Home General Discussion

3D Scanners

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
brwnbread polycounter lvl 13
With technology that can scan up to a human hair perfectly, is there any point in specializing in modelling as a career... if you have just started out?

I mean, I know that not everything can be scanned, like things that don't exist. But it can make modelling a lot of other things easier, right? and therefore, its an even lower paid job?

I dunno, I'm just thinking here, what's your opinions?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Utter nonsense, IMHO.

You didn't see traditional artists go out of business or drop lower average pay when the photocopier was invented...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    yep, just like how animators died out with motioncapture.
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coooooool, makes me happy lol
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    also most scan data is useless for anything other than reference material.
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah but.. it can probably really shorten the time used sculpting a face or something, then all you gotta do is retopo, etc
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    most places work with base meshes, so you wouldn't have to waste time starting a face from scratch.

3d scanners are good references for likenesses though.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    eld wrote: »

beat me to it.. this ^

if anything mocap created more jobs, because you now need people to interpret the data then apply it...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    exactly, the more advanced the tech becomes, the more people it requires. Just look at games, 20 years ago you could have one guy being the entire art team, now that number has gone up crazy.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, 3D Scanners will put 3D artists out of business, I just overheard the following:

"dude, we gotta get the new Sims 3 expansion out asap, help me haul this HOTEL into the scanner"

"no point bro, Blizzard are borrowing it to scan female Worgen"

seriously, you answered your question partly in your original question. As well as what's been said about scanned meshes being difficult to work with, think how much of the art content in games is actually non existent in the real world. Even the stuff that has been modelled for realism will often have intentional differences or stylisation.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I hear they've already used 3D scanners on some games to help model cars.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Well the world is coming to "sit on the couch, drink beer while watch TV for the rest of my life because some genious mofo created a bot to do my work for me!!" phase anyways so this isnt surprising.

However; I am pretty sure that they can not pull off the stuff a 3d Artist can do.

For example. Try scanning the Zergling for a test run ^^
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Oh noes! We are all out of jerbS!

>_<

These 3D scanners will kill us all!! kILL US ALL!!!!

On that note, I can see it being a VERY useful tool one day.

Game development costs just exponentially increased from PS2 to PS3, and if this can be used in any way to expediate art creation, then we should definitely embrace it.
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    MoP wrote: »
    Utter nonsense, IMHO.

You didn't see traditional artists go out of business or drop lower average pay when the photocopier was invented...

Even though , brwnbread compares cabbages with apples , he has a valid point.

Take painting and photography : painting revolutionised itself when photography became viable.

Take sculpture and 3d printing + scanning : ( and by sculpture i mean portaiture and the kind of sculpture you use for ornaments or busts , not the one in the arts galleries )

If 3d printing of scans will become a viable alternative to sculpture , it will be like digital photograpy and traditional film photography.
    Digital photography became more of a hobbyist/snapshot activity while traditional remained mostly in the arts realm.
    I mean i can see people making their own sculptures almost as easy as making a digital photo now. ( it might not happen , but i can see it happening :P )

Also on the topic of mocap, you have all probably seen the blue cats avatar review , thats ablut 95% mocap if i understant correctly. So, while animators will not die , they will reorient themselves to do animation that mocap cannot reproduce.

My 2 cents anyway.

Edit :

By no means do i deny that it might become an awesome tool , "to expedite art creation" as JacqueChoi put it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That's an interesting point Mime, I think you're right.

I'm pretty sure I remember Daz talking about using 3d-scanning as a source for likenesses when he was working on the James Bond games at EA.

Obviously it still requires a huge amount of clean-up though, I guess in most cases you'd want to retopo then project the scanned data onto a "clean" sub-d mesh to get a displacement map or raw highpoly.

It's still just another small part of a much bigger pipeline though, 3D scanning by itself isn't really going to achieve anything IMHO.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Mop, the way I remember it is that, some PR guy threw out something like 'Featuring characters 3D scanned from the real actors!!!" whereas it really was Daz and Soul just pushing pixels around the old school was and doing a fantastic job at it ?

Btw. I dont believe in growth of 3D scanners too much. Affordable 3D printers on the other hand ...
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting points, but TBH I never said it would steal jobs...

the point was the demand for a 3d artist might go down(so harder to get a job)... and the salary might go down...

so, like, if you have only just started learning to become a 3d artist, as I pretty much am, is there a point to quit while your ahead and learn something similar but different?

