Home General Discussion

Bioware Ireland?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Edmonton+BioWare+expands+Ireland/3073339/story.html

Video game company BioWare is opening a 200-employee customer service and operations centre in Galway, Ireland, parent company Electronic Arts said Wednesday.The investment in the centre, which it says will put it closer to its European players, is being supported by the Irish government’s Industrial Development Association fund.
Redwood, Cal.-based EA will maintain its existing BioWare studios in Edmonton, Montreal, Fairfax, Virginia and Austin, Texas, said Ray Muzyka, BioWare co-founder and EA senior vice-president.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    "customer service and operations" so does that mean it will be a studio or what?
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    I read about it this morning actually, while i was checking my facebook updates :) But they shared this through there Dragon Age Facebook Group:

"Dragon Age: Top o' the mornin' to yas! I know this isn't Dragon Age news, but I think it is pretty darned cool. BioWare is opening a new studio in Gallway Ireland! If you want to work for the best studio in the Emerald Isle, check out the jobs page for details." Clicky Me For Moar :)
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oo I love galway and have family there!
    One of the best places to drink and eat fish n chips the day after.
    Probably also the place i met the most americans ever :D
    Nice to see that the island is given some love after many of the big players left.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    Oo I love galway and have family there!
    One of the best places to drink and eat fish n chips the day after.
    Probably also the place i met the most americans ever :D
    Nice to see that the island is given some love after many of the big players left.

I'd love to live anywhere but north america for a while :D just for inspiration, change of scenery and change of people
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow I didn't even know they had a studio in Fairfax, thats cool.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    while it mentions the word "studio" on the Bioware page, I fail to see any hint about this place producing 3D art (yet). So far it only hints to network support and customer support, but not any art roles. Let's hope they're not using the word studio as synonym for "office"
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    KhAoZ wrote: »
    Wow I didn't even know they had a studio in Fairfax, thats cool.

The division breakdown, I think, is something like:

• Bioware Edmonton: original ip
    • BioAustin: SWKOTOR mmorpg
    • BioMontreal: cinematics/ r&d (? not sure)
    • BioFairfax: taking care of mythic property (maybe theyll close this down first)
    • BioGalway: Euro customer service, expansion pack/dlc team (guessing)
    • Who knows, they might even open a branch in Vancouver for handheld games.