Home General Discussion

You can not advance?

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
Felt like the quality of the animation alone warrented a post for those who didn't know that the Blu-ray for the latest Evangelion film is now out! As a 2d/3d blend it still really blows me away, hell, its so good even Eva haters should give it a look see just fo the eyecandy - That being said, it is the 2nd of 4 films so if you were truelly interested in the trailer then checking out the first is going to be required... as the story is well, yea. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vM_Ub231Vw[/ame]

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    anime (or a title for anime) and eye candy should NEVER go in the same sentence.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    What's the deal with these Eva films and the "series"?

Are they just a concise version of the series? Are they remakes?

Trailer looks ace.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    The "Rebuild" films are a retelling of the series and so far they seem to be significantly different with new characters in the mix. Afaik Anno is at the helm again but its at his new studio with the help of Gainax - I dont really care what the motives are, if its to shill toys/generate green for the new studio, as the quality of the 2 films so far is just insane and full of EYECANDY.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    even though you have to wade through bad drama and poorly translated existential philosophy just to watch badass giant robots fight for 5 minutes.... evangellion is often worth it. Just look up some fight scenes on youtube if you need proof of that.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I'm tempted to watch this, but I need to know what the ratio is between angsty, androgenous teens vs. solid gold giant robot ass-kickery. Actually, can someone just edit out the melodrama so I can watch the good bits?
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    Ahhhh, I loves me some Eva. Looks badass, I will definitely have to be on the lookout for this.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    This time maybe the end will make sense?
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I look forward to being delighted and confuzzled by this.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    What's the deal with these Eva films and the "series"?

Are they just a concise version of the series? Are they remakes?

Was wondering this myself. I had been lead to believe Eva was finished a long time ago.
    Kick-ass animation though. I tend to forget about the amazing quality of animators in Japan.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    As a 2d/3d blend it still really blows me away

Do they do the characters and props in 3d and then comp it over a 2d background? Is lots of anime done in 3d these days? I'm looking forward to watching another Ghibli movie this weekend.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Officially it's a remake.

Unofficially, it's a sequel.

Personally, I found the second film to be really disappointing, too much action not enough angst. Unlike many, I'm one of the guys who liked Eva for its over-the-roof drama. It doesn't really matter to me whether it had any meaning or not, but I did like that depressing atmosphere they managed to create. IMO, End of Evangelion still remains the highest point in the franchise; mainly because it was a middle finger to the fans, but also because it had some really crazy imagery.

Then again, there are two more films to go and I really really doubt it's going to end happily. Silently I'm hoping for an even bigger mindfuck than EoE; the internet would be set on fire.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nick - So far, theres still angst, but with the introduction of a more aggressive character who will pilot the black eva she could reduce the angst a fair bit. Still, shinji is still shinji and asuka still has issues with her mother. But, in the first 30mins i'd say its about 60/40 to action!

Its a mixture Playdo - I'd hazzard a guess and say most of the time the Evas/vehicles/background people/somebuildings are done in 3d while the static backdrops/fluids/rubble/explosions are all 2d.

I doubt the ending for these 4 films will be anymore conclusive as theyve actually introduced more elements than the first time through and hell, they have less time to rap it up. I thought the End of Evangelion made a fair bit of sense on the surface, in that it was the removal of the ego and turning them all into LCL, but fuck speculating more looking at pretty things.

I'm with you on that tea, i really enjoyed the angst in the series and the mood it sets - the episode when Shinji goes camping and spends ages on the train going back and forth was nicely done, the mood etc in the fields with all the mist while his friend plays with toy guns. And when his friends see how much he struggles while piloting an Eva and begin to understand why he does it begrudgingly - to the extent the dude with the kansai dialect wants to be hit to set the record straight. I could do this for ages D:
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    @teaandcigarettes

End of Eva was awesome and very disturbing. I hope this new movie follows in those footsteps. And I agree, the depressing and weird/disturbing atmosphere is what makes Eva, Eva. Without it....well....then it would be just like any other anime that involves giant fighting robots. :P
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    looks good, but i hate robots.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    divi wrote: »
    looks good, but i hate robots.

Robots in evangelion, hah.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, they're not so much robots, more like organic mecha working on brain activity. Without giving too much away "transplants".

Looks very much like a remake, the production values seem higher. Great story though, quite epic, been a long time since i watched it last.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I thought they were the personification of the emotional turmoils of teenagers going through puberty.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Good point, thats anime for you, theres lots of body rejection though. IE, had a kidney transplant, the kidney i was donored is being rejected type of topic, if my kidney doesn't work, the mech doesn't work. Yeah, its strange that only young people control the mechs, maybe they're sharper than old people.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really dont like anime, exept for studio ghibli films :D
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    That's like saying you don't like cartoons except for Disney films.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    wow its been a while since I've seen anything related to eva... and I was one of the ones who def dug it.. (might of been because I got into it when I was going through my teenage angsty drama phase ;-) )

thanks for the heads up i'll def. have to give this a look.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Ok so is this the second movie in a set of remakes? If so what are both of their names? Are they both of the same quality(2D and 3D)? Links also work, i have been wanting to get the new stuff but have no clue as to what it is that's new.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    Ok so is this the second movie in a set of remakes? If so what are both of their names? Are they both of the same quality(2D and 3D)? Links also work, i have been wanting to get the new stuff but have no clue as to what it is that's new.

TGZ, check out the links below but be aware of spoilers.

Evangelion 1.0

Evangelion 2.0
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ahh ok thanks!

So the first one was released in the US so its at a buy-able price, but the second one WTF? $40 + shipping from japan, yeahhhh i think i'll wait until its released over here, and buy the two for $40 with free shipping.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I don't really understand dislike for anime in any form, because it's just animation.
    Usually what's bad as anime would be bad as anything else, and what's good as anime would also be good as anything else. Though I really do hate a lot of the "Anime-Style" shit people do on deviantart and such websites.
    As a more on topic thing, I have yet to watch any evangelion, but have heard its good from multiple sources.