Home Technical Talk

[HELP] TF2 Viewmodel model compiling

Hello
First of all, I'd like to say that I am new here, and if I have posted in the wrong topic please redirect me :)

Now, my problem is that I can't compile my model. I am making a new shotgun to contribute, and I've decided to test it as a skin to normal shotgun.
But I can't. Every my try seems to fail.
Then I've decided to try and test it as a hat - and it worked! Here:
http://www.deviantart.com/download/168201908/Morgan_hat_3_by_DwarfVaderRus.jpg
http://www.deviantart.com/download/168201860/Morgan_hat_2_by_DwarfVaderRus.jpg

Why hat?
There is a nice tutorial on Steam Forums, so I've used it.

Now, what do I do wrong?
Earlier, when I tried to make it a "hat" I've faced an error, which spammed my console:
Material [material name and path] does not support vertex format used by the mesh (maybe missing fields or mismatched vertex compression?), mesh will not be rendered. Grab a programmer!
I've solved it by editing the .VMT file..

But returning to the viewmodel, I don't get any of these errors. Just an "invisible" model, or maybe there is none..
I've tried to decompile my compiled model (lol, yeah) and everything was fine...

I can provide more information if you need it, but I don't want to post a too-big-wall-of-text right now. I will if you ask.

Thank you in advance, I hope it gets solved ;)

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Well, it's kind of hard to know what's going on unless you post the QC file, etc. There are a lot of tutorials out there already, for compiling TF2 models on sites like ValveERC or FPSBanana.
    Also, "skin" is not the right term. It's either a new model or texture - "skin" doesn't really apply to it. :)
  • DwarfVaderRus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago wrote: »
    Well, it's kind of hard to know what's going on unless you post the QC file, etc. There are a lot of tutorials out there already, for compiling TF2 models on sites like ValveERC or FPSBanana.
    Also, "skin" is not the right term. It's either a new model or texture - "skin" doesn't really apply to it. :)

Well, thanks :) I'll look into the sites you've posted

My QC file:
    $cd ".\"
    $modelname "Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl"
    //$includemodel "weapons\v_models\v_shotgun.mdl"
    $model "v_shotgun" "v_shotgun_engineer.dmx.smd"
    $cdmaterials "models\Weapons\v_shotgun\"
    $cdmaterials "models\Weapons\"
    $cdmaterials ""
    //$texturegroup skinfamilies
    //{
    //	{"models/player/engineer/engineer_handR_red.vmt"
    // "models/player/engineer/engineer_handL.vmt"
    // "models/player/engineer/engineer_red.vmt"
    //}
    // 	{"models/player/engineer/engineer_handR_red.vmt"
    // "models/player/engineer/engineer_handL.vmt"
    // "models/player/engineer/engineer_blue.vmt"
    //}
    // }
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "bip_upperArm_L" -4.640  -13.280  -4.240  3.090  1.300  5.270
    $hbox 0 "bip_lowerArm_L" -3.460  -11.590  -3.460  2.540  3.960  3.540
    $hbox 0 "bip_hand_L" -2.630  -6.500  -2.830  2.390  0.500  3.120
    $hbox 0 "bip_upperArm_R" -3.090  -1.300  -5.270  4.640  13.250  4.240
    $hbox 0 "bip_lowerArm_R" -2.360  -6.140  -3.170  3.640  12.980  3.830
    $hbox 0 "bip_hand_R" -1.940  -2.500  -3.720  4.060  6.500  3.280
    $hbox 0 "weapon_bone" -1.250  -0.100  -3.000  1.250  4.900  35.000
    // Model uses material "models/player/engineer/engineer_handR_red.vmt"
    // Model uses material "models/player/engineer/engineer_handL.vmt"
    // Model uses material "models/player/engineer/engineer_red.vmt"
    // Model uses material "models/weapons/v_shotgun/v_shotgun.vmt"
    // Model uses material "models/player/engineer/engineer_blue.vmt"
    $attachment "weapon_bone" "weapon_bone" -0.00 -0.00 0.00 rotate -0.00 -0.00 0.00
    $attachment "muzzle" "weapon_bone" 0.00 3.73 34.92 rotate -90.00 -0.00 0.00
    $attachment "eject_brass" "weapon_bone" -0.31 2.56 13.86 rotate -10.89 159.26 3.57
    $surfaceprop "default"
    $illumposition 19.395 -11.617 -8.242
    $sequence draw "draw" ACT_VM_DRAW 1 fps 30.00 node raised {
      { event 5004 1 "Weapon_Shotgun.Draw" }
    }

$sequence idle "idle" loop ACT_VM_IDLE 1 fps 30.00 node raised
    $sequence fire "fire" ACT_VM_PRIMARYATTACK 1 fps 30.00 node raised {
      { event 5004 7 "Weapon_ShotgunEngineer.Cock_Back" }
      { event 5004 12 "Weapon_ShotgunEngineer.Cock_Forward" }
      { event 6002 13 "3" }
    }

$sequence reload_start "reload_start" ACT_RELOAD_START 1 fps 30.00
    $sequence reload_loop "reload_loop" loop ACT_VM_RELOAD 1 fps 30.00 {
      { event 5004 10 "Weapon_Shotgun.Reload" }
    }

$sequence reload_end "reload_end" ACT_RELOAD_FINISH 1 fps 35.00 {
      { event 5004 12 "Weapon_ShotgunEngineer.Cock_Back" }
      { event 5004 17 "Weapon_ShotgunEngineer.Cock_Forward" }
    }

But hey, as I've said, I'll look into the sites, and maybe find the answers..
    Ther QC is "just-in-case", you know ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like the pivot for shotgun is in the wrong spot.

