Home General Discussion

Split Second

mod
Anyone playing it?

I got it on tuesday. Pretty fun racing game if i do say so myself. AND, you can play split screen! the last like 5 racing games i got you couldnt. so im happy!

I love how there are course changing power plays. makes for an interesting race

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Nah. Blur already won me over. I have too many good racing games as it is. You can't beat an adult version of Mario Kart.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got done playing the demo (cause the power went out right before I finished the last lap). Reminds me a lot of Downhill Domination which is my favorite racing game. Think I'll pick this one up soon.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    The demo was pretty good, just felt pretty soulless to me and the demo felt really slow, do you get boost in the retail game? the reviews have been really good for it so far, but alot of people seem pissed that theres only 11 tracks. I picked up need for speed shift the other month and nothing seems to compare anymore, Forza/GT prologue was crap and boring in comparison.

I thought the visuals were awesome though, VFX look much better in the final game than in the demo which had a few ugly particle systems here and there
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I was interested in it, until I listened to shacknews podcast, then my attention went to Blur. The split second demo was interesting, but I could see me getting bored with the same stuff getting destroyed, plus the game trailers review said the computer cheats a lot. I liked Blur multiplayer, because you could save that powerup when you needed it :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I never got a chance to play blur. the demo stopped before i could download it. blah.

What i like about split second is the different types of races. theres 1 mode where you have to drive as long as possible and there is a helipcopter shooting missles at you, so you have to dodge them. for every wave of missles you survive, you get more points. and then there is one where you are driving in a spillway, and a big rig is dropping explosive barrels at you. same thing. every truck you pass, you get points.

11 tracks? i havnt made it very far just yet. but the tracks you play are constantly changing because of power ups.

I heard blur wasnt very polished. the videos i saw look pretty cool, but the people i know who have played it say it didnt play very well. so i went for split second.

NFS: Shift is definitely THE racing game to get, if you`re looking for realistic. SS and blur definitely dont fall into that category though.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Rented it, pretty fun but not really a keeper for me. I prefer a bit more serious racer games.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    slipsius wrote: »
    What i like about split second is the different types of races. theres 1 mode where you have to drive as long as possible and there is a helipcopter shooting missles at you, so you have to dodge them.

Blur is like that...but instead of one helicopter, you have several players chasing you in cars shooting missiles, and bombs, and artillery, etc.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I see EU PC customers got the short end of the stick. Exclusive to D2D at an extortionate price (£40) with no retail distribution in EU.

I would have payed the £40 if the port had actaully had work put into it, but a 30fps cap - especially in a racing game and hardly any graphic options.