Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Street Fighter "Ryu"..

Hi I am shilkhar , very much new to Polycount, and this z my first post here, I am very much interested in character modeling ...n i m already pretty much into sculpting as well. so anyone here please help me out and tell me whats d best way to create a character for game.. from scratch .. Sculpt, retotpology, uv layouts, Baking and texturing etc etc .. when to do what ? I am confused among so many diff. pipelines.. please guide me.. I'll b grateful to you... well take a look at what I am creating right now... please comment and help me so that I can proceed.. with a good approach.

- Thanks
Shikhar || 3D Artist

Replies

• Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet sculpt for sure, it would be nice if you posted it within a Image tag URLLINKHERE so we can see your pics directly in the thread.

My current favorite char is Cody, might start working on him. But im not to good with characters.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    the Body itself looks very good imho, but the face doesn´t remind me of Ryu at all.
    And the order you said (Sculpt,Retopology,Uv Mapping, texturing) is a quite common one.
    There can be some changes like making a basemesh in Max,XSI,Maya etc. before Sculpting.
    The baking process should be done between uv and texturing(if you see this as part of texturing, nevermind this)

Edit:
    The head is rather small btw.
  • shikharsharma1987
    Thanks visceral for ur comment, as dis z my 1st comment dat i got here on polycount, thanks a lot budy.
  • shikharsharma1987
    hey thanks SpeCter, I'll work on ur suggestion .. will work on the face, but I ddnt get the process u mentioned, how can I bake maps before sculpt .. please clarify.. i m really in a need of help as to how should i complete it.. :-)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    hey thanks SpeCter, I'll work on ur suggestion .. will work on the face, but I ddnt get the process u mentioned, how can I bake maps before sculpt .. please clarify.. i m really in a need of help as to how should i complete it.. :-)

To clarify this:
    You bake out your maps after the UV Mapping step.
    For a more detailed explanation look into your Thread in the Technical Section.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73619
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Please don't type like a 13 year old chav... But as for the model its looking good.
  • shikharsharma1987
    well I have already been scolded for using abbreviations here n there, I m extremely sorry for this. It will never be repeated again.. I m extremely sorry for it.. I admit its a really bad habit that I carry.. and above all I would like to thank u for the appreciation.. Thanks a ton sir.
    -Thanks
  • shikharsharma1987
    and plz help, how do I post under tag... its not working
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    attachment.php?attachmentid=63&d=1275308872
    guess thats a thing for adam, it works in the preview
    will send him a link
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Neox wrote: »
    attachment.php?attachmentid=63&d=1275308872
    guess thats a thing for adam, it works in the preview
    will send him a link

Thanks, on it!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    well I have already been scolded for using abbreviations here n there, I m extremely sorry for this. It will never be repeated again.. I m extremely sorry for it.. I admit its a really bad habit that I carry.. and above all I would like to thank u for the appreciation.. Thanks a ton sir.
    -Thanks

you apologized for your bad grammar in a post chock full of "m" and "u"

the sculpt is looking pretty good, not a bad way to start a polycount career, art wise that is.
  • Gerasimimumu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, leave the man alone, he's English isn't that great clearly - it is NOT hard to understand what he's saying, if you all take the extra second to think.... this is an art site for showing off and critique, not f**king grammar school.

'nice sculpt' and then a paragraph about his typing is completely useless to anyone who needs critique on his work. Better to type like a 13 year old than to critique like one.

His body is pretty good, like it was said, but his face is too 'dry'. In the game it is more meaty, plump and more round. He has a very strong jaw line (in the original) and a defined nose, but apart from that, we should not see soo much scull under his skin.

Keep at it,
    Gera
  • shikharsharma1987
    Thanks, I will work on it.. and I assure you people, that I am not going to use "m" and "u" or any kind of abbreviation again .. please forgive me. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee." :D
    and I am happy that you people are appreciating my work, Thanks for this and apologies for those badly abbreviated words.. I will post the rectified sculpt soon, as per your suggestions . actually there is not a proper reference of his face that I could find, every version has some changes to his looks . I think I should work on his "street Fighter- 4" looks.. please suggest .

- Thanks
  • Gerasimimumu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally, I would recommend going for Ryu from street fighter 2 - if you do the SF4 Ryu, you have to compete with it, and it is a new game which had a LOT of work put into it, by multiple people - you are just one.

This is what I remember from the posters and imaged I have seen:

Ryu-1.gif

Of course, there are many different pictures, some are skinnier, some are more square in shape, but overall, I feel this is the more "naturalistic" one, unless you want to work from this:

SF_II_Ryu_Ken_2--article_image.jpg

which was art limited by the amount of pixels they can put on screen and the TV quality.

Gera
  • shikharsharma1987
    @Gera well I think u r rite Gera, I should think about it.. I will be doing some tweaking in the sculpt here and there, specially to the face structure. I will have to work on his body proportions as well to match this look.. but will keep it close to the latest one..(which is a pretty heavy guy) I really like this version. Thanks a lot, and please let me know if you have any suggestions for it.. thanks.

@Nerf Bat Ninja ha ha... Nice one. Now I definitely need to work on it, I do not want him to resemble this guy for sure.. Thanks for your comment buddy.
  • Gerasimimumu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you also have a lot of work left on the pants' folds. There is no 'natural tension points' on them right now. I'll wait for an update to crit further.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 15
    Good sculpt, good anatomy. I'd concur on a squarer jaw.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    www.totalvideogames.com_67253_ryu_002_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

Imo the Ingame face looks kinda funky, but yeah his chinbones are bigger and gives a moore bulky impression.

@gera: lol that super street fighter 2 avatar looks horrible. :D haha