Home General Discussion

Warning! Game Market:Hedge Betting (Serious stuff/Srsly)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
I know e3 is this week and everyone is excited. However, this also might make a good opportunity to discuss such since these events get so much of the industry together.

Speculators betting on movie success
Market traders who usually speculate on the price of oil or the value of the pound have found something new to bet on - movie releases.

Following US regulatory approval, a new exchange is to begin offering traders the chance to bet on the success of the latest cinematic productions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/10317873.stm

Now I can't help given our global income exceeding the movie industry. That these same speculators will be pushing to basically bet on future game releases.

If those didn't realize, remember the oil prices sky rocketing because of the speculators? Understand this is not only betting for the success of something, its betting against the success of something. With the amount of money going into these sometimes. I can see "naughtiness" potentially.

In short order, its legalized betting. Which I'm not saying is right nor wrong. I am saying its going to open a can of worms and will lead to discredible people/organizations trying to sway the success or failure of a project for their own benefit(beyond some of the publishers CEO).

Oh yes, and WOLF! WOLF!. I know many will try to disregard thinking Im being negative ned. Or simply not care. Well, you might stop to think why you should care. Enough to write your congress person to at least state why they should not allow hedge betting to expand into the corporate creative industries.

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    I'll admit I've always been distrusting (And let's be honest: uninformed, so take this with a grain of salt) of this sort of thing. There's massive potential for foul play, and I'm not convinced even half of the occurances of white-collar crime (insider trading, for isntance) are ever discovered. Personally, I find the idea of speculators and analysts to be quite tacky, and something to keep far, far away from any creative endeavour.
  • jrs100000
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    There is certainly plenty of opportunity for fraud and corruption, but there is also the potential to reduce risk. If it works, that means it might be easier to get a AAA budget together to make games that arnt and endless string of sequels.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    How so? If anything wouldn't this favor sequels more? As they would be more willing to bet on an IP that did good the first time around versus an unknown. If anything, I would have to disagree and say it even more reinforces investment only for established game play.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd have to agree with oXYnary,

This means less original games, more games about whats popular/cool/trendy right now. And games would have to produce even more hype.
  • jrs100000
    Offline / Send Message
    Theres not much profit to be made picking sure things. Yea, you know the game is going to make X million dollars. All that means is that youll be paying that premium for your futures right off the bat. Im sure this will be nice for the publishers from an accounting standpoint, but its not going to be revolutionary since there hasnt ever been a problem getting funding for this sort of project anyway.

The place to make money on a market like this will be by picking out sleeper hits. Some unknown developer has some wierd new game mechanic or story hook that nobody has ever heard of? Its a risk, but if you pick the next Tetris, Doom, or Farmville and youll make a killing for your investment.

Edit: Another thing, this might actually reduce some of the hype that goes into marketing games. If your next "sure thing sequel" is going to suck, why hype it and damage the property? Just let the speculators take a bath and start working on a new version.
  • Zack Fowler
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Good points jrs!
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 wrote: »
    Theres not much profit to be made picking sure things. Yea, you know the game is going to make X million dollars. All that means is that youll be paying that premium for your futures right off the bat. Im sure this will be nice for the publishers from an accounting standpoint, but its not going to be revolutionary since there hasnt ever been a problem getting funding for this sort of project anyway.

The place to make money on a market like this will be by picking out sleeper hits. Some unknown developer has some wierd new game mechanic or story hook that nobody has ever heard of? Its a risk, but if you pick the next Tetris, Doom, or Farmville and youll make a killing for your investment.

Edit: Another thing, this might actually reduce some of the hype that goes into marketing games. If your next "sure thing sequel" is going to suck, why hype it and damage the property? Just let the speculators take a bath and start working on a new version.

I think though your not addressing one point. They can bet against the success of a property as well. I admit being ignorant of the specific rules of whom can bid or what a developer can tell a speculator. But whats to stop a developer from hedging its own product? Saying its so good, realizing it will probably flop and betting against the property from making any money. Or worse, specifically trying to warp the development process so it does end up a flop. A Big Rigs if you will.
  • jrs100000
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    I think though your not addressing one point. They can bet against the success of a property as well. I admit being ignorant of the specific rules of whom can bid or what a developer can tell a speculator. But whats to stop a developer from hedging its own product? Saying its so good, realizing it will probably flop and betting against the property from making any money. Or worse, specifically trying to warp the development process so it does end up a flop. A Big Rigs if you will.

The same thing that stops them from doing that with their stock prices. SEC investigations, lawyers, fines, and possible jail time. Thats not to say that all sorts of fraudulent crap wont happen tho, especially in the first few years.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    The same thing that stops them from doing that with their stock prices. SEC investigations, lawyers, fines, and possible jail time. Thats not to say that all sorts of fraudulent crap wont happen tho, especially in the first few years.

That didn't stop hedge betting on bad mortgage assets that helped cause the crisis we are in now. In short it wasn't regulated well. I guess before we call this good or bad in either direction. What kind of regulation oversight will be involved? Know any CFO's that know this stuff?
  • jrs100000
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    That didn't stop hedge betting on bad mortgage assets that helped cause the crisis we are in now. In short it wasn't regulated well. I guess before we call this good or bad in either direction. What kind of regulation oversight will be involved? Know any CFO's that know this stuff?

Yes but at this point the only thing at stake in a market crash would be speculator money. Even then, only if they planned to flip their shares and not ride out the returns themselves. If this really took off and someday the entire industry was built around financing through a futures market...then a potential market crash would be a real problem. A scenario like that is probably many years in the future and things will have had some time to mature between now and then.

The biggest short term negative I see is that a lot of employees will probably be forced to take futures options in lue of actual cash money. The whole "work for me and maybe Ill pay you when the game is a huge hit" thing is already bad enough without extending it beyond the vaporware market :(
  • JohnnySix
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    As an insider with some few years exposure to how easily things are manipulated, it's likely not a step that will improve the industry, a few years down the line a greater divide will emerge between the bigger studios and the small independents.

It's all too easy to manipulate the market, even with the amount of red tape introduced over the last few years. The Sarbanes–Oxley act for example made more paperwork for everyone, but overall did nothing to prevent the crash only a few years after its implementation.

Dunno, people are still short selling, mortgage backed bonds are still being traded, the futures markets are still alive and well and the banks are still taking massive risky bets with taxpayers money.

Blah...
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    . The whole "work for me and maybe Ill pay you when the game is a huge hit" thing is already bad enough

*whistles while darting eyes around.*