Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Head & mini guides

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
Bald guy with scar on his face :P Original I know! The purpose of this project was to learn some new rendering and shading techniques. I plan to use theses on some more ambitious projects in the future.

I've been posting him up for a while now, I actually called him finished at one point in my sketchbook but after looking back on it after a couple of week's I decided I wasn't really very happy with it. I originally rendered it mental ray with multiple passes, but then went on to trying 3Delight (xsi's renderman). I'm glad I went back and reworked it because I'm defiantly happier with the results. 3Delights great, easy to learn and fast render times (about 5 mins per frame for a full pass!)

head_render_005.jpg

Checkout the video below, there's some frames I need to re render as you will notice the shadows on the ear flicker :( got to figure that out tomorrow! Ergh i'll change the background also, not looking so hot in motion.
vim.jpg (Linked)

I wrote a quick eye setup for some friends and thought you guys may find it useful. I'm also going to do another short one for displacement baking and setup from mbox to xsi in the week :) I first learnt about these techniques from my old art lead Ted. These may not be the 'right' way to do things but it's what worked for me.

eye.jpg

If anyone wants to see some progress shots feel free to checkout my sketchbook. So all have to do now is fix that issues in the turn around vid and I'm heading on back to the dragophant :D

cheers,
Adam.

P.S Thanks to Daniele, Ted and Sue for critting me up and advice on different techniques!

Replies