Home Technical Talk

Question about toon shaders in Max

hey guys i am wondering about setting so i can render flat colours in 3ds max. i know how to do it in view port that easy. im after a toon styled shadder for 3ds max. any help would b sweeet

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What have you tried so far?

Sorry to state the obvious, but have you tried F1 and a search for Toon?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    What Eric said. You might want to experiment with the Ink 'n' Paint shader. It's pretty interesting and fun to play around with! ;)
    F1 is your best friend! (Not Formula 1 racing btw).
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Toon shaders are easy...just crank up the self illumination...
  • cabley123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have tried using ink and paint but i have my own painted uvw textures and dont want to have to do them using ink and paint.

im more looking for the style they use for the prince of Persia game that came out a few years ago. with the black out line the ink and paint can give but with a paint texture as well.

can i just do this with ink and paint?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can use textures rather than colours in ink'n'paint. There's a slot for them in each of the colour/shadow/highlight values.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I put a SLIGHTLY lighter than normal version in the "lighted" slot. As light shines on your model this texture is revealed.
    I put a darker than normal version in the shaded slot. As the model encounters shadows this is the darkest the texture will become.
    You use the Paint Levels to increase or decrease the amount of steps between the two textures.

I use the same image in both slots but put in separate materials. In the output tab of the bitmap parameters you can "enable color map" and use the graph to darken, lighten and wash out the material.

The advantage of this is that both light and dark materials reference the same image so you're only editing one in photoshop. You can control how light or dark they are in max instead of PhotoShop.

I also think ShaderFX has some viewport toon shaders? Might be worth taking a look.