Home General Discussion

Recent International Grad

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Diwan polycounter lvl 13
Hey PC!

So I recently graduated from the Art Institute of California in San Diego, I'm an international worker from Sweden. I've experienced difficulties in getting attention from studios because of my situation. Even though I'm on OPT (optional practical training) for a year from now, studios are not too interested in hiring someone in my position. All interviews, and tests so far had let me to nothing after the realization that eventually I will be in need of work visa.

Why am I posting it here? Well mainly just to get some more information in how things are. I mean I do realize that I don't have a chance against an American artist, but after all there must be some companies that do hire internationals, or maybe I'm approaching the matter wrongly? If anyone has any info to bring light into this I'd highly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Replies

• Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe try to find internships? Seems like there is a steady stream of openings in the states, but scarce in Western Canada.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it might just be about skill, or some companies just dont hire overseas.

A company needs to do lots of tricks and spend time, money, to get one overseas, it's a huge gamble. And if that person does not bring much more to the table then the local artists, it is not likely they will perform this dance.

What also comes to mind is, when you let a company know they need to arrange a visa.
    If you do this early in the interaction, it might save both of you a lot of time.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    its probably more to do with your level of experience then the fact that your from Sweden. recent grads with no industry experience is a huge pool of people competing for a relatively small amount of junior roles and internships. You have to work hard, be patient and stick with it.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Hmm ok, well its pretty clear on my apps that I'm not US citizen, however have opt which gives me a year to work here without visa. But I never thought of doing internships, I thought they where mainly aimed toward artists that are still in school.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    it might possibly be difficult for studios to get you a work visa a year down the road if you don't have the experience. has anyone rejecting your application clearly stated that this is the reason or are you guessing?

what about getting contract work to max out the year in the meantime tho? shouldn't there be plenty of opportunities in california?
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    @thomasp yeah they have stated that the reason for rejection is due to the fact that they haven't been able to provide visa at the moment. What I don't get is why even bother wasting both parts time if that problem is going to hinder it anyways. I'd take anything at this moment, just to get my foot in :)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    in my experience what happens is that any application containing decent looking portfolios will be put forward to the art department for review, which will then select the applicants they want HR to contact based largely on folio (and not care much about paperwork, probably only glance over the CV, likely have zero idea about visa regulations).

if there's a legal hurdle like in your case it might very well be overlooked between those departments until they actually start taking steps to hiring you. more so if the company has not much experience hiring foreigners.

perhaps all you need is to find one one that does. :)
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I think the norm now is that a company wont even consider putting forth the effort to get you a visa unless you are at a senior level and with lots of experience/some great title under your belt. Its just to much time/effort for them to spend on someone with zero experience no matter how rockin your folio is. There are some decents devs back home in Sweden, I would be trying to crack those nuts if I were in your shoes.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know a lot of companies that don't have trouble finding talent in their area and are reluctant to look outside of it. Why fly someone in from 3 states over when there are 6 handfuls of qualified candidates camped out in the parking lot?

Looking at your portfolio, its a pretty good start, nice work so far. I think you need to keep working on it to overcome a few things that would hold you back even if your employment status was crystal clear. I can get into specifics if you want but it might be worth it to set up a new thread?

Have you thought about contract work? Places might be more open to an international contract rather than trying to hire.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys, first and foremost, thanks alot for the inputs.
    @thomasp - I think you are right, and that's where my issue comes in to play.
    @Canadian Ink - Again a good point. I guess I was just hoping to get a easier foot in the door by studying here in the states.
    @Vig - Thanks Vig, I'm always open to hear critique and guidance. You can post it here or message me privately, I'd appreciate it in anyway. I don't see myself as a big of a deal to make another post lol :P

The matter of contract work. I'm not sure how that works. Like how do you apply for a contract work if a company is not looking for any workers? Do companies post that they are looking for contract work only?