NOT THAT I AM SAYING all I care about is da moneh.

But reading all your posts, I am convinced that it shouldn't be too bad.

HEY maybe it will make the salary go up as you would only need artists that can do unrealistic stuff, etc, i dunno

another point is, technology advances. So by the time I'm a few years into industry, there might be affordable scanners which scan perfectly down to every atom, and software which can retopologize for you... AND unwrap and texture the thing lol...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    So you are saying that building a maquette in clay, paint it , add fur, varnish it, weather it, then scan it, might be faster and more efficient than making a model of it. Down to the atom yeah hehe

Why you think that this kind of things would lower the salary offered to 3d artists is beyond me ...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well, they used 3d scanners to capture likenesses for the guitar hero games, as well as mocap for the animating.
    source:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxW2obMNzLA[/ame]

however, there's also an artistic style to the GH series that scanning and mocap just cannot produce, so of course there are "traditional" artists (traditional here being relevent to the conversation) creating that style from reference material supplied by uber wtf tools.
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    So you are saying that building a maquette in clay, paint it , add fur, varnish it, weather it, then scan it, might be faster and more efficient than making a model of it. Down to the atom yeah hehe

Why you think that this kind of things would lower the salary offered to 3d artists is beyond me ...

obviously some things would be easier to just model, but some things wont...

for example, say, a bottle or gun or a human that is already made.(I dunno how big they are now, but im guessing they can get really big in the future...)

the scanner is set up, so u can do things one after the other, really quick. u scan in. it scans perfectly, retopologizes it perfectly, and textures it... perfectly.

it would take no time at all if it was all set up right.

and yeah, ok, it probably wont lower the salary, but the demand for 3d artists wouldnt be as big, right?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i've worked a fair bit with 3d scans at my last job. results are good and not just useful for reference. scanners don't just capture a mesh (which is still fairly messy but in some cases suitable as a direct hi-detail source instead of a sculpt from zbrush or similar).
    the real deal for me was the good texture output you get from a scan - so if you do a nice retopo-job, you get a detailed, photorealistic texture with it that fits like a glove on an organic looking hi-res mesh that has a lot of subtle detail you don'T see in most people's sculpts.

creating a likeness from some lined-up photos is a joke in comparison, takes ages and - unless the artist is downright amazing - will probably end up looking manufactured and inferior in some way.

at least for now the process has a number of pitfalls though and it isn't exactly driving people out of work, more like changing the realities of the job. it can give you way better, more consistent results in less time than if you did it the manual way but i found it tends to make the work dull/repetitive: there's not much need for face sculpts and handpainted textures when using 3d scans and you'll spend your time patching up and baking textures mainly.

still, if the production requires a realistic look at a high standard like so many games nowadays, you'd be outright stupid not to utilize a scanner.

edit: referring to scanning humans (actors) for characters here, not props nor furries (scanners don't capture hair well at all) ;)
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    eld wrote: »

that is not true. Motion capture is a great starting point for previs, game animation, etc. But the data need to be integraded, so motion editors are needed. Drake fortune got 60% mocap and 40% keyframe layered on top as i remember. Mocap is fast and relative cheep compared to keyframe animation, but there are limits, i think there will always be keyframe animators. How do you want to mocap a dragon? :D
  • dempolys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude wrote: »
    that is not true. Motion capture is a great starting point for previs, game animation, etc. But the data need to be integraded, so motion editors are needed. Drake fortune got 60% mocap and 40% keyframe layered on top as i remember. Mocap is fast and relative cheep compared to keyframe animation, but there are limits, i think there will always be keyframe animators. How do you want to mocap a dragon? :D

DUDE. He was being sarcastic. He's agreeing with you, there was no need to defend animators.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    brwnbread wrote: »
    the scanner is set up, so u can do things one after the other, really quick. u scan in. it scans perfectly, retopologizes it perfectly, and textures it... perfectly.

it would take no time at all if it was all set up right.

That would be awesome if that were even possible i think, then the artists don't need to focus on making the boring stuff anymore :). I'm not worried about this stuff at all, just see it as an extra tool to get things done. If you think you could possibly be replaced by a robot, then you should really reconsider your worth or priorities as an artist imo..
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never said replace. ever..