Home Technical Talk

Is turbosmooth needed?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
Lately i've been having some cases where i could only use turbosmooth on the floating geometry and still get away with the gun looking nice.

Whats the turbosmooth mainly being used for? Just to give the low poly model the high poly smoothed look? Why can't someone save us some time and create a turbo smooth looking shader?

What effects will using it/not using it have on your model?

Replies

• McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Well, you could have a shader that does that, but the problem is that you have no control over it and it will apply on everything. I actually think there is a shader like that in XSI, can't remember what it was called.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Less thinking more doing, you'll soon see why its useful!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like more of a hassle to me, because one wrong edge flow and you're back to retopologizing your model.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Yes, it isn't easy when first getting started, that's for sure. You essentially have to relearn how to model specifically for edge control to utilize the tools. The way you break up your meshes and plan your low poly to bake normals is a different way of thinking altogether.

It's also how "current" game art generates normal maps. We don't just just run it through the Photoshop filter and call it a day anymore. Granted, some studios and some games still do it. High Poly modeling takes time...and time is money. But the better you get at it and the faster you become, you models and normal maps look 100% better and you never want to model the old school way again!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would still bake normal maps, but i would only turbo-smooth floating geometry.

My main problem is if you have a low poly cylinder and you try to smooth that you get little black edges. This problem occurs in many other places to. Is this because im using less polys than i need to?

While we are on the subject of normal maps, why are tangent maps harder to deal with than object maps?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    frell:

Turbosmooth isnt ideal for everything. Your modeling guns so there are indeed a few ways around that workflow, and the benefits may not be so obvious.

The thing about SDS modeling is the way it lets you work with a relatively low poly cage and turns it into a smooth curved surface and back without any problems. its just so much easier to work with a lower res cage of strategically placed geometry. its easier to model in the first place, easier to change, and easier to manage in uv unwrapping, and skinning.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frell: Clearly something is going wrong for you, because 'little black edges' should not be a problem. When someone talks about black edges in a topic about normalmaps, all I can suggest is to read up on baking normalmaps with smoothing groups. Black edges occur when you have a break in your vertex normals but not your uvs (which also need to be moved apart a little bit)
    Since something clearly went wrong in your workflow somewhere, it'd be a good idea to post images of what's going wrong, as I feel people are debating the wrong thing here.

Aside from the issue you mentioned: no, you don't need to sub-d model. You can also hard-model everything, and that's certainly a valid technique, but one with possible even more difficulties, I'm afraid. Especially in max, where bevelling edges doesn't give a very usable result where edges meet, and things get messy really quickly.
    I suggest you just knuckle down and learn how sub-d modeling works, as it's really quite fast. Since you're already working with floaters, you've already sidestepped many of the more difficult issues with sub-d modeling.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    frell wrote: »
    Seems like more of a hassle to me, because one wrong edge flow and you're back to retopologizing your model.
    Instead of using turbosmooth, use meshsmooth (a modifier) stacked onto your lowpoly/highpolybase. Because you can just turn on and off the meshsmooth modifier to see how it looks, this keeps the model simple, while making the highpoly sexy.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Turbosmooth works the same way (is a modifier) but is considerably faster and more memory efficient.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Ott wrote: »
    Turbosmooth works the same way (is a modifier) but is considerably faster and more memory efficient.

Is it though?, I thought nowadays the differences were negligable, and meshsmooth is at the forefront(the ribbon) while turbosmooth is in the background.
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember bringing a mesh in from zbrush that was chugging my scene, but for some reason, when I applied a turbosmooth, which made it even more dense... it ran better?

I still use turbosmooth. I like have the modifier, so I can use a shortcut to toggle them all on/off + my symmetry modifiers I use often.
  • EarthQuake
  • Mr. Bean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turbosmooth is invaluable for making high poly meshes, especially for normal maps. It's just a SubD modifier for smoothing the whole model. I say this a lot, but you should check out Racer's AK and other tutorials for learning the basics of subdivision modeling.

For the "little black edges," it may be over-smoothing it so that some polys are actually becoming flipped. Or problems usually start happening at the ends of the cylinder; maybe try insetting the ends.
    Snader wrote: »
    Instead of using turbosmooth, use meshsmooth (a modifier) stacked onto your lowpoly/highpolybase. Because you can just turn on and off the meshsmooth modifier to see how it looks, this keeps the model simple, while making the highpoly sexy.

Like Ott said, meshsmooth is exactly the same as turbosmooth, except that turbosmooth is more efficient. It's more efficient because meshsmooth allows you to edit the model while you have the meshsmooth modifier selected; you can move verts around and "crease" parts of the model. Whereas turbosmooth only allows you to view the model as subdivided, and not be able to edit it unless you're at the editable poly level of the modifier stack.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    If you turn off all the special options in MSmooth, the difference in efficiency is negligible...but still I use TSmooth only...:D
  • Mr. Bean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    Mr. Bean: Turbosmooth is more efficient because it outputs editableMesh.

Really? I never knew that. I don't use editable mesh ever, so I guess that's why I didn't realize that was what Meshsmooth was doing.

Well, thanks for the info Perna :)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres an example of the black edges:
    black.png

Im thinking alot of my problems with turbosmooth are coming from my low polycounts. My guns are usually about 1.6k quads and i always have a problem smoothing it. But could i safely double my limit and get much better, turbosmooth friendly, results?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a big fan of turbosmooth. I use this technique on just about any shape with great results. Using two turbosmooths, crazy.

turboedges01.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THANK

YOU

SO

MUCH

THAT

IS

AWESOME
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    "doublesmooth" as some friends of mine like to call it is a pretty legit method and can help you quickly make complex shapes, but you still need to mind your mesh density and build your mesh specifically for the method. you can't just slap it on anything and expect it to work.

you still need to know conventional subd techniques to make the most of it.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Now that is just wicked sick.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Racer445 wrote: »
    "doublesmooth" as some friends of mine like to call it is a pretty legit method and can help you quickly make complex shapes, but you still need to mind your mesh density and build your mesh specifically for the method. you can't just slap it on anything and expect it to work.

I've heard people refer to this method before, but I've not tried to put it into practice before. I tend to stick to more 'traditional' subdivision techniques, and usually use Turbosmooth with two iterations (and isoline display) to achieve the result I'm after.

Mesh density is an easy enough concept to bear in mind, but could you give a simple example of how you'd build a mesh specifically with this technique in mind?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @cholden:
    Awesomesauce. *saves*

I've tried a similar technique before with tesselate as the lower modifier, but that had rather undesirable results. This seems like it works a lot better.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should i make high poly models or low poly models first?
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Snader wrote: »
    I've tried a similar technique before with tesselate as the lower modifier, but that had rather undesirable results. This seems like it works a lot better.

Tesselate works too for boxy things, as it blindly adds edges and doesn't follow curves.
    danshewan wrote: »
    Mesh density is an easy enough concept to bear in mind, but could you give a simple example of how you'd build a mesh specifically with this technique in mind?

While density is important, meshflow is important too. The same rules still apply from traditional techiques, for example when there is a pole on a corner it will not smooth properly. Really it's the same standard stuff, but this is faster since you don't need to manually add in edges and bother with much control edge stuff, instead dealing with a much simpler mesh. That said, I use traditional subd methods often for simpler things so the tricount doesn't skyrocket, and so I can have manual control on particularly tricky shapes.

doubleflow.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 wrote: »
    Tesselate works too for boxy things, as it blindly adds edges and doesn't follow curves.

Yeah, problem was, not the entire thing was supposed to be boxy... Some parts needed to be rounded, which is where the turbosmoothingroups come in to play.