Home General Discussion

MEGA LAPTOP DESTROYER

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Kessler polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys, I just need some advice about girls.... just foolin'. I wish to sell my tower and laptop and get a mega laptop workstation. I want to crush all the art goods like max zbro and photoshop and my audio soft like ableton live. I was thinking of a powerhouse gaming laptop or the Dell Precision M6500 Mobile Workstation. Do any of you guys run this kind of setup? I can max out at 3k.

p.s. I am also going to be laying in bed playing world of warcraft eating pop tarts with my gaming pan. RAID NIGHT!

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd personally think about keeping a desktop around, I doubt spending 3k vs 2k is going to give a much better computer,

I need to check more reviews but Toshiba's site was down, but this looks pretty nice.
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Qosmio-X505-Q880-TruBrite-18-4-Inch/dp/B00305HS7K[/ame]
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem with 'workstation' laptops is that they're often so damn big and heavy that it's like carrying a desktop round anyway, and even then you don't get a decent enough sized display to do any serious work on.

Of course you could plug in an external display, but then surely you may as well just use a desktop?

I worked with just one laptop for about 2 years and the only benefit really was having all my files in one place. However, with the likes of DropBox, other folder syncing software and USB3.0, moving files between computers is so quick and easy now that this is irrelevant.

Zac is right, the cost ratio isn't really gonna make it worth it. You pay more for higher spec'd laptops and unless you literally NEED that portability, it's just not usually worth it.

If the only game you play is WoW, then you don't really need an ultra spec laptop, I run a MacBook Pro 13 laptop which runs WoW fine, and handles all 3D apps completely acceptably under Win7 via BootCamp. The MacBook Pro is a pretty low average spec too, and unless I'm throwing around multi-million poly sculpts/scenes then it never seems to struggle.

I built myself a high-specc'd PC and kept my MacBook Pro and it's like the perfect setup. I get ultra performance for work and current-gen gaming on my desktop, and then the option to do work on the go or play some WoW (and use OS X which is an added bonus) on my MacBook... and I got all that for less than $3k (granted, I got an edu discount on the MacBook and already had a decent display for the desktop).

Just my two cents!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i have the xps 1730 which when i bought it about 2 years ago was the biggest baddest laptop around, its heavy really puts out heat, battery barely lasts an hour. the sound card is glitchy and stutters a lot and no matter what i try i cant get it behaving properly. now i can only play modern pc games by turning the settings down to low, and upgrading hardware is either a huge pain or impossible. i totaly wish i woulda just got a nice desktop system at half the price. and spent the remainder of the money on a reindeer

now i'm
    0511-0809-0313-1322_Mad_Guy_Stomping_His_Laptop_Computer_clipart_image.255163613_std.png
    and i could be this
    v8-case-mod.jpg
    +
    399956820UvKfme_fs.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    v8-case-mod.jpg

399956820UvKfme_fs.jpg

See what I mean? Those workstation laptops are huge... and you'd never get any decent work done on those displays, even though there are 2.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    One word, cooling.
    You can't beat the ability for cooling in a desktop. Cooling on a laptop for running these types of applications, especially multiples at one time as well as intense operations, you are running a serious risk of damaging the cpu and other components. It might cool fine now, but give it time, you will see some hardcore problems down the road. You can't upgrade a laptop as easy as you can a desktop (graphics, memory). Well, you can, but not as easily, and if you get something that can be upgraded, you'll be paying a pretty penny for it.
    I worked on only a laptop for about 5 or 6 years, and built a new desktop earlier this year, and I will NEVER go back. The ability to take anything anywhere is the ONLY benefit of a laptop, but you will be hard pressed to get the performance and stability of a desktop without dropping some serious coin. And if you're looking at a tablet, fuck that. I'd rather be strapped to my desk with my intuous. Let's not even get into software/hardware compatibility issues.

Build a desktop yourself.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeap my laptops have never lasted longer than maybe half a year untill the cooling wasnt really working as it should.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I had a power laptop and it really just turned into a portable workstation... it would only last 30 minutes on battery and would charbroil your lap. I would bring it to work and hook a second monitor, kb, mouse and tablet up to it, I had about 4-5 hours of quiet time during the night shift so I worked on my portfolio.

I recently picked up a EEEpc netbook just for email/web when traveling.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laptop workstation = oxymoron
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I have a big bad-ass Alienware m15x, got it from work. Not my first choice, actually, i would't even consider buying one, but hey, the boss really really wanted them (he got one too).
    It's extremely heavy, over-the-top flashy (pimp my ride style) and barely fits in a regular size backpack. It's also got THE WORST TRACKPAD EVER. Seriously, I hate using it, so unresponsive. I would never want to sit in bed with it.
    That being said it's very fast, runs UDK great, renders decently, boots fast, etc...

But.... my 1.5 year old desktop, that probably only cost half is still faster...
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW thanks for the tips guys! this is really helping me make a decision. The weight thing isnt really and issue for my cause I am very strong but I think that I will keep my tower and just get a high powered gaming laptop so that I may do work when around. I was originally thinking about a tablet laptop for concept art but they seem to have weak ass lag. So all in all I will just get a new laptop of a normal price. Thanks guys you are the best.
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that I will stick my my favorite Taiwanese brand ASUS.... I love their tag line.... "Rock Solid Heart Touching" HAHAHHAHA
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    i have the xps 1730 which when i bought it about 2 years ago was the biggest baddest laptop around, its heavy really puts out heat, battery barely lasts an hour. the sound card is glitchy and stutters a lot and no matter what i try i cant get it behaving properly. now i can only play modern pc games by turning the settings down to low, and upgrading hardware is either a huge pain or impossible. i totaly wish i woulda just got a nice desktop system at half the price. and spent the remainder of the money on a reindeer

Totally off topic, but to stop your sound stuttering, make sure you installed the update for your laptop that was a firmware upgrade for the HDD that is installed on your laptop. I know it sounds totally unrelated and stupid, but I had to do it at work on a bunch of our Dell E6400 and E4300 laptops and it fixed the stuttering/broken sound issue.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    God, but the freedom to go outside with a laptop. Work on the patio on a nice day versus being stuck in a room.

(Oh and Rhino: It's a Dell dude)
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    heh 3k, too much money.

With less than 1000 dollars i can build a better desktop than a 3k laptop. If you are going to travel, well that's another thing, but to have it in a room... ugghh
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I was into the idea of just rocking some zbro out on the porch or library that kind of jazz. Asus seems to have some priced around 1700 CAD that look wicked sick.
  • ioster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you really expect to spend a lot of time with 3D, you're going to want a couple of monitors. Once you strap on an additional monitor you loose the portability. But if you want to spend 2x what you need to get the ability to not have the best workflow, but to not have it in public, then knock yourself out.
  • fill3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fill3r polycounter lvl 12
    I thought the same 4 years ago. LAPTOP WORKSTATION! I get to work outside, bring my work with me wherever I was.

Bad Idea

I picked up at alienware m7700 with a quadro card and all the bells and whistles.
    199593.jpg
    Ive gone through 3 video cards on it. Battery last less then an hour new and now I cant even run anything with out it being plugged in. It was like a mini heater in my room. Don't even think about setting on your lap, gets way to hot and you end up blocking one of the 4 fans on the bottom. Save yourself some cash and heartache head over to new egg and build a DESKTOP system like I finally did this year.