Home Technical Talk

Render to Texture problems

I'm currently baking an Ambient Occlusion and Normals map for a weapon model, however when baking the lines of the mesh are coming through as black dots on the maps, as well as having horrible anti-aliasing there are also black marks on some parts of the model even though the cage isn't intersecting any geometry. All my settings are what usually works perfectly yet recently my maps aren't baking properly, any thoughts? :poly127:

Edit: I found that one of the problems could be overlapping UVs, but none of the UVs are overlapped at all, yet the UV editor says they are? :/

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dsmax?
    Try it with Global Super Sampling on or off. If its the low poly intersecting with the high. Select the low poly just before you bake, go into element mode and hide all (in the edit poly modifier). This will leave just the high poly and your cage when baking and fixes the intersecting MentalRay AO issue.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    post your app and renderer dude, its completely pointless making people guess.

If your using Mentalray make sure your working at roughly real world scale and your transforms are reset.

I get the black dots in max sometimes when im baking very similar meshes, usually a push modifier with a low value fixes it.
  • ekman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ekman polycounter lvl 12
    i think i have the same problem. I run 3ds max 2010 and trying to bake a Lightmap with the scanline render.

I tried the tips from above, but no good. Hers a pic

lightmap.jpg

please help, dont know how many times i just give up on it :[
  • ekman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ekman polycounter lvl 12
    forgot to mention that i tried with various cage sizes. But still the exact same problem
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    looks like the low poly is being picked up intersecting the HP
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure you're checking the actual file it saves not what is displayed in the render preview window. What is shown in the preview window is a "complete bake" and what the actual files look like. So check the file you specified in the "File Name and Type" field. The preview window is so annoying that some people turn it off. Press 0, general settings, uncheck "Rendered Frame Window".

This gets kind of wordy so I highlighted the main ideas.

Hide all of the "elements" for the low poly:
    If that is what the file looks like it looks like your low poly is poking through your high poly, if that's the case then hide the low poly like I suggested above will fix it. Again you're looking to hide the elements not the object itself.

If you're using Ray Depth:

It could be too low, Press 0 and under Projection Mapping click options and if Use Cage is checked on turn it off and bake. If it still shows errors then push the offset up. If you go too high it will start to distort your map horribly. You're looking for that sweet spot where you don't get any errors and the distortion is pretty minimal.

If you're using a cage:
    The high poly could be poking through the cage. The low poly has a projection modifier applied to it, you can use the settings in this modifier to adjust the cage. Normally it clears up most of it if you just"reset" and "push" until the cage covers the entire high poly.

You can also go into the cage sub-object mode and move the verts of the cage around as you need to. It can help to turn on "shaded" and "point to point".

Post the files or more pics:
    If all that doesn't work post the files so people can take a look. Or post pics of your RTT settings, and a screen shot of the viewport with everything visible.
    This is a pretty typical problem and should be easy to solve... should be... but you never know when you're going to hit something really wonky.

This wouldn't happen if we stuck to making primitives floating above checkerboards!
  • ekman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ekman polycounter lvl 12
    thanks for the answers guys.

Just a quick question, i know my lowpoly i sticking through at some places on the hipoly. is that was causing this? should i scale down the lowpoly?

will test the other tips now
    ps. i was aware of that preview window bugg. the render fil have the same problem.ds
  • ekman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ekman polycounter lvl 12
    well, i scaled down the lowpoly model and re-render. It seems that was the problem.
    I just hope the projection is accurate when the lowpoly is that much smaller then the hipoly.. oh well. Hafto wait and see i guess :P
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    you#d just have to exclude it from the projection list.