Home Technical Talk

Head Reference question

Here's my problem: head reference photos are really hard to find. There are several places, like a thread on CG tantra I think, but since there are so few places to get head references, the only photos that are available are used over and over again by other modelers.

So I've used a head reference photo that was probably used many times by other people (there's not problem with that), and I've successfully created a good head.

But for texturing, it's really difficult to use a photo for a face texture if it doesn't match the head model--it's way easier to use the same face photo that was used for modeling also for the texturing, since it matches and needs very little tweaking.

But if I use one of the head photos (that's probably been used a million times) I used for modeling also for the face texturing, then it will look like the reference image. My point is that I will get a result that people will probably recognize.

I hope I'm explaining this well. I don't know how to get a unique face if I use the head reference that everyone else uses. I could take a picture of someone I know, but the people I know would have to be willing, and even more than that they wouldn't look like the character I'm trying to make.

I could hand paint the face texture, but I'm not very experienced with organic texture painting by hand, and anyway I doubt it would look very photo realistic. Game studios have actors that they can photograph every inch of, and they can use those reference photos for both the model and the texture.

Does anyone know what I mean? I'm not sure how to get a unique head texture that doesn't look like the head reference photo that was used to get that result.

I'm not expecting anyone to post a link full of golden reference that I've never seen before, I was just hoping for some advice on how you would go about face texture painting and getting a unique but realistic result.

Thanks for any advice!

Replies