Home Technical Talk

Anti-Virus/Spyware software?

Ark
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ark polycounter lvl 11
Up to now ive been using the free version of Avast, along with Windows Firewall and Spybot.

Over the last 6 months or so ive had both my debit and credit cards used fraudulently online. Getting a little scared of using them online now.

So i guess theres a hole somewhere so i figure i need to ramp up my PC with more security.

Can anyone recommend some good lite anti-virus/spyware software. Don't mind paying for the commercial ones aslong as they do the job better than what i've got now.

Hardware firewalls any better than their software equivalents?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like this site for freeware reviews.
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/pc/security-tools.html

But the best is not free, nod32.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    just a quick question for you:
    Are you using by any chance Internet Explorer for your online banking?, or perhaps Firefox? Booth but especially the IE are targeted for that kind of stuff, less your firewall or AV. For example in the last couple of month the Adobe PDF reader in combination with the IE has been a culprit for many backdoor, trojans and alike nasty shit for companies (like google) and others.

If you want to be super safe with that kind of stuff get a Linux life CD that can boot with just the CD so that it doesn't leave any traces on your computer. If you still want to stick in windows use Opera as even some hackers are quoted to use that browser for certain stuff. Opera has many from the ground up different developed core mechanics like how pictures are handles and read (not relying on windows libraries). I usually do my online Banking with Opera.

The 3rd thing that comes to mind is that you might actually rather been attacked by a skimming approach. Which is a way of manipulating ATM machines with fake front panels you usually don't notice that create a copy of your card and some hidden camera or hijacked ATM software that captures your PIN.
    So whenever you draw some money from a ATM try to pick only Bank hosted ones and always cover your fingers with the other hand when entering your PIN because there is always a chance that there might be some hidden cam attached or installed somewhere.

As for AV software:
    I have been using free AV
    http://www.free-av.com/
    for many years and it does it's job. But then again I hardly get any viruses at all simply because I avoid browsers such as IE (is blocked in my firewall). So just avoid toolbars and questionable free ware tools and always double check a url of a software your want to download (google search on groups or blogs for example).
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

renderhjs:

Yeah i've been using Firefox up until now for all my banking. I also do most of my shopping online aswell and think this is where i keep getting hit.

That linux idea sound good, any more info on that?

The skimming approach is quite familar to me as i know a few people that have had it done to them. I always try to have a good look at the ATM machine before using one and not looking suspicious myself.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sucks to hear you're credit card numbers have been stolen, best of luck clearing up the trouble that has caused you.

I've been using Avast for years now without issue (I think :susp:).

I personally have a low opinion of windows firewall and spybot, and recommend Comodo firewall (not internet security or av) and Malwarebytes and/or Super Antispyware + Spyware Blaster instead.

Firefox NoScript, Adblock Plus, and Redirect Remover addons help quite a bit, especially NoScript.

And if you want to get really hard core (but not use Linux) then use Sandboxie in conjunction with your browser.

Though the best solution would be running a Linux OS on a separate computer used for secure internet transactions. For a version with minimal fuss try Linux Mint. Don't forget to turn the firewall on though.

Also use crazy complicated and long passwords with all sorts of symbols, numbers, and upper/lower case letters. You can generate some from here GRC's Ultra High Security Password Generator.

Another option is to use those visa gift cards that you see for sale at the grocery store. Sure there's a fee to buy them but all anyone can steal from them is whatever you have left over in them after a purchase.

Anyways with all that said, good luck.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    +1 for nod32. Had no problems at all since starting using it a few years back. £20 a year or something, for me is well worth the cost not to have to worry about all that hassle.

Malwarebytes anti-malware is the only other thing I run every so often, usually comes abck clean anyway, but occasionally there is some crap there from - er - 'reference' gathering, if you know what I mean. ;)
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Btw, Adobe Reader is getting more and more heavy and useless (like a lot of Adobe programs, how a bout making them faster instead of pilling stuff into it??) and I can recommend you getting foxit
    instead, it quite faster then Adobe Reader.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    booth aadobe and foxit can execute applications from within the PDF specifications. The only one that does just displaying PDF's is the open source Sumatra PDF viewer
    http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/download.html
    plus unlike adobe and foxit it does not install a toolbar or other ad\ nag ware.

Opensource is in general a better choice if you care about not getting infected with adwware, online updaters, toolbars and alike.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    My boss just got his debit/credit card ganked because someone skimmed the gas pump reader.
    BofA told him always either use it as credit or the better option, pay inside.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ark wrote: »
    The skimming approach is quite familar to me as i know a few people that have had it done to them. I always try to have a good look at the ATM machine before using one and not looking suspicious myself.

If you can remove anything on the atm using only your own strength, then it has been tampered with, so one trick is to take a hard pull at the parts around the keypad on an atm, an untampered atm cannot get damaged by just that. (some enjoy replacing the keypad part so that your pin can be recorded that way) combine that with a hand covering your typing and you're set.

Also: for firefox get noscript, it'll pretty much make firefox entirely safe until you tell it that a page is trusted enough to run more scripts on. I cannot recommend it enough.

http://noscript.net/
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I switched to cash when my MC# was stolen. And I use a seperate computer that rarly browses the internet to check my online statments. (although uses steam, and gaming)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    regarding Linux Live Cd's aka bootable images on CD roms a good choice is ubuntu:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    burn that on a cd or dvd, shut down your computer insert the disc and turn on your computer.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

renderhjs:

Yeah i've been using Firefox up until now for all my banking. I also do most of my shopping online aswell and think this is where i keep getting hit.

That linux idea sound good, any more info on that?

It's not just ATM's anywhere that your card is physically run though, they can do it. It's probably easier for a retail or fast food employee to set up a skim. If you ever see anyone run your card twice, especially through two separate machines, talk to the manager and don't let that employee out of your sight.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UNetbootin can create a bootable usb from a Linux iso image, if you don't feel like or burning a CD.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the help and suggestions guys.

There wasn't that much taken, two lots of £7 ($20) over a two month period. Im soo stupid that i never bother to check my statements thoroughly and normally just pay the bill unless something is really obviously wrong. Thats how they got away with it, just taking small payments every now and again.

Managed to get a refund from the merchant and got a new card coming from the CC company.

Ben Apuna: Thanks man, managed to get it sorted without any trouble.
    I'll check out those programs you listed aswell.

Eld: Thanks for the tip, although id propbably get arressed here though for trying that. :D

Renderhjs: Thanks for the link, i'll definatly look into this.

Vig: thanks for the info, it never occured to me, about retailers cloning my card, although this would be at the bottom of my suggestions as i hardly ever use it at the retail stores.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We recently solved a $2200 fraudulent charge on one of our accounts.

The investigator at the bank said it turned out to be someone in Nigeria who had a credit card number generator hooked up to a credit card authorization machine, trying number after number until it hit a working one, then they would order car parts (oil filters, spark plugs, etc.) from businesses that would ship overseas.

So even if you're really careful, it's not quite enough just to be on your guard. Check those statements!
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    We recently solved a $2200 fraudulent charge on one of our accounts.

The investigator at the bank said it turned out to be someone in Nigeria who had a credit card number generator hooked up to a credit card authorization machine, trying number after number until it hit a working one, then they would order car parts (oil filters, spark plugs, etc.) from businesses that would ship overseas.

So even if you're really careful, it's not quite enough just to be on your guard. Check those statements!

Damn, that guy must have no fingers left with all that button pressing!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naw, probably a computer program.