Home General Discussion

Max 2010 ribbon? Why the QQ?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Hey,
So I started using max 2010 recently and I was wondering what all the crying about the ribbon was for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ribbon is where the graphite modelling tools are listed, right?

If so, there is an option to completely remove it. So what's all the complaining about? Does it really slow down max that much?

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Slowness for some of us.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Quad menu > Ribbon
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marking Menus > Quad Menu.

Is that what we're doing? Just listing stuff that's better than something else?
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Marking Menus > Quad Menu.
    else?

~ Sex with Beautiful Lady > Marking Menus
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    sex with beautiful lady with penor > sex with beautiful lady
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Sex with a zombie > sex with beautiful lady with penor
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what's all the complaining about?
    I dunno ever use it? Ever use polyboost before it was butchered?
    Does it really slow down max that much?
    Depends on a lot of things but for the most part it's slow, buggy and bloated.

The vertical layout was a joke and unusable. Which is the exact opposite of polyboost. Tight compact, floating and vertical.
    Polyboost was easy to call up and dismiss, no 3-10 sec lag.
    The bloat and dead space between inconsistent icon sizes was prolific and impacted so much more than just GMT.
    It screwed with the command panel, slowing normal operations down and driving everyone nuts.
    Not only did you have to learn new junk, but you had to relearn a portion of the old stuff if you wanted to use the new.
    For those of us who would rather use keyboard shortcuts instead of a nasty bloated UI it was a nightmare to find the new polyboost tools in the Customize UI menu.

More here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1094470

It has gotten a little better in 2011 but wow what a way to turn people off by rushing it just to make the yearly release...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the problem, the yearly releases. I think your comment about us living in their construction site was spot on, Vig.
    And I certainly agree the horizontal layout was unjustifiable, so I suspect not a lot of thought went into that. The slowness is also inexcusable, and the promised improvements can't come soon enough for my liking!

Aside from that, though, I do like the format of the ribbon, even though many disagree. There are a lot of things wrong with it, but I don't mind the idea of a slender, functional ribbon in itself, and I look forward to Autodesk moving in that direction.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    If you are clicking buttons and menus all the time instead of using hotkeys, your workflow is too slow anyway.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    If you are clicking buttons and menus all the time instead of using hotkeys, your workflow is too slow anyway.

This is what I have not liked about using Max 2010. I loved all my Maya shortcuts I had setup!!!

I tried to set up some hot keys in Max 10, but it seemed that things did not work in Max like Maya. Duplicate is bonkers, you have to use the clone tool?