Home General Discussion

Nice article on Blitz Games

Hey all, I'm sure a lot of you will have seen this since it's on CGS' front page, but well worth checking out.

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=5685

They may be a studio to watch if you're looking for a job in the UK since they've got a fair few positions open right now and judging by the article, keen to recruit more over the coming months.

I've been turned down twice for junior positions, but they do seem like a great bunch of people, the ones I've spoken to at least.

Nonetheless, looks like a pretty awesome place to work, and this is the first time I've seen inside even though I walk past their office almost every day!

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    since when is blitz games based in london like the article's headline suggests?
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Why does it say Blitz London at the top? Who moved my workplace without telling me? :shifty:
  • Betty Hime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime polycounter lvl 9
    I actually went there for an open day not too long ago (in leamington spa) it looked like an awesome place to work!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had an interview there once, didn't do too well. Gave them a virus (My only internet-connection was at the library, and I'd brought my cv in on a usb-stick. Noob mistake ofcourse)
    I then proceeded to get horribly nervous and tanked, badly.

Leamington-Spa looked like a lovely place, though.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, I thought they pretty much just made barbie games (from my impression when they visited Dare to be Digital). Glad to be proved wrong, they make some cool games and the videos make me want to work there :D Looks like a really good studio.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    Shame they're recruiting for every position except environment artists in the Internship department, would of loved to have a shot.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol I'm guessing the article was edited by someone who doesn't live in the UK, ya know, one of those who think London is the only place in England.
    Wow, I thought they pretty much just made barbie games (from my impression when they visited Dare to be Digital). Glad to be proved wrong, they make some cool games and the videos make me want to work there :D Looks like a really good studio.

HAHAH they do seem to make an awful lot of that kinda game, I think it's just their many different branches though, from what I hear, they're not quite as separate as they make out on their website and in the press.

Shame DTR:Retribution didn't do so well, although the art looks nice enough and that's the important bit right ;P

Also, MrBear... I'd apply for a junior position anyway. I could be wrong, but I've been signed up to their job updates for over a year now and didn't see the junior character artist job Dreamer got come up. They may well get you in even though they're not advertising.

I also know a couple people in their HR team and they work VERY closely with the educational community so Junior level positions are almost exclusively given to students, which is why they may not be advertised externally.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    Lol I'm guessing the article was edited by someone who doesn't live in the UK, ya know, one of those who think London is the only place in England.

HAHAH they do seem to make an awful lot of that kinda game, I think it's just their many different branches though, from what I hear, they're not quite as separate as they make out on their website and in the press.

Shame DTR:Retribution didn't do so well, although the art looks nice enough and that's the important bit right ;P

Also, MrBear... I'd apply for a junior position anyway. I could be wrong, but I've been signed up to their job updates for over a year now and didn't see the junior character artist job Dreamer got come up. They may well get you in even though they're not advertising.

I also know a couple people in their HR team and they work VERY closely with the educational community so Junior level positions are almost exclusively given to students, which is why they may not be advertised externally.

I don't know, I wouldn't want to risk applying then having a reply which clearly stated they werent recruiting for environment artists, would make me appear silly.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Mr Bear wrote: »
    I don't know, I wouldn't want to risk applying then having a reply which clearly stated they werent recruiting for environment artists, would make me appear silly.

~ Booooo. That's a terrible way to live your life. It wouldn't make you appear silly. I would make you appear interested enough in the company to give it a try despite them not actively searching for your chosen role.

I got a job there despite them clearly stating; "we aren't looking for character artists, especially not juniors"

If your don't try at things because you're afraid to fail, you've already lost.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Whats the worse that can happen if you email a studio? We aren't hiring blah blah blah? if you apply there again when they are hiring they might remember you and that can be a good thing, it means you really want a job, and that you have some dedication and are persistent and assertive.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    I've never applied around before since i'm in education, it's a newbie naivity of thinking i'd black-list myself, but you've opened my eyes to the go for it attitude.

Cheers
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Had an interview there once, didn't do too well. Gave them a virus

Oh man, that just made me lol
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    ae. wrote: »
    Oh man, that just made me lol

I love how he ended it with a positive,

" Leamington-Spa looked like a lovely place, though. "
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Bear wrote: »

Yeah forget this thought. I sent two cold shots to them over the last 12 months, admittedly the first one they just said 'We aren't currently recruiting Juniors', but the second time they just said competition is very strong and I was unsuccessful this time ( I think that's their nice way of saying 'you suck' :D ).

However, there is one consideration which may be worth... erm... considering, the letter Blitz sent me on both occasions clearly stated 'We welcome your application again in future, but due to company policy we can only accept one application per applicant every 6 months'.

I don't know how strict they are with that but it might cause a bit of ballache if you apply just as a hopeful when they're not advertising, get turned down because there's no vacancy, then 2 months later a perfect position comes up, then according to their policy, you can't apply.

I don't think it works like that though, I'm pretty sure that policy is only valid when you've actually been unsuccessful for a specific role, so if you are dead set on being a Env Artist, but are tempted to go for a Char Artist job just to get your foot in the door or something, that could be a risk I guess. whereas if they just don't have a vacancy, they'll keep your app on file for a few months.