In the case of the invisible model it normally means the name of the diffuse that was applied to the model when exported doesn't match the material name called out in the VMT file.

The path and extension do not matter, but the name needs needs to match. For example if the texture in your VMT file is called shotgun.vtf then you need to apply a texture to the diffuse slot that's called shotgun.tga or shotgun.psd.

At the top of the VMT file is the main shader for most models you'll use "VertexLitGeneric" if you're using a shader that gets applied to hammer BSP brushes it will give that error.

It also helps to know what app you're using to build and export the models...
  • DwarfVaderRus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    It looks like the pivot for shotgun is in the wrong spot.

In the case of the invisible model it normally means the name of the diffuse that was applied to the model when exported doesn't match the material name called out in the VMT file.

The path and extension do not matter, but the name needs needs to match. For example if the texture in your VMT file is called shotgun.vtf then you need to apply a texture to the diffuse slot that's called shotgun.tga or shotgun.psd.

At the top of the VMT file is the main shader for most models you'll use "VertexLitGeneric" if you're using a shader that gets applied to hammer BSP brushes it will give that error.

It also helps to know what app you're using to build and export the models...

Actually I have imported the original shotgun (with hands and bones) and attached mine to them, in place of the original shotgun, then "re-skinned" it..

With the materials I have assigned the exact same material which applies to the in-game model... I mean, .../materials/models/weapons/v_models/v_shotgun.vtf or something like that, I can't remember right now. Yeah, path doesn't matter, but the name is the same.

Well I am using 3DS Max 2009 64 bit, GUIstudioMDL, Canonfodder's Model Decompiler... I think that's enough :P Oh, yeah, and VTFEdit for creatimg VMTs and viewing VTFs ;)

Also, I get this when compiling:
    WARNING: @draw : bounding box out of range : -131093 -130597 -114711 : -9999 -9999 -9999
    WARNING: @idle : bounding box out of range : -131085 -130586 -114711 : -9999 -9999 -9999
    WARNING: @fire : bounding box out of range : -131069 -130557 -114693 : -9999 -9999 -9999

--- Edit #1 ---

Oh, yeah, and one more, but very important thing.

I have made (as a test) a sphere, a big one, and aligned it to theweapon. I have skinned it, etc, and exported. And yeah, I didn't see it. So I think that it is other problem than pivoting or positioning...

Thanks again :icon60:
    --- Edit #2 ---

Now, I have made a Worldmodel, but it doesn't have a texture... I will correct it soon (and the bones too), but now I know that it's not a model problem (but what could it be anyway with the model, huh)
    http://www.deviantart.com/download/168210458/Worldmodel_no_texture_by_DwarfVaderRus.jpg
    --- Edit #3 ---

Sorry for this spam, but I have just found this in console:
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_2_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!

It appears when I switch from third person view back to first person..

---

Yay, made the wiewmodel texture work fine!

http://www.deviantart.com/download/168462365/Morgan_worldmodel_beta_by_DwarfVaderRus.jpg
    http://www.deviantart.com/download/168462447/Morgan_worldmodel_beta_2_by_DwarfVaderRus.jpg
    http://www.deviantart.com/download/168462713/Morgan_worldmodel_beta_3_by_DwarfVaderRus.jpg
  • DwarfVaderRus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok now. I see the source of the error.

My console:
    [COLOR="White"]No pure server whitelist. sv_pure = 0
       VAC secure mode disabled.
    DΨλЯF √λĐΞЯRu|žҲ∙E connected
    Redownloading all lightmaps
    ] sv_cheats 1
    ] thirdperson
    ] thirdperson_platformer 1
    ] thirdperson_platformer 0
    ] thirdperson_platformer 1
    ] firstperson 
    ] thirdperson [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_0_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_1_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_2_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_index_0_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_index_1_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_index_2_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_0_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_1_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_2_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_ring_0_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_ring_1_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_ring_2_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_0_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_1_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_2_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_0_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_1_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_2_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_index_0_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_index_1_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_index_2_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_0_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_1_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_2_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_ring_0_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_ring_1_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_ring_2_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_0_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_1_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_2_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_0_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_1_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_2_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_index_0_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_index_1_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_index_2_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_0_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_1_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_ring_0_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_ring_1_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_ring_2_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_0_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_1_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_2_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_0_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_1_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_2_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_index_0_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_index_1_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_index_2_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_0_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_1_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_2_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_ring_0_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_ring_1_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_ring_2_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_0_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_1_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_2_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_0_L' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
    Performance warning: Merge with 'Weapons\v_models\v_shotgun_engineer.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_2_R' in model 'player/engineer.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc![/COLOR]