Grrrrr...

her nephew dropped my first guitar, my Ibanez RG 550, was discontinued and a beautiful instrument. hairline crack between two of the neck bolts meant that if i tried to string it it would probably fall apart.

it now sits in its case, longing to be played... =[
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    While nowhere near as extreme, all the capacitors of the 16v 1500uf variety on a ~6 year old Shuttle I have went out a short bit ago. I'm messing around with soldering on replacement caps as otherwise the mobo's a goner anyways. :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umm... in those pics you don't have a heat sink and your CPU lever is raised... tell me you did that while investigating...

and

ouch.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Hate to be WAY off topic, but I thought your thread said 'my MOTHERHOOD caught on fire.' I seriously almost panicked, and immediately clicked on it to console your sorrow.
    But lucky a piece of hardware is replaceable while a child is not.

Back to your tech shenanigans.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Umm... in those pics you don't have a heat sink and your CPU lever is raised... tell me you did that while investigating...

and

ouch.

Wait, what's a heatsink???

(kidding :))

I pulled the H50 cooler off to check for damage on the CPU and so I could get to where the smoke came from (near the 12v CPU power plug).

I'm still waiting on EVGA to approve my "2-day" Advanced RMA... the good news is that all of my hard drives appear to be ok, and a friend check my RAM sticks for me and they're all working just fine, so it appears that only the motherboard is dead thanks to the capacitor.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    Just noticed this story on bad capaictors on Yahoo, I wonder if EVGA used these:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/In-FaultyComputer-Suit-Window-nytimes-2375403564.html?x=0
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLee wrote: »
    I'm still waiting on EVGA to approve my "2-day" Advanced RMA...

Curious if your still gun ho about them? That certainly doesn't seem professional. EVGA is in the same lineup with say Biostar IMO.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I called in yesterday, and the rep was pretty embarrassed to say he wasn't sure why the RMA hadn't been approved yet (I was starting to wonder if they were going to refuse it seeing the board has physical damage, even though the damage isn't my fault). He approved it while I was still on the phone with him and it went through. My new board shipped today and should get here Friday. The 24/7 support is nice, but it does seem like their recent surge in popularity is overwhelming their staff a bit.

Still, a 6-day turn around from "motherboard caught on fire" to "new board is here" is pretty good, given that NewEgg would have needed me to send the old one in first.

Soon, I find out if the i7 930 survived the Great MotherBoard Fire of 2010.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The new motherboard arrives tomorrow, but I've come down with a nasty fever/cold today, so I'm not sure if tomorrow will be my "rebuild" day. I did pull my motherboard out tonight, and I thought you guys might want to see what greeted me:

burnedmotherboard02_s.jpg

burnedmotherboard01_s.jpg

burnedmotherboard03_s.jpg

Not something you ever want to see in your computer. :poly115:
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    lol i read my mother caught on fire :P

anyway i didn't know this could happen to a mobo :s
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought I would throw out a quick update/resolution. EVGA replaced the motherboard with a 3rd one, which works. I talked to NewEgg, and they were able to set me up with an advanced RMA for the i7 930, and the rep upgraded me to overnight shipping and cross-shipped the replacement (!). I had a new one at my door less than 24 hours after I talked to the rep, and they included a pre-paid shipping label to send the original i7 back. NewEgg customer service FTW.

The system has been rebuilt, and now I'm working on getting a nice overclock with good temps. I'm keeping a VERY close eye on the VREG on the motherboard, and I'm monitoring temps like my life depends on it.

I'm now paranoid about leaving my computer running when I'm not there, haha.