Home Technical Talk

A lesson in photo manipulation.

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Working with UDK's colour grading has shown me one thing: I'm pretty ignorant to key important features of manipulation within photoshop. That is: Curves, Gradient Maps, and Levels.

Sure, I use these from time to time (levels especially), but I have very laymen relationship with them that I'd like to grow.

'Adam, seriously? The curves tool adjusts the curves of the image.'

Ok, I get that, but I don't know if I quite get what curves are.

Does anyone have links that outlines what these adjust, specifically? Or are willing to write/talk about them? I'd love to read it.

Thanks!

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I just know its the easiest way to change the hues of darks/lights/midtones, basically it shows how much red/green/blue there are from dark to light. If in the blue channel there's a lot of blue on the darker side, but not for the red/green channels, it means the darker colors in the image are going to be cooler. I'm sure one of our photo experts will have a lot more to day.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Adam, this is from my bookmarks, it has an explanation of what they do and why we use them: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/photoshop-curves.htm
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Working with udk you kinda get a sense of the 3 channels, red, green, and blue in each texture and each of those channels is it's own greyscale image ranging from pure black to pure white. Levels and curves simply let you adjust the contrast levels of the overall image, or specific channels.

By raising up the darks, moving the slider from the left to right in levels, or moving the left node up, you're essentially making all blacks less black. By adding a point the the middle of the curve and adjusting the curve you can change how quickly the blacks become white (reaching the very top).

You'll see a graph in the background, what this graph represents is the ammount of information in the texture in that tonal range. If you have an image that's very bright and has almost no darks are greys, you'll notice the background graph is lumped way to the right side, so if you move the slider or the curve to start at the base of the left side of this "mountain" you're basically telling it you want that very bright tone to be black. This gives your image more contrast, it will make your image run the gamut of pure black to full white.

What you want to avoid in the curves editor is any flat peaks, as that will destroy any detail you have in your image. It's the contrast that gives you the detail, so when it flattens out the "lines" that define shapes go away and you get stuck with flat grey areas. If you have a flat peak in the middle of the curve you'll see that the mid tone areas look flat.

So basically when looking at the curve, look for the areas in the graph in the background that have the largest spikes, this is where fine tuning adjustments will make the greatest affect on your piece. And generally try to match the slope of the background graph with the slopes of your curves, this will keep the detail of the image.

Isolating color channels like red blue and green can be nice for adding subtle hue changes but i wouldn't advize going crazy with it. And on almost no occasion would i ever recommended having the slope of the curve point downward, what that does is makes areas black white and areas that are white black, it totally throws of whatever sense your image had going on, but if you want some weird metallic effects or psychedelics it can do some ok stuff.

The auto function is also pretty cool, it tries to auto create contrast levels to give your image more tonal range and make it "pop" a bit more.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @Crazy fingers, that summery is worth a wikipedia page, awesome write up.

I often use the auto button and tweak it from there.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam, this is from my bookmarks, it has an explanation of what they do and why we use them: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/photoshop-curves.htm

This website is awesome. Thanks for sharing it !
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Lynda.com have some awesome titles on Photoshop, dealing with these very topics - they're very well-explained, quite entertaining and include some great exercises that fully explain why using levels, the curve editor and such are so useful, and how they work. One of the titles (Advanced Techniques for Channels and Masks) is about twenty hours long, so it's really good value, too.

I went through the CS3 series a while back, but I'd imagine they'd still be useful and relevant to those using CS4 or CS5. I'd definitely recommend them if you're looking for something quite comprehensive.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, great link Rick, thanks!

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but does anyone have a good tutorial link on blending layers. Currently I use the standard Multiply, Overlay, softlight, screen, color dodge and occasional hard light. I understand these. But on some of the others I'm not so sure. Pin light for example. Would be cool if someone had an explaination for each and how they use it typically.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lots of sites out there trying to explain them, I found these to be among the better ones...

From an artist's perspective:
    http://www.myinkblog.com/2009/07/14/an-explanation-of-photoshop-blend-modes/

From a coder's perspective:
    http://www.nathanm.com/photoshop-blending-math/
  • cbalassu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find with levels you are limited to a few point to manipulate the values of your image. That can be good thing too if you want to simplify.

Curves give you a crazy amount of control points that you can add. You can get some unexpected results....that can also be a good thing.

I mostly use it for contrast control and value control.

Hope that helps..:)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    It works like an input/output system. The input number being the value originally in the image, and the output value being the number of RGB steps of tonal transform.

example:
    If you take the bottom left anchor and drag it straight up 50 steps then the darkest tone in the image will be RGB 50 (which would decrease the contrast without affecting the highlights, and also remove 50 RGB tones from your image dropping the maximum number of value steps to 205). If you were to drag it directly to the right 50 steps then all the RGB values that were less than 50 before have tranformed to 0 (increases contrast and destroys all shadow detail that was below 50).

Curves are really useful for color balancing since you can tweak mid tones, shadows, and highlights separately and you can combine the curves tool with the eye dropper and the color sampler tool for really precise work. Assuming your image has no blown out highlights you can adjust global color casts by mostly working with the top right anchor (dragging it down, not up so as not to blow out highlights). You have to be really careful when color correcting to not introduce odd shaped curves that might create a color shift in only the shadows, or only the mid tones since those can become really hard to correct. In general gentle curves will produce predictable, controllable results and curves with sudden spiked will produce broken looking images.

If your image does have blown out highlights then you are going to need to work more with the mid tones so that your blown out white areas stay white and don't turn to a pastel color.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Something to note is that a lot of the concepts in photoshop are photographic ones. For example colour burn is a simulation of what happens when you do an underexposure while developing a photo. So if you did a photography course that focuses on processing your own exposures you'd learn how all these things work.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    I went through a similar situation to you a few months ago, realizing the power of curves and levels and how I needed to learn more about them.

There have been some really good resources shown so far, but I'd like to share my experience. I personally learned how to really understand this stuff by taking a normal photo, and trying to use levels and curves to achieve very specific effects.

I highly suggest trying to take an image and achieve a range of specific photographic effects using the limited toolsets of color curves, levels and saturation. It really helped me understand how to use these tools more effectively, and become well versed in color correction.

http://www.danielscholten.com/photography/recent/duotone-night.jpg
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2081/2185794657_dae8279f6e_o.jpg
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2193/2274598406_9ee2ffbd5c.jpg